• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Bottlenosed Whales Greenock (1 Viewer)

tyson

2 Northern Bottlenosed Whales were at Greenock yesterday near Glasgow. Someone on Facebook says there still there today.

https://www.inverclydenow.com/pod-of-whales-spotted-in-clyde-at-greenock/

You seem to get NBW in this area not annually but almost annually. There was 1 hanging around in the same area for weeks/months last year.

I’ve not heard of any live ones seen in this area, later stranding So you’d hope they were having a rest in calmer waters and then they move on.

Chris

2 Northern Bottlenosed Whales were at Greenock yesterday near Glasgow. Someone on Facebook says there still there today.

https://www.inverclydenow.com/pod-of-whales-spotted-in-clyde-at-greenock/

You seem to get NBW in this area not annually but almost annually. There was 1 hanging around in the same area for weeks/months last year.

I’ve not heard of any live ones seen in this area, later stranding So you’d hope they were having a rest in calmer waters and then they move on.

Chris

I suppose they aren't that far from the Arran Trench, so maybe there is some reason for them to be in the general area occasionally?

John

Someone said some stranded at the Faroes very recently as well. Sadly that’s one of the worst places in the world for them to strand.

There was a report around 4years ago of 4 feeding in the Sound of Rassay in February/March a couple of years ago. I was meant to be on a boat trip that same day in the Sound of Rassay, looking for Sperm Whales, but our skipper was too ill to take us out. We were abit disappointed after driving 9hours for the trip.

I’ll google now where the Arran Trench is now

I suppose they aren't that far from the Arran Trench, so maybe there is some reason for them to be in the general area occasionally?

John

Hi John,

Do you know how deep the Arran Trench is?

I can’t find out, Online, where it’s located. Only that a trawler once sunk there?

How's your map skills: this is thought to be the place the trawler went down: N55 35.00 W5 10.00

LOL not sure that helps... it points to Brodick!!

Hi John,

Do you know how deep the Arran Trench is?

I can’t find out, Online, where it’s located. Only that a trawler once sunk there?

I found it to be within the Firth of Clyde and from that, further googling established that between Arran and Bute the depth is as much as 1050 feet (320m). I take that to be the Arran Trench which, as you mention, is where HMS Trenchant dragged the FV Antares down by colliding with its nets.

John

How's your map skills: this is thought to be the place the trawler went down: N55 35.00 W5 10.00

LOL not sure that helps... it points to Brodick!!

Lol

It’s ok to not get the exact spot. Just knowing that it’s east of Arran is good enough 👍

Which basically means that my map skills aren’t that good

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back