• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenfinch! (1 Viewer)

Cyclops

1 eyed tree hugging nature nut!
I'm a bit housebound at the mo as I've had a dose of stomach flu or summat. Anyway just had a look out the window with my crappy bins and spotted a brown bird on the plum tree,feeding amopng the flowers. Then I spotted a bit of green near the rump. I'm a bit rusty as regards birds song, been a while since I got out there but hearing the song I realised it must be a greenfinch!(Female?). It didnt hang about tho,she'll be busy I expect!

(Do you all still feed your garden birds thru the summer or stop now?)

Yes, it's very important to keep feeding through the summer as the birds need all the energy they can get while raising youngsters. Peanut granules, sunflower hearts and mealworms are best.

Nick

I know there are varying opinions on this. It used to be a case of 'only feed through the winter' .
My feeders need updating too, teyre just net bags with sunflower seeds and mixed seeds in.

nick scarle said:

Yes, it's very important to keep feeding through the summer as the birds need all the energy they can get while raising youngsters. Peanut granules, sunflower hearts and mealworms are best.

Nick
Hi Nick
Just read your response and would like to add that although I feed our wild birds all the above quoted, they seem to attract some bigger birds like the doves and pigeons, starlings more so than the smaller variety. I have tried all sorts to see what is best but am at my wits end to know what attracts what?!!! :stuck:
Goldie2

I'd love a proper RSPB feeder like I used to have at my moms house before she pased away.Unfortunatley I dont have lots of money to spend!

Goldie2 said:
Hi Nick
Just read your response and would like to add that although I feed our wild birds all the above quoted, they seem to attract some bigger birds like the doves and pigeons, starlings more so than the smaller variety. I have tried all sorts to see what is best but am at my wits end to know what attracts what?!!! :stuck:
Goldie2

Sunflower seeds are the best all-rounder in my opinion. Tits, chaffinches, dunnocks, sparrows, finches all like these.

Try caged feeders if you have problems with larger species. Don't forget the larger species totally though. Some raisins (preferably soaked so they can feed their young with them) are good for the starling (UK population declining - red listed) and blackbirds.

Caged:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=13&nav_id=35&prd_id=526

also available cage for Mealworms:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&group_id=13&nav_id=37&prd_id=1193

hil5 said:
Some raisins (preferably soaked so they can feed their young with them) are good for the starling (UK population declining - red listed) and blackbirds.
starlings, red listed?

hil5 said:
Yes if you get them in large numbers (if you have a short cut field/recreation ground nearby) it's difficult to believe but they are. see:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/index.asp

Gardens are one area, thanks to bird lovers, that they are doing okay.

From my personal experience I think food for the youngsters is a problem.
Indeed! :
Starlings are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it illegal to intentionally kill, injure or take a starling, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents.
I'd never have thought that! The buggers are everywhere, tho I must admit you see a lot more in the garden than when out birding.

I've noticed it... spent five hours at a reserve and adjoining footpaths last week, and didn't manage to tick a single starling til I saw two on the grass verge next to the bus stop home!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back