• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey (1 Viewer)

amwaluk

Hi all,
New member,names Andy and I am in Inverness,Scotland. I work on a miliotary air weapons range and see allsorts of birds daily.
Came across this fellow on my way home tonight but am unsure as to species,anyone help?
I managed to get within 2m of him/her!!was very humbling,it just carried on feeding.Pic is low resolution for the forum but can send better quality if required and different angles.

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• Bird of Prey1.JPG
    Bird of Prey1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 321
As requested and thanks for the welcome.

Andy

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 308
  • Bird of Prey1.JPG
    Bird of Prey1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Bird of Prey 016.jpg
    Bird of Prey 016.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 270
I guess it could be a very pale Common Buzzard, but it's quite an odd looking combination of colours (very rufous above). I wonder if it might be some sort of escape though, in which case it looks quite reminiscent of an American Ferruginous Hawk. Would be interested to see more pictures and hear more opinions though.

Well Im gonna call your bluff here, I reckon its a songbird deterent used on military airfields, and one or two civvy ones like cardiff, three things give it away????

over to you?

Sharp intake of breath. This has to be a Falconer's bird-possibly Ferruginous Hawk. At first glance I thought it looked like an immature Bonelli's Eagle -course they're two a penny in Inverness!! ;)

Well Im gonna call your bluff here, I reckon its a songbird deterent used on military airfields, and one or two civvy ones like cardiff, three things give it away????

over to you.

I have PM'd Fifebirder saying the same thing. Just a "hint" of jesse's on the legs!!

Malky @ Westhill

Hi,
No honestly,no bluff. We have no bird deterrent at Tain and as I say I am familiar with the buzzards in the area. I was very suprised as to how close I managed to get to the bird though.

Regards
Andy

2 more for your perusal

Attachments

• Bird of Prey 018.jpg
    Bird of Prey 018.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Bird of Prey 019.jpg
    Bird of Prey 019.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 239
Steve,
Yes the pic on the right shows the fence where my car was.I went over the fence to take the pic.I can understand your misbelief,it certainly suprised me!

I can't see any jesses on it for sure, although the legs are mostly obscured. That said the tameness of it makes me think it's a captive bird and, having seen the new pictures, I'd still favour Ferruginous Hawk.

I'm sure this is a Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalis) if so then there's a disgruntled falconer out there somewhere. There are no shortage of Falconry centres in Scotland-many attached to local tourist attractions > get your celebrity shortbread & feed the raptors!

Pale phase Ferruginous Hawk for me too. An escape of course, as Steve G hints it is probably a fairly valuable bird, there might perhaps be a reward out if you manage to catch it.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Pale phase Ferruginous Hawk ...... it is probably a fairly valuable bird, there might perhaps be a reward out if you manage to catch it.

Michael
Try baiting it with shortbread.

Thanks for the info.I will try and relocate the bird tomorrow and attempt to feed it.Certainly never crossed my mind at the time it could be an escapee.

amwaluk said:
Thanks for the info.I will try and relocate the bird tomorrow and attempt to feed it.Certainly never crossed my mind at the time it could be an escapee.
Remember they seem to prefer cobalt budgies. ;)

Hi Andy. I see you've gotten pretty much the same answer here as on the About Forum. Let me offer you a warm welcome from the staff here at Bird Forum. See, it didn't take too long for someone to get to you :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back