• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 birds, Toronto area (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Hi,

Please help to id these birds.

Purple Finch?
American Bittern?
Dovitcher/Godwit?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 20200917-IMG_6403.jpg
    20200917-IMG_6403.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200917-IMG_6312.jpg
    20200917-IMG_6312.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200917-IMG_6318.jpg
    20200917-IMG_6318.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200917-IMG_6242.jpg
    20200917-IMG_6242.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200917-IMG_6246.jpg
    20200917-IMG_6246.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 58
The third bird looks good for a dowitcher. Short-billed would be the more likely candidate in Toronto in September but the photos aren't clear enough to allow a positive ID.

Two Hudsonian Godwits were seen at this location same day. This bird has a pinkish bill and a chest and belly colour is good enough for the Godwit. A dark 'cap' suggests rather a Hudsonian then a Marbled. I think these photos are good enough to make such a conclusion???

Two Hudsonian Godwits were seen at this location same day. This bird has a pinkish bill and a chest and belly colour is good enough for the Godwit. A dark 'cap' suggests rather a Hudsonian then a Marbled. I think these photos are good enough to make such a conclusion???

Hudsonian Godwit was my first thought.

I think the photos are too blurred to be sure that the features that you have mentioned are necessarily a true representation of what the bird looks like in reality.

#2, I'm thinking juvenile Green Heron? Doesn't look big-headed enough for Black-crowned Night Heron?

Edit: cross-posted with Howiewu

Yeah, y'all are right. Green Heron. I should have payed more attention.
As Nutcracker mentioned the head is to small, also the bill is all yellow.
My apogees.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back