• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orthetrum chrysis? Guangdong, China (1 Viewer)

rrybicki

Innocent bystander
United States
Hi Everybody,

Below is a photo of a dragonfly that I took last week at Lake Luhu, a park in urban Guangzhou, China. I have provisionally identified it as Orthetrum chrysis.

But I am just some dude with a camera and an internet connection. Would someone here who actually knows something about Odonata be kind enough to confirm this ID?

Thanks very much for your time.

Cheers,

Russ

Attachments

• V3-547_DxO-2.jpg
    V3-547_DxO-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Thank you Andy, I appreciate the confirmation. And thanks for the link, which I have bookmarked. Looks like a very good SE Asia resource.

Cheers!

Russ

Hong Kong neighboring Guangzhou has plentiful Orthetrum pruinosum too, which looks very similar to Orthetrum chrysis but its abdomen is a less bright red and it has no red on the face. HKBIH - Species Information Your photo shows no red on the face and looks to be a better match for Orthetrum pruinosum than chrysis. See Dennis Farrell's comment on the differences -http://thaiodonata.blogspot.com/2011/03/orthetrum-chrysis.html

Hong Kong neighboring Guangzhou has plentiful Orthetrum pruinosum too, which looks very similar to Orthetrum chrysis but its abdomen is a less bright red and it has no red on the face. HKBIH - Species Information Your photo shows no red on the face and looks to be a better match for Orthetrum pruinosum than chrysis. See Dennis Farrell's comment on the differences -http://thaiodonata.blogspot.com/2011/03/orthetrum-chrysis.html
Agree completely. Thanks for the identification.

Best regards,

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back