• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taita Falcon stake out at JD Strijdom tunnel: still reliable? (1 Viewer)

rwoudstra

Dear birders,

Does anyone know if the stake out for Taita Falcon near the JD Strijdom tunnel still reliable? It is the site mentioned in SA Birdfinder.
Is it still a good sight, even end of July?
Thanks!

Dear birders,

Does anyone know if the stake out for Taita Falcon near the JD Strijdom tunnel still reliable? It is the site mentioned in SA Birdfinder.
Is it still a good sight, even end of July?
Thanks!

No longer there, not for a while, 5 years at least.

I was told that Peregrines had moved in to the valley and either predated them or simply scared them away.

This is the number for the guy that usesd to watch them

Mike

+27792611559

Last edited:
They are back! We saw a bird there in January last, at least. Apparently there was a pair attending a nest high up on the cliff late in 2018, but we only saw one bird (good scope views) sitting on the cliff in January. Local on site guide Michael, who you'll find at the curio stalls there, mentioned that the breeding was not successful, but that one of the birds was still around most of the time. I don't have any more recent news since January though....

They are back! We saw a bird there in January last, at least. Apparently there was a pair attending a nest high up on the cliff late in 2018, but we only saw one bird (good scope views) sitting on the cliff in January. Local on site guide Michael, who you'll find at the curio stalls there, mentioned that the breeding was not successful, but that one of the birds was still around most of the time. I don't have any more recent news since January though....

Aidan, you jammy ******* ;)

2014 when we were there and we were told they'd gone with no news since that I was aware of.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back