• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 UVHD Plus Focus Problem (1 Viewer)

suitor

Purchased my first binocular yesterday 10x42 UVHD Plus. I wear glasses. When I use the binocular without glasses on, I can see the object is not yet focused but the focus wheel is already in its final position, is this normal? With glasses on, everything is fine. Eyesight problem or possibly the binocular? Thanks.

Normal. Binoculars are fine. Sounds like your prescription is around at least -4.25? They are supposed to focus for your eyes corrected but also have some additional range uncorrected too which is the focuser going past where they would be with your glasses on. But nearsightedness at some point becomes severe enough to exceed the ability to compensate for your nearsightedness.

My left eye correction is -3.75 and my Leica's get to about the end of their focusing range dialing me in, but they do.

Last edited:
What kind of glasses do you wear?
My eyes are both -13 (extremely nearsighted) so I can't use my bin's without my contactlenses.
There is a limit on the focussing capacity of the bin's.

Steven Schoevaart

You may need a binocular that has a longer focusing distance past infinity. Most binoculars do not go beyond plus or minus 6 diopters and most of those don't reach 6 diopters.

Bob

Last edited:
Purchased my first binocular yesterday 10x42 UVHD Plus. I wear glasses. When I use the binocular without glasses on, I can see the object is not yet focused but the focus wheel is already in its final position, is this normal? With glasses on, everything is fine. Eyesight problem or possibly the binocular? Thanks.

I don't know what you mean by 'final position'. Just wear your glasses and adjust the binocular as per the instruction manual. The glasses will be providing a corrective effect, so if you remove them, then the same settings on the binoculars won't result in the same sharp image without the glasses.

Last edited:

I have an Ultravid and have had no problems setting its diopter and I would like to ask a few questions and make some suggestions.

1. Are you very nearsighted?

2. Were you able to see all objects, close up and far away, clearly with your glasses on when you took it out of the Box?

In other words, was the diopter centered in the neutral zone between +1 and -1 when you looked through it with your glasses on? That is the way it should have been set when you got it.

I assume you followed the instructions in your binocular manual on how to set the diopter when you tried it without your glasses on. (I have written them below.) You will have to do this every time you chose to use the binocular when not wearing your glasses.

There is a combined focusing system in the focus wheel. Care should be taken when setting the diopter. See the comments in the notes after the instruction on how to set the diopter.

To focus; my manual says to unlock the 2 rings on the focus wheel by pulling it up.

Quoting from my manual: "Now, the central focusing ring only affects the focus of the left optical system, the diopter ring only that of the right system."

"Using one of the rings, then focus the respective barrel on the desired subject. Continue with the optimal focus for the second barrel with the other ring. Pressing the diopter ring back down locks the set value."

"Notes: The diopter ring rotates freely, i.e. It can be accidentally rotated by more than 360º with respect to the central focusing ring. Depending on the latter's previous setting, the combined system's focusing range can be limited considerably by this. Therefore, take care to turn the diopter ring only as far as necessary for the eyesight adjustment."

If you did all this correctly and still could not get good focus you probably need a binocular with more focus past infinity.

Bob

I have an Ultravid and have had no problems setting its diopter and I would like to ask a few questions and make some suggestions.

1. Are you very nearsighted?

2. Were you able to see all objects, close up and far away, clearly with your glasses on when you took it out of the Box?

In other words, was the diopter centered in the neutral zone between +1 and -1 when you looked through it with your glasses on? That is the way it should have been set when you got it.

I assume you followed the instructions in your binocular manual on how to set the diopter when you tried it without your glasses on. (I have written them below.) You will have to do this every time you chose to use the binocular when not wearing your glasses.

There is a combined focusing system in the focus wheel. Care should be taken when setting the diopter. See the comments in the notes after the instruction on how to set the diopter.

To focus; my manual says to unlock the 2 rings on the focus wheel by pulling it up.

Quoting from my manual: "Now, the central focusing ring only affects the focus of the left optical system, the diopter ring only that of the right system."

"Using one of the rings, then focus the respective barrel on the desired subject. Continue with the optimal focus for the second barrel with the other ring. Pressing the diopter ring back down locks the set value."

"Notes: The diopter ring rotates freely, i.e. It can be accidentally rotated by more than 360º with respect to the central focusing ring. Depending on the latter's previous setting, the combined system's focusing range can be limited considerably by this. Therefore, take care to turn the diopter ring only as far as necessary for the eyesight adjustment."

If you did all this correctly and still could not get good focus you probably need a binocular with more focus past infinity.

Bob
This is a good point. It is perfectly possibly to rotate the two rings past each other and they will meet again at (apparently) 0. But the focus range will be severely limited and problems will be experienced.

Wear your glasses or contacts unless your correction is mild enough that the built in focus can compensate past infiniti and give you sharp focus. How did such a basic issue get so convuluted?

I am nearsighted (Left -3.50, Right -3.25). Without glasses on, there is still room for the wheel to focus before it turns to final position, this is when looking from maybe 60m away. Everything further than 60m, the image can't be focused since the focus wheel is in its final.

Just wondering are all UVHD Plus model built the same? If I switch to 10x50 or 12x50, will there be more focusing distance for my eyesight?

I use binocular with glasses on most of the time, but felt much more stabilized without glasses and don't like wearing contacts...

Thanks.

I am nearsighted (Left -3.50, Right -3.25). Without glasses on, there is still room for the wheel to focus before it turns to final position, this is when looking from maybe 60m away. Everything further than 60m, the image can't be focused since the focus wheel is in its final.

Just wondering are all UVHD Plus model built the same? If I switch to 10x50 or 12x50, will there be more focusing distance for my eyesight?

I use binocular with glasses on most of the time, but felt much more stabilized without glasses and don't like wearing contacts...

Thanks.

It seems to me that there should be enough focus leeway past infinity for you because the diopter range goes to -4. My Ultravid will even focus past the -4 mark before it stops.

Try the method I use below but focus your left eye in at an object at infinity first. (I don't set the diopter on my Ultravid like the manual describes.) I need about a -1 diopter setting give or take a little.

I keep it simple. I set the diopter on the vertical line at Zero and make sure the two parts of the focus wheel are closed. Then I focus my left eye sharply on an object about 100 feet away keeping my right eye closed. (You will focus your left eye at infinity.)

Then I pull out the top half of the focus wheel and I use it to focus my right eye sharply on the same object. Hopefully there will be enough focus distance left remaining to give you a sharp focus in your right eye. Then push the top half of the focus wheel back into the lock position.

Bob

Last edited:
First photo shows my 10x42 UVHD+ clockwise turned final position of focus & diopter wheel pulled out. Second photo counterclockwise turned final position of focus & diopter wheel pulled out.

Just curious, is your Leica focus & diopter final position similar to mine?

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/709/Mtal4E.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4618/BRHLPd.jpg

Yes, the 1st picture has the same diopter position (-1) as mine has, but your diopter position should be different than mine based on your eyeglass prescription.

I never use the bottom ring on the focus wheel to focus in my left eye and I don't understand why you have the focus and diopter wheel pulled apart in both pictures.

When I first focus my left eye the diopter does not move off the center line because I haven't separated the top focusing ring from the bottom ring. I use the entire focus wheel to get sharp focus for my left eye.

Only after I get a sharp focus for my left eye do I pull the top focusing ring up from the bottom ring. Then I use the top ring to get a sharp focus for my right eye. After that I lock the top and bottom rings together for regular use.

The focus wheel on mine rotates about 3/4th of a turn while going from 8' to Infinity.

Try setting your diopter as I described the way I do mine above and see what happens.

If that doesn't work; in order to determine if your top ring is in the right position to get a proper focus for your right eye I suggest that you read the next to last paragraph in my post #7 to see if it is possible that the top ring has been rotated more than 360º in respect with the Central Focusing ring.

Last edited:
First photo shows my 10x42 UVHD+ clockwise turned final position of focus & diopter wheel pulled out. Second photo counterclockwise turned final position of focus & diopter wheel pulled out.

Just curious, is your Leica focus & diopter final position similar to mine?

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/709/Mtal4E.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4618/BRHLPd.jpg

You are unnecessarily complicating a very simple thing and one of the real benefits of the Leica Ultravid. Your talk and focus on 'final position' (which has nothing to do with adjusting your binocular) is causing your problem, one that is in fact addressed in the user manual. Please read carefully the user manual. It explains this all very well.

Starting with the diopter arrow on the 0 position (the slightly larger line on the scale, equidistant between the extremes of PLUS and MINUS, we begin. When the two halves of the focus knob are separated, a red rubber seal is revealed, and you use the bottom (larger wheel) to adjust the bins for your LEFT eye. Your right eye should be closed or put the objective lens rubber cover over the right objective so you can't see anything with your right eye. Focus on an object in the mid distance, like a street sign about 20 metres away. Then, close your left eye (or put the cover on the left objective) and, using your right eye, and the smaller, top wheel, focus on that exact same object, the same spot on that same object. But be careful NOT to move the bottom wheel at all! Then, lock the two halves of the knob back together again by pressing down. If you do this without eyeglasses, then that diopter setting is yours for use of the bins without specs. If you do it whilst wearing the specs, then again that is specific for your spec wearing viewing. Take a note of both values in your notebook and you are sorted.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back