• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit for ID - 08APR2018 - India (1 Viewer)

It looks superficially like Richard's with that strong brow, apparently pale lores and rather upright posture, but the ear-coverts are warmly-coloured, creating a cheek-patch, and the hind claw doesn't look that long. It's also not really pot-bellied. I'm wondering if there might be a loral stripe covered by loose feathers. Any other images?

Last edited:
It looks superficially like Richard's with that strong brow, apparently pale lores and rather upright posture, but the ear-coverts are warmly-coloured, creating a cheek-patch, and the hind claw doesn't look that long. It's also not really pot-bellied. I'm wondering if there might be a loral stripe covered by loose feathers. Any other images?

No other pics unfortunately.

I'm thinking one of four: Richard's: I agree about the ear coverts and there is a genral lack of contrast in the streaking; for Tawny it lacks the contrast in the median coverts and the white outer tail feathers point to Richards. I think Blyth's would show more contrasting median coverts too. It does lack that robust appearance but has been captured in the photograph in a particularly elongated stretched pose. What about Paddyfield Pipit? My experience of them is a rather hunched horizontal jizz, running with a flat back a lot but the photograph may have caught one in a different pose and they can show warmer ear-coverts and don't have such a long hind claw.

What about Paddyfield Pipit? My experience of them is a rather hunched horizontal jizz, running with a flat back a lot but the photograph may have caught one in a different pose and they can show warmer ear-coverts and don't have such a long hind claw.

This was my thinking too.

buff flanks - could that indicate Paddyfield Pipit please

I'm not sure that the colour of the flanks excludes the others but it is certainly ok for Paddyfield, as is the lack of contrast in the wings and mantle and the warm ear coverts. I'd be happier with dark lores but they can occur with pale lores so I'll nail my colours to the mast for Paddyfield Pipit

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back