Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds of Bolivia - Rip off?

Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 18:38   #26
Melanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
Often a sure provocation to the digital advocates out there to move the thread in a different direction. Remember: Birds of Bolivia!

Gary H
The problem is that most people outside Bolivia will not have the chance to got this book as most platforms are apparently not able to get copies in stock. And if it is out of print it wll be almost impossible to get a copy otherwise you are willing to pay a very high price for a used copy. I'm also not appeal to ebooks too but it might be a cheaper alternative for a wider distribution.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 19:05   #27
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I'm also not appeal to ebooks too but it might be a cheaper alternative for a wider distribution.
I wasn't lumping your suggestion (which is quite relevant to the thread) with those often used to hijack discourse by dismissing the all things paper.

You made an excellent point & one would hope an ebook version might be on the horizon.

Gary H
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 17:13   #28
pbjosh

Reviewing this thread and Cajanuma's comments, I really have to agree. The first printing is slightly oddly bound (like the jacket was made a hair too large for the text) and the printing quality is perhaps not world class. But after getting past aesthetic niggles like that it's a remarkably excellent field guide. The par quality of the art is very high, the range maps are excellent, the text is spot on. Considering it's a first effort for a country that never had a field guide by a first time field guide author and not leveraging existing artwork, I think it is pretty amazing. In fact I would say it is one of the best field guides in S America.
Old Tuesday 18th December 2018, 19:45   #29
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Buteo Books has copies in stock now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
……………..
Edit: I notice Buteo Books have not even listed the book any more!
I got a notification from Buteo Books that they now have the Bolivia FG in stock again. Price is $ 95.- So not exactly cheap. I had hoped to have them send it to my son in Chicago as he is about to visit us here in Switzerland. But rather than risking losing the race before he visits, I decided to have the book sent directly to me. The cheapest version is around $ 35 for a so called Flat-rate envelope. So including shipping, the book amounts to about $130.- I presume that would be the same for the rest of Europe.
I have no immediate plans for a visit, but it's always good to get some desired books while they are available.

Edit: Looks like the few copies they had are already gone. https://www.buteobooks.com/mm5/merch...uct_Code=14746

Good thing I ordered right away. So if you need/want one, make sure you either backorder a copy or have them notify you as they get more in stock. That's what I had done.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Tuesday 18th December 2018 at 20:30. Reason: updating info

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th December 2018, 20:31   #30
andyadcock

Quote:
I got a notification from Buteo Books that they now have the Bolivia FG in stock again. Price is $ 95.- So not exactly cheap. I had hoped to have them send it to my son in Chicago as he is about to visit us here in Switzerland. But rather than risking losing the race before he visits, I decided to have the book sent directly to me. The cheapest version is around $ 35 for a so called Flat-rate envelope. So including shipping, the book amounts to about $130.- I presume that would be the same for the rest of Europe.
I have no immediate plans for a visit, but it's always good to get some desired books while they are available.

Edit: Looks like the few copies they had are already gone. https://www.buteobooks.com/mm5/merch...uct_Code=14746

Good thing I ordered right away. So if you need/want one, make sure you either backorder a copy or have them notify you as they get more in stock. That's what I had done.
I don't want it badly enough to pay this silly price Robert but thanks for the update.
Old Wednesday 19th December 2018, 14:10   #31
temmie

I have one since May 2017 (am I one of the first in Europe to have seen the book? :-)

The rationale behind the distribution / production in Bolivia is easy to understand, and the complexity exporting any of those finished books is also easy to understand and frustrating at the same time for travelling birders.

I only know that Sebastian Herzog is a really great guy and if he could have done it in a way that would have fit for both the sponsors of the NGO and the travelling birders abroad, he would have done that.

I also guess that companies like Lynx are more willing to bring out there own guide as they now have the basics on every bird on the planet (drawing, info regarding habitat and distribution,...), even though it will be hard to improve the Bolivian guide.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 20th December 2018, 14:42   #32
pbjosh

Associacion Civil Armonia, publisher of the Bolivia guide, posted two days ago on FB saying that the guide is nearly sold out, and that copies remain in Bolivia at a few select locations, as well as in the US. The FB post says that copies in the US can be gotten by emailing [email protected] - just passing this info along. I have the guide and it is thorough, authoritative, and fills a tremendous gap.

Hopefully a second edition/publishing will be forthcoming, though I do not know anything about this.
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 11:07   #33
Markus Lagerqvist

Quote:

I had an order in before they received more copies, so they probably had a back-log to send out to, maybe that's why the ran out so fast again. I just got a message that mine has arrived to pick up
Latest bird lifer: Pacific Hornero (#5,586)
Latest bird family: Donacobius (#215)
Latest mammal lifer: Yellow-tailed Woolly Monkey (#322)
Web page: pbase.com/lagerqvist
Old Friday 21st December 2018, 13:22   #34
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
Associacion Civil Armonia, publisher of the Bolivia guide, posted two days ago on FB saying that the guide is nearly sold out, and that copies remain in Bolivia at a few select locations, as well as in the US. The FB post says that copies in the US can be gotten by emailing [email protected] - just passing this info along. I have the guide and it is thorough, authoritative, and fills a tremendous gap.

Hopefully a second edition/publishing will be forthcoming, though I do not know anything about this.
I contacetd them direct at the time of publication, three times and got no reply.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 13:55   #35
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
………………...
My copy arrived on the 24th, thus 6 days after placing my order. So the $35 are for a very speedy delivery, at least. Buteo Books needs to be commended for extremely fast service plus extremely well wrapped package. Something those cheaper competitors usually can't deliver.

As for the supposed "rip off" price of the book, one has to take into account that (1) the Bolivian publisher Asociación Armonía needs the book to generate funds for conservation work. And (2) Buteo Books states that "Copies are only available when we are able to get copies hand delivered from Bolivia". That is obviously a rather costly or at least not very efficient way to get books. But then, apparently the only viable method for the moment.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 14:11   #36
Melanie

Seems that there is no chance that Birds of Boliva will be available at NHBS in the future, isn't it?
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 14:14   #37
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Seems that there is no chance that Birds of Boliva will be available at NHBS in the future, isn't it?
I presume that will only be the case when/if there will be a second printing.
!

Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 14:24   #38
andyadcock

Quote:
I presume that will only be the case when/if there will be a second printing.
I gave up on it a long time ago.

I won't pay $130 for it just because it's hard to get, poor effort IMO. A real missed opportunity, especially if the proceeds are going to conservation.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 14:27   #39
andyadcock

Quote:
My copy arrived on the 24th, thus 6 days after placing my order. So the $35 are for a very speedy delivery, at least. Buteo Books needs to be commended for extremely fast service plus extremely well wrapped package. Something those cheaper competitors usually can't deliver.

As for the supposed "rip off" price of the book, one has to take into account that (1) the Bolivian publisher Asociación Armonía needs the book to generate funds for conservation work. And (2) Buteo Books states that "Copies are only available when we are able to get copies hand delivered from Bolivia". That is obviously a rather costly or at least not very efficient way to get books. But then, apparently the only viable method for the moment.
Consevation would have been better served by making the book more widely available, not expensive!

I'm sure the original price was not $95 plus postage was it and my 'Rip off' line was aimed at those who wer bumping the price, simply as it was hard to get.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 29th December 2018 at 14:30.
Old Saturday 29th December 2018, 14:35   #40
Melanie

I've recently seen that at least one library in Germany has a copy. Maybe I can lend this book via the Interlibrary Loan.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 16:29   #41
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

US printing planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post

Just found the following on FB by Sebastian Herzog:
We have a revised first edition virtually ready and will start printing in the US early next year.

So things start looking brighter! The post is actually from 29 November.

Sole publisher will still be Asociación Armonía.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Sunday 30th December 2018 at 16:31.

Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 17:07   #42
andyadcock

Quote:
Just found the following on FB by Sebastian Herzog:
We have a revised first edition virtually ready and will start printing in the US early next year.

So things start looking brighter! The post is actually from 29 November.

Sole publisher will still be Asociación Armonía.
Good news but surely it won't retail at $95 plus $35 postage?

Any idea who the distributor will be or will it be ordered directly from the publisher 'a la' Lynx?
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 18:57   #43
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Good news but surely it won't retail at $95 plus $35 postage?

……...
Hopefully not. Those $95 already include shipping the book from Bolivia to the US. Thus, the double-transport penalty will be removed. But the reason for Armonía to retain their publishing activity will most likely still mean somewhat higher costs of the book in order to get the money they need to do work in Bolivia. We'll see how they handle the distribution. Remember that this is not a customary book publishing venture. Armonía got funds from various sources including from the Swiss government and WWF to indirectly further conservation in Bolivia.
!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: