• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Still Tops In My Book... (1 Viewer)

I find it very odd to consider a truly flat-field with edge-to-edge sharpness a gimmick; while it doesn't work for some (me included) due to the rolling ball effect, I can understand why someone who scans primarily by moving their eyeballs within the FoV (as opposed to panning with the entire binocular, as I do) and/or is not affected by RB would be interested in the Swarovision series. Further, Nikon, Leupold, and others use field-flatteners in at least some of their binoculars which I think, much like Swaro with their SLC series, is a great idea to have high-end binoculars with both options available.

Regards,
Justin

Zeiss Dragon.

The introduction of a new Terra line?:smoke:

No, a new line of Conquest 8/10/15 x 56 and a new line of HT 8/10 [and soon] 15x56. Apparently more coming soon and Jensen has said Zeiss will not produce a line below the Terra.

Really, as a bino. enthusiast, shouldn't you welcome these new products and [at least grudgingly] acknowledge that Zeiss is coming out will some really good product of late?

Zeiss hasn't been this active with new product since the introduction of the FL series, way back in 2004. And, the new lines are more diverse, with more choice for the consumer - anywhere from $350 to $3000. What's not to like?

These are some interesting posts on the Leica subforum.

I just see a melee of Zeiss and Swaro. supporters juking it out.

Not sure how that applies. Stay on point.

I do admit it was not much of a Leica post at any time, outnumbered
it seems. ;)

Jerry

it seems. ;)

Jerry

Hi Jerry

In a way this illustrates the point that Leica have been too quiet for too long whereas Swaro and now Zeiss are being active in the market.

So it does actually contribute to the discussion in admittedly a roundabout way.

Lee

No, a new line of Conquest 8/10/15 x 56 and a new line of HT 8/10 [and soon] 15x56. Apparently more coming soon and Jensen has said Zeiss will not produce a line below the Terra.

Really, as a bino. enthusiast, shouldn't you welcome these new products and [at least grudgingly] acknowledge that Zeiss is coming out will some really good product of late?

Zeiss hasn't been this active with new product since the introduction of the FL series, way back in 2004. And, the new lines are more diverse, with more choice for the consumer - anywhere from $350 to $3000. What's not to like?

James,

If I can't make a joke to Lee, without you making a issue out of it, it's says more about you!!

Jan

it seems. ;)

Jerry

Over the last 20 years I have purchased 8 Leica binoculars - a full range of 8x20 through 8x50 Trinovids, which have now been replaced by a full range of Ultravids. Recently I bought a Swarovski 8x25 CL because it fills a niche in my line up (low power, sub-mid size binocular that's lighter and smaller than a 32 mm, but bigger and easier to handle than an 8x20). It's a fine binocular, but there are a few things I have noticed:

- There are two ridges that form when the hinges are opened that are sharper than they need to be.

- A gap is created that can (and has) pinched my fingers when the hinges are closed.

- The bridge edges and tube tops are unarmored.

- The rubber armor in the eyecups is thin, presumably to allow the eyecups to retract close to the binocular body.

If Leica ever comes out with an 8x25 (and as conservative as they are, they may not), I will buy it. Here's why:

- There won't be any sharp ridges or gaps on the bridge. Leica will have foreseen this as a design flaw.

- The binocular will be fully armored. Function will always trump fashion, even though I'm sure it would still be a fine looking binocular. If I don't want a fully armored binocular, a leather version will be available.

- The rubber armor on the eyecup will be oversized for added protection and comfort. The tube will be shortened to compensate for the extra height of the eyecup.

- I won't worry that someday I may need the binoculars serviced because the hinges may become too loose.

- I like the Swarovski focus knob design more than I thought I would, but it doesn't feel as rugged as the focus knobs on my 8x20 and 10x25 Ultravids. Time will tell how it will hold up.

Even if I do buy the Leica I would still keep the Swarovski to use as a backup, and because I hate to sell a binocular unless I absolutely do not use it anymore. Thankfully, the CL doesn't come with the, to me, unnecessary and expensive Swarovision.

If Leica does decide to compete in this size range, I have no doubt it will be best in class, just like their other binoculars. They will take their time and get it right. They won't rush in to gain market share. They won't try to compete in every market segment.They also won't get the buzz that new product brings, and will seem staid and old fashioned to many people. But many people like that.

Last edited:
Re: "Function will always trump fashion," don't forget that Leica has a Colorline, a Silverline, faux ostrich leather, uber expensive leather cases ($129 for the 8x20). Haven't they done brass and gold-plated limited editions at various times. I think they have cornered the "boutique binocular" market of late. Cameras too.

Anyway, good points about the CL-P hinges, etc. The edges are needlessly sharp, but I've never pinched my fingers in them. I think you'd almost have to want to do that to get it to happen. The gap isn't even 3mm deep.

Interestingly, having used the CL-P for a while, every time I go back to the 8x20 Leica I think, "Dang, these hinges are tight." It's all in what you get used to I guess.

Maybe you could re-post this, or a version of it, over on the CL-P thread so it doesn't get lost?

Re: "Function will always trump fashion," don't forget that Leica has a Colorline, a Silverline, faux ostrich leather, uber expensive leather cases ($129 for the 8x20). Haven't they done brass and gold-plated limited editions at various times. I think they have cornered the "boutique binocular" market of late. Cameras too.

Anyway, good points about the CL-P hinges, etc. The edges are needlessly sharp, but I've never pinched my fingers in them. I think you'd almost have to want to do that to get it to happen. The gap isn't even 3mm deep.

Interestingly, having used the CL-P for a while, every time I go back to the 8x20 Leica I think, "Dang, these hinges are tight." It's all in what you get used to I guess.

Maybe you could re-post this, or a version of it, over on the CL-P thread so it doesn't get lost?

Thanks for the suggestion - I had forgotten about the CL-P thread (even though I posted many comments there).

Regarding Leicas "boutique" binoculars, I must confess to having a weakness for the Silverlines myself, and on a hot muggy day I much prefer a leather to a rubber armored binocular. Some of those other models are pretty far out to me, but I'm sure they are selling, because Leica keeps making them. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few people who collect them the way some people used to collect Beanie Babies.

To be honest, I'm amazed at the quantity and level of discussion in this part of birdforum.. they are just binocs! ;)

Joking, I'm not trying to turn all of you onto me!

As Frank D. quotes in his signature:

The thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman

<B>

As Frank D. quotes in his signature:

The thing to note when reading these forums is to make sure and "filter" the reviews through the prism of knowledge that we are a bunch of OCD nutcases who hyperanalyze any minute differences in order to have stuff to talk about here.... Eitanaltman

<B>

Perfectly said.

I sent a friend over here to gather some information on a bin purchase... he nearly lost his mind over the level of minutiae dissected here.

don't forget that Leica has a Colorline, a Silverline, faux ostrich leather, uber expensive leather cases ($129 for the 8x20).

Actually guys Leica has changed the Silverline name to Blackline. Presumably some of those collectors got so excited they expected real silver. Doh! :-O

This line evokes the appearance of the old Leitz Trinovids with their elegance. For some unfathomable reason the optics in these are not the more recent HD specification, although some folks can't see much difference anyway.

Lee

Actually guys Leica has changed the Silverline name to Blackline. Presumably some of those collectors got so excited they expected real silver. Doh! :-O

This line evokes the appearance of the old Leitz Trinovids with their elegance. For some unfathomable reason the optics in these are not the more recent HD specification, although some folks can't see much difference anyway.

Lee

The "Blackline" covers non-HD 8x42 and 10x42 Ultravids which have a Black Leather cover option rather than the standard rubber covers. They may have put the "Silverline" option into this category but I have not heard of it. These 2 options have been around for a long time. The Black Leather goes back to pre-HD Ultravids.

There also used to be a "Red" option for their 8x20 monocular and 8x20 and 10x25 compact binoculars. It sold out very quickly.

Bob

Last edited:
The "Blackline" covers non-HD 8x42 and 10x42 Ultravids which have a Black Leather cover option rather than the standard rubber covers. They may have put the "Silverline" option into this category but I have not heard of it. These 2 options have been around for a long time. The Black Leather goes back to pre-HD Ultravids.

There also used to be a "Red" option for their 8x20 monocular and 8x20 and 10x25 compact binoculars. It sold out very quickly.

Bob

And next week the Ultravid limited edition in English (something for your lovely wife Lee?) Racing Green and in 8 and 10x32 (50 pieces each) and 8 and 10x42 (100 pieces each).
The mono comes in red, black and silver.
Leica, the new Rainbow company;)

Jan

And next week the Ultravid limited edition in English (something for your lovely wife Lee?) Racing Green and in 8 and 10x32 (50 pieces each) and 8 and 10x42 (100 pieces each).
The mono comes in red, black and silver.
Leica, the new Rainbow company;)

Jan

Jan, are you jesting or is Leica really releasing a green 8x32HD?

Pictures, Link?

Thanks.

Jan, are you jesting or is Leica really releasing a green 8x32HD?

Pictures, Link?

Thanks.

Hi Mac,

This is a limited edition item (for collectors mainly) and limited available in the totals I've mentioned.

We've ordered them because we have all the items from Leica, but I haven't seen a sample. If you want one you'll have to reach out for a Leica dealer in the US and reserve one.
Don't ask me if English Racing Green is a decent hunting green color.

Jan

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for explaining that, I hadn't seen the Blackline before, but they sure look slim and cool.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back