• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (1 Viewer)

Woo hoo -for me, counting down the days adds so much to the pleasure of the entire visit! Can imagine how excited you are. The birds are waiting :)

We'll be visiting South Africa in January/February and besides touring the South Coast we plan to stay near Cape Town for a week (already booked a pelagic February 4!). Of course we want to see some of the sights of Cape Town itself, but also do some birding an the area. Would there be a preference in choosing to stay on the west side (Simon's Town/Fishhoek etc) or on the east side (e.g. Gordon's Bay) as far as birding areas are concerned? We'd rather stay in one place for the week. Suggestions for (affordable) accommodation welcome, too, of course :)

Thanks in advance
Peter

Hi Peter, I'm sure you've finalised plans by now but just to add - if you're staying in or near Cape Town I'd recommend a visit to Kommetjie if you have any spare time. There's probably nothing there that you won't see elsewhere but photo opportunities are good.

I'd thoroughly recommend an overnight stay in the West Coast National Park even if you've paid for accommodation around Cape Town. You'll practically have the place to yourself and the birds are very approachable around the chalets. Beware though if you go, low tide is just as important as high tide. It doesn't always go out far enough and many an hour have been waisted waiting for the water level to drop!

As mentioned above, Kirstenbosch is an absolute must along with Harold Porter Botanical Gardens, the penguin colony - I could go on.

Good luck with the pelagic, it was the highlight of my trip in March last year following the disappointment in 2013 when the weather was against us all week. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Attachments

• Indian YNA copy.jpg
    Indian YNA copy.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 16
A bit late here I know. Just want to point out that the Roberts Iphone/Ipad application is very good in my opinion, specially the birding sites information. Unfortunately the version currently available in Apple's App Store has a major defect. In the Kruger NP birding information, the birding information on most of the rest camps is missing due to some error in the program. I contacted the publisher in 2014, before I went to Kruger, and so far there has been no update to the app. Which is a pity as what is there is pretty good in my opinion and was very useful to me at other sites.

Hi Peter, I'm sure you've finalised plans by now but just to add - if you're staying in or near Cape Town I'd recommend a visit to Kommetjie if you have any spare time. There's probably nothing there that you won't see elsewhere but photo opportunities are good.

I'd thoroughly recommend an overnight stay in the West Coast National Park even if you've paid for accommodation around Cape Town. You'll practically have the place to yourself and the birds are very approachable around the chalets. Beware though if you go, low tide is just as important as high tide. It doesn't always go out far enough and many an hour have been waisted waiting for the water level to drop!

As mentioned above, Kirstenbosch is an absolute must along with Harold Porter Botanical Gardens, the penguin colony - I could go on.

Good luck with the pelagic, it was the highlight of my trip in March last year following the disappointment in 2013 when the weather was against us all week. I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Thank you very much for your reply and recommendations, Dave. I had not read it yet, as I already was in South Africa, but did not have internet access. Unfortunately we had to return to the Netherlands because my mother died. Sad, of course, though she has reached the beautiful age of 91.We will fly back to SA next week to do the remainder of the trip. We had not decided yet on the West Coast NP, but now I think we should try and include it. We do hope the weather will allow a pelagic. Great Albatross photo on your post! Thanks again.
Peter

Well after 2 days of my holiday in kruger park my 150 x 500 lens stopped working and I only have a small lens I will have to see what I can do with that so p off

Oh no birdthing, I am so sorry. There is nothing more frustrating or more disappointing. (Had it happen to me - twice) Good luck with the small lens. have you got video? or video on your camera?

Nylsvley Nature Reserve current situation

Thinking of spending a couple of days at Nylsvley later this month. Does anyone know if there is good birding there at present? I heard it was devastated by a fire and then the recent drought.
Jeff

Hi Jeff. Just saw a post on Facebook page "Nylsvlei, Birding Gem of Limpopo" dated 14 Jan that there is lots of water. as far as I know the hides are back in action.

Sorry solarrobor, I don't know Johannesburg at all. I do know that Marievale bird sanctuary (some 70 odd km SE) is very productive and I believe Mocking Cliff Chats have been seen there, but whether that is normal, I cant say. Good luck anyway.

Hello all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post a RFI.

I plan to visit SA in late Dec for 2 wks to mop up a few things I have missed in the past and wondered about best sites for or access to the following locations. I fly to Jo'burg:

Short-toed Rock-Thrush in Gauteng
Mountain Pipit at Matatiele
Cliff swallow/Pale cr Cisticola/Wing-snap Cist/Grass Owl/Easter Clapper Lark at Wakkerstroom
Blue Swallow anywhere?
Black-rumped Buttonquail anywhere but Creighton area esp.
Broad-td Warbler
Short tailed Pipit
Lemon-br Canary at Bonamanzi
Pink thrd Twinspot/Senegal Lapwing/Pel's Fishing Owl/Rosy Longclaw/Bushveld Pipit/Sooty Falcon/Green Malkoha/Red hd Quelea at Mkhuze or Ndumo or anywhere else
Magpie Manakin.

There are more but these are more of a priority.
Any suggestions most gratefully received.

Cheers,

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back