• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwings NE.London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

A couple of shots from last week, left hand bird almost pale compared to the right hand bird.

Am wondering whether the darker almost solid ear coverts, contrasting pale edges to tertial/secondaries and the heavier breast streaking of the right hand bird, might be attributable to T.i.coburni...indeed what significance in particular the contrasting wing might denote?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1820624.jpeg   Variable Redwing 1..jpg
    P1820624.jpeg Variable Redwing 1..jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 123
  • P1820627.jpeg   Variable Redwing 2..jpg
    P1820627.jpeg Variable Redwing 2..jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 110
The r/b bird is a 1st-w on account of moult limit in the gc's, the outermost are pale tipped =juvenile, (at least 3 inner are adult-type) as are the the lower 2 tertials so, nothing to do with origin. As to race, the images are poor quality but both birds appear to have very pale legs/feet which is a feature of iliacus whereas in coburni they are typically darker reddish-brown/brown in colouration https://two-in-a-bush.blogspot.com/2014/11/redwings-coburni-v-iliacus.html

Grahame

Last edited:
Yes thanks Grahame, I did wonder about the pale tips!, having observed as such previously, on Com.Redstart and Chiff Chaff, although I would have expected this feature on passerines to be mentioned more often in text, either that, or I’m not reading the appropriate tomes.

Cheers :t:

The left hand bird is more 'blown' and over-exposed than the right hand bird (compare eg the tail underside grey tones), so to actively compare other features a bit of a non-starter unfortunately imo.

I'm sure there was some difference in real life, but the right hand bird still within range of iliacus presumably, as well as the leg colour as Grahame mentioned.

I don't think the left bird is more blown out as much as it just has more white. Note the head colouring is just as exposed as the right bird, and so is the darker part of the tail. A bird with more white reflects more light, which makes it appear paler even in the same lighting.

Sorry not sure why I felt the need to debate this...;)

I don't think the left bird is more blown out as much as it just has more white. Note the head colouring is just as exposed as the right bird, and so is the darker part of the tail. A bird with more white reflects more light, which makes it appear paler even in the same lighting.

.....The difference in breast streaking was also quite marked!

Cheers

Because you love it ;)

However, I disagree - the twigs are overexposed, and if you compare the leg of the left hand bird to the leg of the right hand bird it has virtually disappeared into the white background.

I'm very happy with Ken saying the right hand bird was darker - the streaks on the breast I'm sure were sharper and on a paler background for example on the other bird. What I'm saying is that it is a less than ideal photo, and I think it is hard to draw firm conclusions.

Because you love it ;)

However, I disagree - the twigs are overexposed, and if you compare the leg of the left hand bird to the leg of the right hand bird it has virtually disappeared into the white background.

I'm very happy with Ken saying the right hand bird was darker - the streaks on the breast I'm sure were sharper and on a paler background for example on the other bird. What I'm saying is that it is a less than ideal photo, and I think it is hard to draw firm conclusions.

For Dan’s delectation....having trawled through countless Redwing images...yawn ;)...I note that in virtually all the images, the ear coverts are concolourous with nape/mantle and back, save for a few that have pale areas within the EC’s, quite unlike the subject bird which shows much darker EC’s...of course this may be down to light refraction on the “angled” head.....?

Because you love it ;)

I think the left leg on the left bird disappears because it is against the lit surface of the branch...! The light bouncing off the branch could easily do that. Whereas the right bird's legs are against the sky, so no interference. Look at the right bird's leg and tell me that colour would not blend in with the branch...

Of course this has no effect on the ID really so I guess we can stop and agree to disagree :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back