• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x and 8x bins for birding (1 Viewer)

hgalbraith

Hi all, I am currently trying out the new Ultravids from Leica (HD Plus). I am comparing the 7 and 8x42 models and trying to decide which to buy. Both are spectacularly good and certainly up there with the current field-leaders like swaros and zeiss. Here is my dilemma, tho: in 50 years of birding I have used mainly 10s and 8s (I actually prefer 8s now and find it difficult to use 10s - aging eyes?). I am really attracted by the totally spectacular view of the UVP 7s. All you folks who use 7s - do you ever wish that you had a little more power or do the other advantages outweigh this? Have any of you tried 7s but then moved up to 8s to get greater power. Help me out here!

H

Hi I've used several 7x including the Opticron Imagic BGA SE 7x42, Nikon Action EX 7x35, Opticron Imagic TGA 7x50, Helios Ultimate HR 7x50, RSPB HG 7x42 and most recently the Opticron BGA Classic 7x36. I've never felt that I am losing out on anything. I think if you factor in handshake you might see more detail with a 7x. I also use the Viking MD 6.5x32 and that's the same. You also notice an increase in depth of field which is an advantage.

I prefer a 7x due to the steady view, depth of field and more relaxed image. I do find it depends on the ergonomics of each model though. I have a large 12 x 50 porro prism and I can hold that steadier than some 8x42 binoculars.

I use my spotting scope for power, and my 8x30 bino,s for depth of field or for ease of use along with some 8x21,s bino,s too, simple if you don,t want loads of stuff.

A rule of thumb (that's based on a study by Brunnckow, Reeger and Siedentopf 1944, so it's actually a bit more than just a rule of thumb) says that in the magnification range of 6x to 10x you need to multiply the magnification by 0.6 to 0.65 to get the "real" magnification handheld. In their study they got a "real" magnification of 4.95 for an 8x40, and 4.55 for a 7x50. On a tripod the factor is roughly 0.8. So there *is* a difference, albeit a small one.

These results agree pretty much with my own impressions in the field. In the end you've got to decide what you want ...;)

Hermann

I live in Northeast PA on the western edge of the Poconos with its hardwood and coniferous forests and I think that my 7x42s are the best birding binoculars for this kind of terrain. I like the large FOV and generous DOF they have. Their 6mm exit pupil is very forgiving and they all have long eye relief compared to my 8x binoculars. I used 7x42 for years at Hawk Mountain and did not feel shortchanged at all.

I don't notice much difference in the power between 7x and 8x. When I have wished for more power I wanted at least a 10x or more and for that I used Nikons; EII, SE, and 10x32 LX L and then EDG.

Bob

In terms of power (magnification) you are not losing out, by opting for a 7 or an 8, moreso if you also have the use of a telescope.

There are far more benefits as others have explained. Given also that you will probably be using a binocular for 95% of your birding (as I do) then the correct model is absolutely essential to get right. On a daily basis I use an 8 x 32 but my house binos are 7 x 42.

I tried the 7xUVP a couple of weeks ago, as a huge fan of 7x42 I was deeply impressed, you sound like you`re leaning towards the 7 and would like a little reassurance.

When I go from an 8 to a 7 I never notice the drop in image scale, only the drop in image movement.

I doubt there is a significant, or realistic real world difference between 7x and 8x. Some years ago at optics displays and optics workshops at a large local show, there was some eye opening demonstrations that well illustrated that people really can't tell the difference between 7x and 8x. In fact most preferred 7x. Be aware this was with unmarked units of the same make and model, and the key was getting people to look at what they were seeing without having advance knowledge of what magnification they were looking at.

I am of the opinion that the 7x was preferred for a couple of reasons. First is that it is somewhat easier to hold steady. The the increase in the depth of field with 7x over 8x more than offsets minor size differences. Further if using the binocular frequently and over long periods of time I think there is less cumulative eye strain with the smaller magnification. I will edit to add that for some (myself included) the 7x image shows a bit better brightness and conrtast.

The bright side is in your case you really have no opportunity for a bad decision. ;)

Last edited:
As a 7x user I can only reiterate the above comments. The difference between 7x and 8x is barely perceivable in the field, anybody who states otherwise is spending too much time looking through the binoculars and not enough time looking at the subject, so to speak. I've been using SLC's for a few years and prefer them to my previously owned bins; 8x32 Trinnies & EL's and to 8x42 HGL's. The only thing that could tempt me away would be the Zeiss FL's, but even then I'd only be interested in the 7x42's!
Enjoy whatever you buy, binoculars are just a tool to increase enjoyment and to obtain a closer connection with the natural world.

7s and 8s

Many thanks everyone for the many responses. I got to thinking today how many of the best birds that I have seen in the last year would I have missed if I had not been using 8s. Out of thirty species seen in the US, Borneo, Panama that were exciting because the were rare, lifers, or birds that I have been longing to see for a long time, I might have missed one if I had been using 7s. Of course, the other question is how many birds did I miss cos I was using 8s, but I may have got them if I had been using 7s. The answer to this falls into Donald Rumsfeld's category of unknown unknowns! Anyway, I find it hard to believe that 7s would result in me seeing less birds. Also, the view thru the UVP 7x42 is just so spectacular and maybe I would enjoy the birds more using them?

I have still not decided. It is difficult to give both bins a good workout due to the atrocious winter weather here. Still I have three weeks to make the decision. plenty of time.

H

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that 7s would result in me seeing less birds. Also, the view thru the UVP 7x42 is just so spectacular and maybe I would enjoy the birds more using them?

H

My advise is to listen to your own advice and quit over thinking things ;). Another option is to buy both and return the one you don't keep. When you have both, cover the magnification with tape and figure it out.

... All you folks who use 7s - do you ever wish that you had a little more power or do the other advantages outweigh this? Have any of you tried 7s but then moved up to 8s to get greater power. Help me out here!

H
Hello H,

I generally carry a 6.5x32 and a 10x32, using the latter but rarely. However, should I carry only one binocular, I prefer an 8x32. Please note, that my 7x is 7x42, not as portable as a modern 8x32.
However, if I owned only one binocular, I would have to give great consideration to the 7x.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I've never considered the difference in magnification between 7 and 8 (or 8.5x) of much importance. I find the difference in DOF more important for certain types of close-range birding, but even that hasn't influenced my choice. Instead, differences in FOV, eye-relief, and close-focus spec have been more important. In the past, the Leica 7x roofs had a much inferior close focus as compared to the 8x, but I think the current models don't differ so much.

--AP

I have the Leica 8x42 Ultravid HD and Nikon EDG II 7x42. The Nikon 7x42 has a better overall view to my eyes. Colors pop more, sharpness and contrast are better too. The wide view of the Nikon's along with their sharpness, depth of field, and brightness make them hard to beat. I have not looked at the new Leica HD Plus line. FWIW, I find the Leica 8x42 slightly more narrow than ideal. A minor complaint, they are great binocular.

Last week I treated myself to another Nikon 7x35, the Aculon. Really cheap at € 70,- delivered.
The older Action 7x35 is at my parents, to use in their garden, the new one will be my car/scooter bins.

They are so comfortable to use with the big FOV, DOF and lower magnification, I like them a lot. |:D|
Now I dream of one from the big three....

If you found yourself short a thousand quid or so for the 'big three',
an easy upgrade in 7x35 is the Nikon Action Extreme (AE).
Like the Aculon, but with increased performance near the edges of the field.

Last edited:
If you found yourself short a thousand quid or so for the 'big three',
an easy upgrade in 7x35 is the Nikon Action Extreme (AE).
Like the Aculon, but with increased performance near the edges of the field.

I didn't find the edge performance impressive at all. It was sharp in the centre but very blurry towards the edges.

Ah....I keep seeing astro people boast about the improvement.
I thought they must be right. Maybe not?

I need to bring a pair of old Prominars along for a duel with these 7x35 AEs.
Or some Tower Featherweights.

Ah....I keep seeing astro people boast about the improvement.
I thought they must be right. Maybe not?

I need to bring a pair of old Prominars along for a duel with these 7x35 AEs.
Or some Tower Featherweights.

There could well be an improvement but in general I was disappointed with the edge performance

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back