• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x32 HD for hunting? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have taken the view that on this occasion the emphasis and main point of the post is on the Binocular, I think we are adult enough to realise that people do hunt and as long as the thread stays on the binocular question as opposed to what or where you hunt, Then I think its ok.

Thanks

I gave the above answer earlier, please stick to the question that was asked about Binoculars, I don't think my answer was dodging the issue.

thanks

Hi again mzcloud.
I strongly agree with etudiant and Bob regarding the Leica 8x32's. As long as they have enough eye relief, the ergonomics are to your liking, they are IMHO one of the closest binoculars to a do-all instrument.
As I have stated before in this forum, if I were ever in the position of having to reduce my 80+ binocular collection to one pair it would be my, (albeit older model), Leica 8x32
Regards, John

Sean

When I look at this forum it is not only about birds, but almost every imaginable pursuit related to optics, which includes hunting. In many cases it has nothing to do with birds at all, but seems more about the endless pursuit of the perfect optic.

Being a hunter myself, I am constanly amazed at how truly ignorant people seem to be with regards to hunting, and the vast benefits it provides for wildlife. In the USA it is the hunters thru licensing fees, excise taxes, donations, and the many clubs, that pay for many of the refuges, public land and programs available to "BIRDERS". The world over, it is thru the sport of hunting that wildlife has flourished and is at record levels. Is it the hunters who are contributing to the decline of the Red Knot and many other bird species? Instead of being critical of hunters who contribute more to the well being of birds, as well as all animals, maybe you should direct your anger toward pollution, poor land management and development. And while you are at it, you ought to thank your lucky stars that the hunters of the world are providing you with many oppotunities you would not otherwise have without them.

Ignorance is bliss

Amen! Well said.

It always amuses me when people are arrogant enough to assume that if you disagree with them, your position must be based on ignorance of the subject. I've no wish to discuss the pros and cons of hunting, we all have firmly held positions that aren't going to change. And it's a debate that's been had many, many times on various forums. My original post was prompted by a belief that a birdwatching website is an unsuitable place to discuss equipment for hunting, but I accept the moderator's ruling (with its strict guidelines) on this.

I'd like this to be my final post on this matter...

Sean

My original post was prompted by a belief that a birdwatching website is an unsuitable place to discuss hunting

It says at the top of the page that this is Birdforum,the forum for wild birds and birding not birdwatching but nothing else involving birds, Painting isnt birdwatching, football isnt birdwatching but they are regulary discussed on here. I am well aware of the rules about discussing hunting on here but as even the mods have said here thats not really what was happening so i think they were quite right to allow this thread to continue.

Actually, dogfish, you opined that hunting itself is "regrettable." No one is required to agree with that opinion, or to refrain from expressing their disagreement.

I simply wondered whether you're aware to what extent the conservation of wild birds and their habitat depends on hunting, or whether instead you simply don't care about that conservation. Feel free to enlighten me.

Fair point in your first sentence Fireform. In Britain, we do reasonably well at conserving birds and their habitat, mainly through a vibrant network of charities, notably the RSPB, which has more than a million members. A few shooting interests do a useful job in that they conserve important habitat, others kill hen harriers on grouse moors, so their overall beneficial effect is minimal.
If the only way you can conserve birds in the US is by paying to kill them for fun, then you should think again. It can be done differently.
I think hunters will evolve into birdwatchers, given time. ;)

Sean

A few shooting interests do a useful job in that they conserve important habitat, others kill hen harriers on grouse moors, so their overall beneficial effect is minimal.

Sean

I dont think its fair to jump to the conclusion that the irresponsible actions of a few automatically cancel out an awful lot of benifits that law abiding shooting brings.

Plenty of us are already both it doesnt have to be one or the other though I'm sure some hunters will end up as just birdwatchers,who knows maybe one day I'll be one of them and perhaps the odd birdwatcher might even take up hunting if they gave it a try.

Fair point in your first sentence Fireform. In Britain, we do reasonably well at conserving birds and their habitat, mainly through a vibrant network of charities, notably the RSPB, which has more than a million members. A few shooting interests do a useful job in that they conserve important habitat, others kill hen harriers on grouse moors, so their overall beneficial effect is minimal.
If the only way you can conserve birds in the US is by paying to kill them for fun, then you should think again. It can be done differently.

Sean

Being a hunter myself, I started visiting this forum and others in pursuit of information on binoculars in order to upgrade slightly and get an additional pair ot two. I did this not for the sake of hunting, but because I got into Orienteering and wanted some more binocs to observe ALL the wildlife I came across in my cross country wandering. After reading this forum for several months I put up eight birdfeeders in 3 different stations around my yard, and bought 3 pairs of binocs just to keep near 3 different windows, so they were always at hand, as well as about 6 more pairs .

Your statement "If the only way you can conserve birds in the US is by paying to kill them for fun, then you should think again." speaks volumes of your predujices, besides being very naive and misinformed.

In the state of Delaware where i live, the fishermen alone (forget the hunters)probably contribute/spend at least 10,000 times more money toward the preservation of wildlife and habitat than do the birders. And what do they get for their effort and contributions? The state now closes most of Cape Henlopen Seashore park, as well as other areas for almost 3 months for plover nesting, and has severly limited the traditional harvest of Horseshoe crabs so they can spawn and feed the Red Knots their eggs

When someone inquires on this forum about binoculars for hunting, I just kind of smile and laugh to myself as I know what's coming. In all my years of hunting, I can never recall going birdhunting and seeing anyone with binoculars. I see these shows on TV where these guys have $2000 Swaro's, Leicas and Zeiss to see an elephant, buffalo, or other assorted animals the size of a small horse at 200 yards or less, and wonder what they could possibly see that my 9 year old Legend 8x32's can't. But then again, I can't imagine anyone spending more than $500 for a pair of binocs - period.

Next time a hunter wants to inquire about the best binocs - do yourself a favor and steer them toward anything in the $200 to $500 range and tell them to donate the other $1000 to $1500 to their local wildlife chapter, so the birders will have more options for continued places to view.

Time to lock this one off, thanks for contributing, if you want to discuss Hunting please join and then go to ruffled feathers and start a thread, it will then not interfere with the mainstream forum topics.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back