• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Wagtails and ID check (1 Viewer)

Sumit

Hi,
White Wagtails winter in the Kolkata (Calcutta) city area and the 1st lot is already in. I have noticed that a lot of them land together and then disperse over a few days.

This morning saw a large batch at my local golf club and interestingly there seemed to be 3 sub-species in attendance.
While dukhunensis is the regular visitor, leucopsis can also be seen. What puzzled me was the wagtail in the middle (attached image) with a thin but clearly visible eye-stripe. Is this "ocularis" or a juv./moulting dukhunensis?
Cheers!
Sumit

Attachments

• wwagtails.jpg
    wwagtails.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 421
Sumit, in my expensive new 'Pipits and Wagtails' (Alstrom and Mild), there is

(1) no subspecies named dukhunensis;
(2) no subspecies illustrated without dark on chest, at least a dark crescent; and
(3) no juvenile of any subspecies illustrated with a black crown/nape.

Therefore, I can only say that the center bird looks like the adult summer ocularis we occasionally see here, except for the unmarked breast.

And now I shall tear this book into very small pieces and bury them in the back garden for mulch...

Hi Sumit,

I'm only guessing here as I don't have any experience of any of the Asian White Wagtail races, but I think the yellow tint on the middle bird's face means it is probably a juvenile.

Michael

Thanks Charles!
1)I don't have the book but ssp. dukhunensis is what both Grimmett, Inskipp, Inskipp and Kazmierczak have for one of the Grey-backed species (other one is baicalensis). Maybe they have been merged since.
2)Often the image lies a little. Most birds have a small spot at least, though I have seen a few without.
3) Juveniles often show black crown/nape, I have a few images.
Cheers!
Sumit

Attachments

• wagtailstep.jpg
    wagtailstep.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 362
Got this from the web:
Taxonomic changes 1998:
"There is no evidence that populations in western Asia ('dukhunensis') are diagnosably distinct from alba. Therefore, 'dukhunensis' is included in alba. "
Cheers!
Sumit

Hi Michael,
On the basis of that evidence I would have to agree with you , even though I am a mere photographer. The quote came from the Dutch birding site and the only choice left is baicalensis which is not supposed to occur in our area.
Cheers!
Sumit

Hi Sumit,

Checked in Svensson, Identification guide to European Passerines; he accepts dukhunensis (and as he is probably Europe's top birder, he is normally listened to!), and states as follows:

ssp. dukhunensis (S E Russia, W & C Siberia, Transcaucasia, N Iran) is perhaps a potential vagrant to Europe; slightly paler above, and whitish tips to GC and MC wider on average. Often wide white outer edges to all but innermost GC, and some males have such extensive white tips and edges to most wing-C that a large unbroken white wing patch is formed. Hardly distinguishable without comparison with museum material, except for males with extensive white in wing.

Michael

Hi,
I must admit that I haven't seen Ocularis for a year now, but I don't remember ever seeing one without an extensive bib. Baicalensis does show a dark crown rather than a grey one, but also has an extensive bib. Alba races hybridise pretty extensively, and some sort of broken or indistinct eye-stripe is a common result. If I were forced to ID this one, I think I'd be reaching for the "hybrid" tag!

Thanks Michael and Charlie,
I had some feedback from another forum, which I quote:
"As this eye-stripe is typical for ocularis in all plumages, I think this is indeed an example of ocularis.
Paul Van Gasse"
I expect some more feedback and will update.
Cheers!
sumit

Hi Folks!
Here is an update:
"I'm afraid I can't completely agree with Paul Van Gasse on this one. It doesn't look quite right for ocularis to me. I have been intimately involved in the identification issues regarding M. a. ocularis vs. M. (a.) lugens and have examined hundreds of photos and specimens as well as studied these birds in life.

All ocularis show the dark eyeline extending all the way back and
connecting to the nape as well as forward to the bill. Your bird has an unusually thin line which does not connect to the nape, nor does it seem to completely connect to the eye from the bill. Furthermore, your bird has a peculiar dark mark on the face under the eye which does not normally occur on ocularis, at least not on adults. I think your bird is an adult, showing adult wing coverts.

Your bird also seems to show a much reduced black bib, although this may be partly illusion.

Incidentally M. a. dukhunensis is generally now regarded as a synonym of M. a. alba.

Unfortunately I cannot confidently place your bird to subspecies, although I suspect it may be an intergrade alba x ocularis or ocularis x baicalensis. It is certainly a very interesting bird.

Very detailed accounts of these subspecies, with excellent plates are found in the new "Pipits and Wagtails" by Alström & Mild.

--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 [email protected]

Just one additional point. White Wagtails show very thin or non-existent dark bibs when they arrive for wintering. I shot 6 birds today of three different ssp. and all show near white breasts.
Regards,
Sumit

Hi,
I would agree with Joseph about the eye-line - which was why I mentioned "broken or indistinct eye-stripe". It doesn't look long or solid enough to me. I would still go with a hybrid of some sort. Incidentally, we have hybrid "lugensxleucopsis" images on our site which show a similar feature - not really relevant to this bird, but perhaps worth a look
http://www.wbkenglish.com/lugens.asp

Here is what Per Alsthom has to say:
"Dear Sumit,
I do believe that both the first photo and the one labelled dukhunensis are first-winter leucopsis, although I would have liked to see the breast + side of neck patterns to be sure.
All the best

Per"

Leucopsis breeds somewhere in China, and winters irregularly to the southern parts of Japan. That's all I know, Michael. Haven't seen one myself here. Ours are mostly lugens ('Black-backed').

Hi Sumit et al,

Kim Hyun-tae has just added a fine series of images of Korean 'White' Wagtails to his site:

http://home.megapass.co.kr/~skua/

For those who do not know this site it has a vast collection of first class images of a wide range of East Asian species. It is not always easy to navigate around the site I find, and some of the pages are large and may take a while to download if you don't have a broadband connection, but the wait is normally well worth it.

Kim would be the first to admit that his English is not great but I think it would be nice if anyone making good use of his site would occasionally drop him a quick line in thanks or offer brief informed comment on some of the queries he has.

Spud

Last edited:
Hi Spud,
Thanks! I am a great fan of Kim's, an outstanding photographer whose work I regularly get to see in another forum. I will check Kim's pages. As far as this wagtail is concerned, I am waiting for it to stop raining to get back and have another look. I am not convinced that we have reached the end of the road on this ID.
Cheers!
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back