• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird identification help please (1 Viewer)

Mark13

Hi all

Hello you all you fellow Yorkshire dwellers :)

Sorry to be a bit clueless but I'm still very much a beginner. I'd really appreciate some help with identifying a bird I saw near Digley Reservoir today (attached pic, hopefully). I thought at first a pipit of some kind, it was definitely the right size, but can't seem to find any pipit with that colouring no no doubt I'm wrong.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

• 2017 (11055) 3rd Sep Digley.jpg
    2017 (11055) 3rd Sep Digley.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2017 (11058) 3rd Sep Digley.jpg
    2017 (11058) 3rd Sep Digley.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 78
Hi all

Hello you all you fellow Yorkshire dwellers :)

Sorry to be a bit clueless but I'm still very much a beginner. I'd really appreciate some help with identifying a bird I saw near Digley Reservoir today (attached pic, hopefully). I thought at first a pipit of some kind, it was definitely the right size, but can't seem to find any pipit with that colouring no no doubt I'm wrong.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark

Its a Wheatear, it will be heading off to Africa any day now!

John

The even, pale fringes to the greater & median coverts and secondaries and the overall 'fresh' appearance of its plumage make it a bird hatched this year. Enjoy your birding!

RB

Mark,

If you have an Android phone or an iPhone (who doesn't?) you might like the new Merlin bird I.D. It's free and now includes European birds. It's free, dead easy to use and correctly ID'd your Wheatear...

JF

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back