• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What antelopes live in Mt. Cameroon? (1 Viewer)

Arbu

On 12th March 2014 I saw a beautiful antelope on Mt. Cameroon, it was climbing up out of a crater lake in the forest at about 1650m. Gone too quickly for a photo unfortunately. Big and a rich orange-brown colour with pronounced white stripes. At the time I took it to be a Bongo, but I can't find any references to them occurring on Mt. Cameroon. Is there something else it could have been?

On 12th March 2014 I saw a beautiful antelope on Mt. Cameroon, it was climbing up out of a crater lake in the forest at about 1650m. Gone too quickly for a photo unfortunately. Big and a rich orange-brown colour with pronounced white stripes. At the time I took it to be a Bongo, but I can't find any references to them occurring on Mt. Cameroon. Is there something else it could have been?

Perhaps sitatunga

Harnessed Bushbuck?

Possibly. I recall stripes much more like those of a Bongo, but maybe I'm wrong.

I had the Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals with me which doesn't have a map for Bongo, but just says that it is still common in parts of Cameroon, so I didn't think that there was any difficulty with the ID at the time. But now it looks a lot more questionable.

Possibly. I recall stripes much more like those of a Bongo, but maybe I'm wrong.

I had the Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals with me which doesn't have a map for Bongo, but just says that it is still common in parts of Cameroon, so I didn't think that there was any difficulty with the ID at the time. But now it looks a lot more questionable.

Attached = map from the kingdon guide for Bongo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-003719.png
    Screenshot_20200602-003719.png
    165 KB · Views: 9
Without more details it isn't possible to say whether you have seen a Bushbuck or a Bongo. It must be noted that Bongo are quite hard to see in the wild, whereas Bushbuck are much easier.

Without more details it isn't possible to say whether you have seen a Bushbuck or a Bongo. It must be noted that Bongo are quite hard to see in the wild, whereas Bushbuck are much easier.

Indeed. Not much more to add, except that it was first thing in the morning and the animal climbed up out of the lake as we arrived without making a sound before disappearing into the bush. Here's a photo of the lake for the sake of interest.

I would think that Mt. Cameroon is rather underobserved. I met just one other tourist while climbing the mountain. The locals don't seem to visit much, maybe because they are afraid of bush elephants.

Attachments

• Mt. Cameroon Crater Lake.jpg
    Mt. Cameroon Crater Lake.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 7
Bushbuck. Bongo is not reported from Mt Cameroon and generally almost impossible to see in the wild. If you remember size - Bongo is much bigger and heavier than the Bushbuck.

http://www.mtcameroonnationalpark.org/DiscoverThePark.html#Fauna
http://documents.worldbank.org/cura...4/pdf/E23260V30REPLA00Box391426B00PUBLIC0.pdf

Yes, it was big and heavy! But I'll count it as a Bushbuck until such time as someone discovers Bongos on Mount Cameroon. Clearly from the photo on your first link the Bushbuck of Mt. Cameroon are a very rich colour with prominent white stripes, which accords with what I saw.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back