• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID American Warbler (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

Can you ID this American Warbler, caught and banded in northwest Missouri. Picture taken by Jack Hilsabeck.

Attachments

• bbwa 090603.jpg
    bbwa 090603.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 320
More help

Here is a photo of the "tail spots" on the under tail. This might help you with the ID.

Attachments

• bbwa 090603b.jpg
    bbwa 090603b.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 315
I really messed that up, didn't I?

I forgot that I labelled the picture with the bird's ID and the photographer?

Well, anyway, this is an oft times difficult American warbler to ID in the fall of the year because of its similarity to the Blackpoll Warbler and the Pine Warbler. We had never captured one in the nets before today and had to study it for fifteen or twenty minutes before we were able to come up with its identity.

Sorry for the "mis-fire",

Larry

LOL, well I was going to say Bay-breasted but you caught your mistake. It's a beautiful warbler Larry.

O.K., Larry, now that I know what one looks like, perhaps I can find one soon (Missing on COMAL). May have seen one yesterday, but it disappeared into a cedar thicket before I could get a look at legs or undertail to be certain.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back