• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor id - Kruger NP, South Africa (1 Viewer)

To me, it still looks alot like the pale juvenile Eurasian Honey Buzzard shown in my "Birds of Kenya" field guide, by Zimmerman, et. al. (Page 96, Plate 39, illustration 6c). I believe the Honey Buzzard size is 52-60 cm. Any comments!

Larry Lade said:
To me, it still looks alot like the pale juvenile Eurasian Honey Buzzard shown in my "Birds of Kenya" field guide, by Zimmerman, et. al. (Page 96, Plate 39, illustration 6c). I believe the Honey Buzzard size is 52-60 cm. Any comments!

I agree that the plumage is similar to some of the paler honeys but the head and specifically the nostril and bill shape is wrong. I still think that pale Wahlberg's is a better fit or pale Booted Eagle, if it occurs in SA. I don't quite see it as a Common Buzzard (I've seen one that is much whiter than this).

Size seems to be the main sticking point here, the species I've named here all fall into the 45-60cm range.

Andy.

Wahlberg's Eagle

The first call was the correct one. The bird in the photos is a Wahlberg's Eagle

Jon

pete woodall said:
Hi Andy

I don't think that it is Dickinson's Kestrel, as suggested with your first posting. The jizz is all wrong for that.

I'll stick my neck out and suggest a (very) pale phase of Wahlberg's Eagle. There are illustrations in SASOL and Roberts that look similar to your bird but have a dark smudge through the eye. I'm guessing that this mark could disappear in an even paler phase.

It would be useful to know whether it had a feathered tarsus (=Aquila eagle) or not).

Pete

I think we can all agree that it isn't a Kestrel. Size is easy to mis-judge, not at least because measurements given in guides are total lenght, this being the lenght of the bird from tail to bill if stretched out. Good arguments have already been presented why it isn't an Eurasian Honey Buzzard. Doesn't look like any juv. Common Buzzard I have seen; they also have pale eyes (unlike the dark-eyed adults). Several people have already given what I consider the right ID for this bird. Not only based on colour, but also shape (especially head & bill) I have little doubt in calling this a Wahlberg's. Looks spot on to me.

Last edited:
TwoBoy said:
I have just posted a picture of a Wahlbergs Eagle, http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/35104/sort/1/cat/500/page/1 - No way is it the same bird - this bird is approximately half its size so I just cannot accept that it is a WE. They are totally different in both size and colour

First, colour is fine for Wahlberg's. There are several different morphs ranging from very dark, to brown, to pale (like the bird in this thread). Check your guide and it will probably show several of these morphs or at least mention them in the text. Furthermore, there are NO RAPTORS OF THE SIZE YOU MENTION (APPROX. 30 CM) THAT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THIS ON WORLDWIDE BASIS. Hence, there really only is one possibility and that is Wahlberg's. Your photo in post #22 also show the typical head & bill shape of this species. I know you may find it hard to accept, but its a fact. Sightings of Wahlberg's isn't a bad thing in any way. They are absolutely beautiful raptors, in particular the relatively rare pale morph featured in this thread.

Last edited:
me1000 is right - perhaps it is a little one? I refer back to post #27. The size is about right give or take 5cm. To me this means it is remarkably small to appear to be a WE as this bird looks reasonably mature and did not have the appearance of a juvenile.

To me the bird looks like an obvious immature Whalberg's Eagle (see page 107 of Sasol guide). Scaly looking grey wings and mantle. Pure white underbody and head. There appears to be no alternative. Structure and size looks spot on too.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back