• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any News On An 8x32 Noctivid? (1 Viewer)

I've noticed whispers on here about 32mm Noctivids. Are they actually announced? Does anybody know for sure that the 32s will be the next objective made? Is this all speculation?
-as you were, q

Does anyone with any Leica connections know at this point when or if Noctivid 32s are coming out?
Just curious with new Swaro NL and new SF 32s out now whether Leica will introduce 32mm bins for their flagship NVid.

I wonder if Leica should go in the direction of another route. ... With Swaro and Zeiss 'upping the game' with the NL and the SF32, ...perhaps Leica, or anyone who really wants to remain viable in the future, will shift into the Digital world of optics? Now, being older...I am not going to use it much, but the younger crowd coming up, just might be more inclined to purchase something that needs the digital look as opposed to the Analog. Leica, of all companies is primed to do this as their Camera division is already Alpha, so....since they understand and have the technology with camera's / digital,...it might be the direction they should go towards. Combine their Alpha bins with their Alpha Camera's.... Just a thought....let Swaro and Zeiss keep their Alpha 32's, but Leica capture the digital binocular future?

If more people looked through a Noctivid, more would buy one. Instead of focusing on the second hand reports of off axis coma, they would see what a fantastic optical instrument it is. I find it superior to an EL for several reasons but that’s why people need to try before buying. If an 8x32 Noctivid has adequate eye relief with similar characteristics, it will be competitive. Leica loses sales due to its untransferable warranty. The company would be better off with a 10 year transferable warranty instead of a non transferable lifetime warranty. Is there the market for digibinning able to support a 4 thousand dollar digibino? I don’t think so. A Canon R6 and the RF 800mm f/11 lens combo is cheaper and will provide better photo quality. Think about the minuscule amount of light entering the 42mm objective (or worse... a 32mm objective)versus a camera lens 67mm, 72mm, 77mm objective and what that means for the photo.

Last edited:
You couldn’t give me a Swarovski 8x32 SV EL. And if you did, I‘d sell it and wait for the 8x32 Noctivid to come out. :)

Swarovski has lost its way with lightly built binoculars and gimmicky optical compromises that don‘t work for a lot of us. I’ll take the more natural view that Leica offers over any Swaorvision and whatever it is they’ve done with the NL. No thanks.

I’ve yet to look through a 8x32 SF but look forward to it. The 8 and 10x42’s are quite nice.

The two finest binoculars I’ve ever looked through are the 7x42 Ultravid and 8x42 Noctivid.

I would also prefer a 8x32 Noctivid over a 8x32 Swarovision as long as the Noctivid has a nice big eye box (obviously scaled down from the 8x42) that I’m experiencing with the current Noctivid. Just a great binocular. It is rare that I encounter a viewing scenario in which the coma becomes apparent.

BKDC, post 10,
Did you ever try the Leica Geovid with modified porro prisms (Perger prisms)? So much easier and more comfortabel to use than the Noctivid and exellent optical performance. You do not have to insert a battery if you do not use it as a rangefinder. The handling is also very good.
Gijs van Ginkel

I’ve never considered a rangefinder as an option but now I’m going to take a look! :). Thanks for the suggestion.

No, and I have little hope of an announcement and launch this year. Personally my view is that if Swarovski manage to produce and market a 32mm NL during 2021, then Leica Sports binoculars could lag even further behind in the alpha/prestige ratings and popularity.
Oh, for the Hedonistic days of alphas in 32 / 42 and 56mm formats with a x 7 thrown in. Were the Zeiss FL range the last to offer this?

The SLC range once offered 30, 42, 50, and 56mm models... among them 7x30 as well as 42. Now that was consumer choice! I don't recall the exact order in which all but the 56s were gradually dropped. I didn't own Swaro back then.

Having four 32mm bins at present (8x32 SF, 10x32 SF, 10x32 UVHD+, and 8x32 Conquest HD) I have come to a point where my overall preference in bins is for 32mm objectives, especially the 8x32 SF and 10x32 SF. I do use and enjoy 42s, of course, but most often I reach for 32s during normal daylight.

Being a lover of Leica glass, I would love to see Leica produce an 8x32 Noctivid! I would probably buy one.

Last edited:
I am approaching 60's and recently have been downsizing from 10x50 to 10x42 and now start packing a 10x32 and 8x25 for vacations and trips. Great things were the modern compact binoculars is as good or not far below the performance of full size binoculars.

I am approaching 60's and recently have been downsizing from 10x50 to 10x42 and now start packing a 10x32 and 8x25 for vacations and trips. Great things were the modern compact binoculars is as good or not far below the performance of full size binoculars.
Indeed, the late model 32mm designs really can rival the 42s, much of the time. Great image quality, bright, and they handle so nicely. I tend not to enjoy bins smaller than 32s much, myself. For me, 32 is definitely a sweet spot.

Any news on Noctivid x32 yet ? It's unthinkable that Leica does not have any plan for this format ?
I don't think, the 32 mm. market is dominated by the SF and NL, Leica is already behind Zeiss and Swarovski with the 42 mm. Noctivid.

Binoculars are not the core business for Leica either, they are a sideline.
In addition, Leica advocates a more conservative development of binoculars, so they always lag behind the trend.

A lot of people now want the largest possible field of vision, Zeiss has set a brand with the SF and Swarovski has countered terrific, with Leica still being dominated by handiness and this seldom allows large fields to be achieved.
But if you don't necessarily need a large field, the Leicas are really great in their own way.

Andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back