• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Night bird, summer time, only at night, Eastern Europe (1 Viewer)

Yes, it's very similiar to fledgling begging call of Long-eared Owl, thanks for that! :). But why when I never heard any adult owls?
Any other suggestions?

They were probably calling in Feb or March...

Also if there is little competition and they are alreadyh a couple may not need to do much territorial stuff.

Ok, thanks You all for answers! :)
Maybe later I'll snoop around at night with night vision monocular, it wound be nice see them "in the flesh".

Rather than disturb the young, might be better to find nearby open habitat and look for the adults out hunting at dusk - that's how I find it easiest to see LEOs.

That young bird might be further away then you might imagine. A couple of years ago we had a Long Eared Owl that each night seemed to park it's young one in a big pine tree in my neighbour's garden before going off to hunt. Was great to see the owl growing up but it was incredibly noisy, no fear of predators apparently. We were quite surprised how loud a juvenile bird could be. Was great to see but we were a little relieved when the 'parking spot' moved further away and we could open the windows at night and still get some sleep!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back