• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early Swift departure (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
During a walk yesterday here in Nottingham, it was fairly obvious that there has been a big departure of Swifts from my area.

Low cloud cover meant that they should have been feeding low and would have been easily visible if present but I didn't see a single bird in over an our. They're usually, almost completely gone from here around the second week of August.

plenty in the skies over bournemouth. Probably getting out quick before the government introduce further self isolation measures

bw alan

Quite à few counted over last week at migration points

None at all here in three days now, they've left at least a week earlier than usual.

With regard to Edinburgh and Bournemouth, Nottingham is about as far from the coast as you can be in the UK so not a very valid comparison.

36 this evening around my way. Not as high as I was counting last week, but still quite a lot. I expect they'll still be round here for a few more weeks yet.

A flock of 50 plus this early evening in The Chilterns - the highest count of the year.

These are possibly not, local birds and may be migrating as a flock from elsewhere? I noticed larger than normal groups too, then they all disappeared.

A few years ago, I was sitting outside and noticed a massive flock of Swifts overhead. From nowhere, a Hobby went up after them, I didn't see the result as they were so high and lost to view.

Last edited:
Small numbers - that's all I normally get - over my bit of Loughborough still, three today.
And still seeing the usual small flocks over places like Swithland Reservoir and Rutland Water.

Steve

I've seen a few today, having seen none at all in the previous three days, suggests to me that they're passing through.[/QUOTE

I think there's a combination of local & passage birds depending on location. This morning I've seen about 20 birds but they're flying low around the roof tops near where they breed so suspect most are local. Expect them to disappear in days-perhaps by Monday when the weather turns for a day or so?]

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back