• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Verano HD 8x32 or the Opticron Traver ED 8x32 (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
When the Opticron Traveler ED 8x32 Binoculars first came out, the only thing that stopped me was I could not decide on these or the Opticron Verano HD 8x32 which had been discontinued I believe to be replaced by the Traveler ED 8x32 in Opticron’s top 8x32 lineup. After reading Frank D. review of the Verano just intrigued me more because I once owned the Opticron Countryman HD 8x32. Frank also reviewed the little 8x32 Countryman which I really liked and regret selling. Frank reviewed both the Countryman and Verano giving both high marks, with differing mainly in how he liked the ocular lens more in one than the other due to his facial characteristics. From my reading the countryman HD 8x32 came first, then the Verano HD 8x32 with the Opticron Traveler ED 8x32 last/current. Has any one actually used both the Verano HD 8x32 and the Traveler ED 8x32 ? If so optically which one provided the most relaxing/sharpest view ?

I can't attest to the Verano, but can to the Traveler...... A very nice $400 binocular....very nice. You will be happy with it.

I can't attest to the Verano, but can to the Traveler...... A very nice $400 binocular....very nice. You will be happy with it.

I pulled the trigger on the Opticron Verano HD 8x32 from ProudPapa (Gordon) yesterday instead of the Traveler ED. They hopefully will be delivered by the USPS sometime next week. Unfortunately as of now it’s earmarked as a gift for a family member. Since that family member does not even know this Verano is for them, they will never know if I make a swicharew. Instead maybe I will be forced to keep the Verano’s for myself. Of course I am not a complete scoundrel our gift will still be a nice pair of binoculars but not the Opticron Verano HD 8x32.

Last edited:
I was very impressed by the 8x32 Verano HD when I tried them years ago. Very bright, sharp, wide FOV with a remarkably large sweet spot for the price. It was fully competitive with more expensive options like Conquest HD 8x32 and arguably better than price peers like Viper Hd 8x32. I also felt the view was extremely similar to that of the Countryman HD, the biggest difference to me was the physical shape of each.

I have yet to use the Traveler but it obviously gets high marks for optics from many credible forum members.

Ergonomics and size/weight will be the biggest differences. The Verano is an open double-bridge with fairly thick barrels and relatively chunkier and heavier. The Traveler has a “high bridge” with open barrels which are very slim, and is overall more slender and lightweight. The biggest issue (for me) with the Verano is the huge eyecups — this is always a challenge for me due to my face shape.

Personally, I dislike the ergonomics of binoculars that are TOO small / slender / light. I had the M7 8x30 for years and always found it awkward to hold. I just got a pair of Swaro CL 8x30 (now for sale in the classifieds) which’s brilliant optically but also didn’t agree with me ergonomically — I just don’t like how there’s nothing solid to wrap my hands around, the barrels are too slim for me.

On the flip side, I love the hand feel of more “chunky” 32’s like the Kowa Genesis, Zeiss Conquest Hd, or Meopta Meostar. I find it much more comfortable to hold steady and use for extended outings. Just feels more “right” in my hands, so I am confident I would prefer the Verano’s extra bulk to the slim and slender Traveler as a “daily use” option.

But we are all different, and you may enjoy the more slender light feel of the Traveler (you had and liked a Swaro CL ergonomically right?). If this is more of a travel bin or something you will carry in a pack, the slimmer/lighter Traveler is likely a better fit.

As always, the correct answer is “order both”! :D

I was very impressed by the 8x32 Verano HD when I tried them years ago. Very bright, sharp, wide FOV with a remarkably large sweet spot for the price. It was fully competitive with more expensive options like Conquest HD 8x32 and arguably better than price peers like Viper Hd 8x32. I also felt the view was extremely similar to that of the Countryman HD, the biggest difference to me was the physical shape of each.

I have yet to use the Traveler but it obviously gets high marks for optics from many credible forum members.

Ergonomics and size/weight will be the biggest differences. The Verano is an open double-bridge with fairly thick barrels and relatively chunkier and heavier. The Traveler has a “high bridge” with open barrels which are very slim, and is overall more slender and lightweight. The biggest issue (for me) with the Verano is the huge eyecups — this is always a challenge for me due to my face shape.

Personally, I dislike the ergonomics of binoculars that are TOO small / slender / light. I had the M7 8x30 for years and always found it awkward to hold. I just got a pair of Swaro CL 8x30 (now for sale in the classifieds) which’s brilliant optically but also didn’t agree with me ergonomically — I just don’t like how there’s nothing solid to wrap my hands around, the barrels are too slim for me.

On the flip side, I love the hand feel of more “chunky” 32’s like the Kowa Genesis, Zeiss Conquest Hd, or Meopta Meostar. I find it much more comfortable to hold steady and use for extended outings. Just feels more “right” in my hands, so I am confident I would prefer the Verano’s extra bulk to the slim and slender Traveler as a “daily use” option.

But we are all different, and you may enjoy the more slender light feel of the Traveler (you had and liked a Swaro CL ergonomically right?). If this is more of a travel bin or something you will carry in a pack, the slimmer/lighter Traveler is likely a better fit.

As always, the correct answer is “order both”! :D

Yes, I liked the Swarovski 1st generation 8x30 CL. They fit my face and the slim barrels were no problem. Even though I had no problem with the CL eye relief , I found the Meopta 8x32 B1.1 eye relief fit much better. One of the questions I have with the Opticron Traveler ED 8x32 is Opticron adding the ED glass. I have read the opinions of many who think the Verano was discontinued due to it being to heavy, not because of its performance optically. The Traveler with ED glass, the Verano with HD. Is there really going to be a noticeable difference due to one having the ED glass ? The original MRSP price suggested on the Opticron website for the Verano HD 8x32 was $639. The Traveler ED 8x32 is listed as $495. Is Opticron really just selling the ED Traveler now instead of the HD Verano because they can source the Traveler cheaper which will amount to a higher profit margin. With the Discontinued Verano having had almost a $150 higher MRSP than the Traveler ED, equates to me that the Verano is a higher end, better built binocular. Will a Binocular advertised as having ED glass with a $150 lower MRSP than a binocular advertised as HD glass provide a better view ?

Last edited:
I agree with your inclinations.

The Verano is made in Japan and was more expensive. The Traveler is made in China. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you know.

You’ve also been around this forum long enough to know ED vs HD is marketing nonsense. All that matters is how they perform.

I don’t think it’s arguable that the Verano is a more robust, better built binocular. I would also bet money it is, overall, superior optically. Multiple reviewers here have reported they are sharp almost 90% of the way out, and have very good CA control. The little Travelers are no slouch but I think the primary benefit is (1) they are smaller and lighter and (2) they are cheaper. I don’t think the Verano sold well and the market trend is towards smaller and lighter (and cheaper manufacturing costs) so Opticron’s decision isn’t that surprising and IMO doesn’t pertain to their relative optical merits.

I agree with your inclinations.

The Verano is made in Japan and was more expensive. The Traveler is made in China. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but you know.

You’ve also been around this forum long enough to know ED vs HD is marketing nonsense. All that matters is how they perform.

I don’t think it’s arguable that the Verano is a more robust, better built binocular. I would also bet money it is, overall, superior optically. Multiple reviewers here have reported they are sharp almost 90% of the way out, and have very good CA control. The little Travelers are no slouch but I think the primary benefit is (1) they are smaller and lighter and (2) they are cheaper. I don’t think the Verano sold well and the market trend is towards smaller and lighter (and cheaper manufacturing costs) so Opticron’s decision isn’t that surprising and IMO doesn’t pertain to their relative optical merits.

Eitan ... I did not know that the Travelers were sourced from China, I guess that fact alone could answer the $150 MRSP price difference. I just assumed with the Travelers replacing the Verano they were also made in Japan. Thanks for giving your opinion of your handling of the Verano.

Gwen - any updates? Looking forward to your impressions of the Veranos :)

I have had time to play around with the 8x32 Verano HD. Since I have a more expensive pair of Opticron binoculars on hand, I thought I would give my brief thoughts about the two. First I have posted two pictures, a recent purchase of the Opticron DBA VHD next to the Little Verano HD 8x32. I am showing the ocular lens size comparison between the two, the difference is so small Iam not even going to measure them. I thought showing the ocular lens of the 32mm Verano next to the 42mm DBA VHD binocular, would highlight all the reviews mentioning the larger than average ocular lens size for the 32mm Verano. The other picture shows the difference in overall appearance both in size and aesthetics between the two. First even when both were on sale, the Opticron DBA VHD would cost one twice what the Verano 8x32 HD would. Do I think the Opticron DBA VHD is nicer to handle ...yes, have longer eye relief ...yes, does the DBA VHD look aesthetically more expensive ... definitely. My comments are not met to give more praise to one or the other. Having said all this, even if the little Verano’s physical handling and appearance is no Opticron DBA VHD, it does come Soooo.... close when you compare it’s Optical View. The little Verano HD is very sharp and bright. Is the Opticron DBA VHD twice as good, in my opinion no. Would I buy the Opticron DBA VHD instead of the little Verano yes, because I can. I totally agree with all the positive remarks I have read here about the Little Verano, if I could improve just one thing ... it would be a more solid moving/locking eye cups like the more expensive DBA VHD Opticron.

Attachments

• FCADD676-2BDF-4609-91B7-7AA4AD41D585.jpeg
    FCADD676-2BDF-4609-91B7-7AA4AD41D585.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 27246A57-6D8D-4687-BE9B-B383A75F4582.jpeg
    27246A57-6D8D-4687-BE9B-B383A75F4582.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear another person equally impressed with the optical value those little Veranos provide. I also agree my only real nitpick is the eyecups -- they are too big IMO and should have worked in some taper to accommodate the huge ocular and allow them to fit better in human eye sockets. If I remember correctly, that was one of the things Frank liked more about the Countryman vs the Verano back when he reviewed them both.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back