• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in my bedroom please identify (1 Viewer)

bjrosen

A bird managed to get into my house somehow. I think he's a nuthatch but I'm not sure. Please identify. Thanks

Attachments

• newton.jpg
    newton.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi BJ and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It's not a nuthatch, it's one of your wrens, but I don't know which one. I'll move your post to the ID forum and subscribe you to the thread so you an keep track of it.

I'm sure you'll soon know what it is.

Looks like a Carolina Wren.
The poor thing is not likely to be comfortable in the current MA weather, with snow depth in feet.
They will eat suet at a pinch, but prefer small insects, so mealworms would be great if you have a feeder set up.
Do note that they cannot be kept captive by federal law.

They've been eating sunflower seeds along with the chickadees, titmice, cardinals and morning doves. I've had two birds get into my house in the last week, I don't know how they are doing it. The first one wasn't so lucky, my cat's done him in, found it in the middle of the living room carpet with my cat's staring at it. This one was luckier, I managed to get him out of the house before my cats caught him.

Carolina wren is right. I've got one overwintering in a nest under my back deck, we say hello to each other every time I go fetch firewood from the pile. Seems to be doing fine. Yesterday morning it squeezed its way into our screened-in porch; I had to do a bit of shoveling so I could open the door and let it out.

Good thinking, KC. It's hard to imagine a hole in the house that escapes BJ's notice, especially in the winter - just walk around and feel the freezing air currents! If there's a cat door, that could be the explanation, with or without the help of the cat. ETA: A single wren isn't too suspicious - they like to explore small openings and I wouldn't be shocked to see one getting through a cat flap. But two different birds in a short time makes the cat a prime suspect.

Last edited:
Cat not bringing them in

My cat's are indoor cats so they can't be responsible for bringing the birds in. Also they are terrible hunters due to lack of experience. I occasionally get a mouse in the house and my can't almost never catch it. My house was built in 1820 so there are lots of ways for mice to get in but I can't figure out how a bird could do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back