• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Cuckoo in Sarawak (1 Viewer)

tony.saw

Hi
Is this simply a Large Hawk Cuckoo? Picture taken 30/03/2018 near Bakalalan, Sarawak. I've added a picture of Bock's Hawk Cuckoo taken the day before in a similar location.
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Bock's Hawk Cuckoo.jpg
    Bock's Hawk Cuckoo.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 49
It's a young bird, Tony - do you have any showing the upperparts? Best way to tell immature Bock's from Large is colour of the upperparts (grey vs brown).

James

I've just checked my copy of Phillipps and it states Large Hawk Cuckoo is a vagrant with only 5 records. Is that an accurate description of its status, James?

I've just checked my copy of Phillipps and it states Large Hawk Cuckoo is a vagrant with only 5 records. Is that an accurate description of its status, James?

I believe it's a scarce visitor, not sure on the number of records, but likely more than five - I've only seen it once, along the Kinabatangan in Sabah. On migration in Peninsular Malaysia they are very much a coastal lowland migrant.

Thanks for the answers. We thought it might be a juvenile because of the little amount of brown around the throat, but were confused by the markings on the throat. So a juvenile Bock's.
Thanks
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back