• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

I’m sure Pep or Maties will inform us. I remember seeing a sign at Cuber reservoir about this escape from South America, so perhaps we can be brought up-to-date.
Thanks, as you say Steve, quite a shock! Mike

Last edited:
Hi Ben,
South America Mammal, racoon family, didn't half make me jump Mike, first thought was is it going to bite me!
If the locals think there hens have stopped laying then I think someone should inform them its not the hens fault, I did look through some of the gates but couldn't see anyone to tell.
Steve.

Albufera am Sa Roca hide Very Close views of Little Stint and Yellow Wagtail both showing down to a few meters,also 6 Marbled Duck and 1 Male Garganey amongst the usual wildfowl.
Bishop 1 hide 5 Male And 2 Female Garganey,3 Flamingo,6 Avocet and another Yellow Wagtail showing really well in front of hide.
Amarador Flybye Red Rumped Swallow ,Green Sandpiper and Little Stint on flash just South of small holding where giant black dog hangs out.
Late afternoon from Albufereta viewing platform Osprey,Booted Eagle,Red Rumped Swallow and Alpine Swift again much to the delight of my two friends who had the later two as life ticks,also Greenshank on shore by river mouth.
Again constant movement of Hirundines moving through until we departed at around 1800 hrs,wind must have been gusting Southerly 30 knots at times.

Bob

Hi Ben,
South America Mammal, racoon family, didn't half make me jump Mike, first thought was is it going to bite me!
If the locals think there hens have stopped laying then I think someone should inform them its not the hens fault, I did look through some of the gates but couldn't see anyone to tell.
Steve.

Thanks for that Steve/Mike.

Would'nt want to come face to face with one. :eek!:

Thanks Martin.
I found yet another hedgehog this morning swimming in the pool that we look after.
Just for future reference, how is it best to care for them once on dry land? I have been putting them in a warm place because they seem to “shiver” quite a lot. They have all survived so far except one which plunged straight back in the pool once I had left.
Any advice? Thanks, Mike

Thanks Martin.
I found yet another hedgehog this morning swimming in the pool that we look after.
Just for future reference, how is it best to care for them once on dry land? I have been putting them in a warm place because they seem to “shiver” quite a lot. They have all survived so far except one which plunged straight back in the pool once I had left.
Any advice? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike
Don't know much about hedgehogs but I've certainly seen the species on Mallorca several times (Atelerix algirus vagans) - but never in a pool. My best suggestion would be to place it outside the perimeter of the garden, well away from the pool. That said, I know they are good climbers so the low rocky walls that surround many of the properties are no barrier to their nocturnal activities.
They are known to be good swimmers so the problem is really that they can't get out of swimming pools once thay have fallen in due to the deep, vertical sides.
At this time of year I suspect that somewhere warm would also be best.
Best wishes
Martin

Salbufera today,
Little Ringed Plovers 3, Little Stints 2, Dunlin 6, Garganey Male, Grey Plover, Black Necked Grebe, Black Redstart male, Water Pipits 4, and Osprey.
Steve.

Albuferata this morning,
L. R. Plover 6, Greenshanks 3, Redshank 2, G. W. Egrets 2, Green Sand, Snipe, Fantailed Warblers, Water Pipit, Booted Eagle plus the regulars.
Glossy Ibis at salbufera.
Steve.

Fantastic two days birding at S Albufera.
Monday started off with nice Male Little Bittern at entrance to park on the left hand pond before the main gate.Little Stint showing well again from left of Sa Roca hide and pair of GC Grebe displaying by main bridge over Gran Canal.
Five Flamigo flying over in early morning light just as we turned down to Bishop Hides.Bishop 1 hide produced one Grey Plover,seven Spotted Redshank,close views of Marsh Harrier and bird of the day a Spotted Crake which flew right past the hide in front of us and landed Amongst the reeds to the right giving great views for about ten minutes before flying back into cover on our left.
Other birds of note being Yellow Wagtails and Water Pipits.
Quick visit to Son Real pm gave great views of Five Hawfinch at the pond hide.
Today at S Albufera from Dawn till Dusk we headed straight for Bishop hide hoping to see the Spotted Crake again but no sign,when lifting the small shutter on the left hand side of the hide I flushed a lovely Male Bluethroat which must have been perched right outside,it flew up onto tree and gave all but brief views before flying off,we spent the next few hours trying to locate it but to no avail.
Our first Kingfisher of the trip flew past the hide just before we left .
Male Little Bittern again in same place as we walked back into park after lunch break.
Lovely close views of three Glossy Ibis ,Common Snipe and Greenshank from hide near the Solar Panels and Little Stint again with Yellow Wagtail from Sa Roca just before we called it a day.
Roll on tomorrow for more great birding.

Bob

Some super birds there Bob, glad you are enjoying being here. I know you take great photos so if you have any, we would love to see them, all the best for tomorrow, Mike

A Savi’s Warbler is at Albufera.
Also a White stork is roosting in the Magaluf area.
For those visiting birders who like to go to the lighthouse at Formentor, access will no longer be possible it seems.
I must say it has been absolute chaos whenever I’ve been in the past. I always arrive around dawn and have the place to myself for a while. Then the crowds arrive and it’s impossible.
Access by car is to be restricted from around the hotel Formentor up to the lighthouse, therefore it will still be possible to visit the mirador and tower at Albercutx.
I hope I’ve translated that correctly. I’m not sure which months it will be effective from so if anyone knows, perhaps they could let us know. Thanks, Mike

Yes Mike we have had some real good fortune and luck this time around .
Forgot to mention a couple of birders reported seeing a Woodchat Shrike just outside of Sa Roca hide yesterday.We did have a quick look for it but on luck.
Mosquitoes are really bighting down on the marshes these last few days,we ar all covered in lumps from them,unusual as they never seem to bother me.
As for the Formentor road I drove it once of a September to go see the Falcons but never again,no fun at all.
As usual I will post some shots when I return home to Blighty at the weekend.

Cheers

Bob

Moth

Hello!
I have one question for Martin Honey, which one is this beautiful moth I found at home?
It was bright yellow.
thanks!
cristina.

Attachments

• 20180308_121513.jpg
    20180308_121513.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hello!
I have one question for Martin Honey, which one is this beautiful moth I found at home?
It was bright yellow.
thanks!
cristina.

Hi Cristina
A nice one. It's scientific name is Opisthograptis luteolata (Linnaeus, 1758) which, in English, is called the Brimstone moth (i.e. sulphur, which is also bright yellow). We get it in s'Albufera, but not very frequently.
When and where did you see it as I'd like to add the record to my list.
Hope to visit this Spring, if funds allow.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Birds seen today at la Gola

Hello!
This morning there were 4 Hoopoes at la Gola park and the birds on the list attached. plus BH Gull and one Lapwing this afternoon.
Cheers!

Cristina.

Attachments

• 20180314_113239.jpg
    20180314_113239.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 32
Thank you Martin!!!

It was in Port de Sóller. It has been at home 4 days, last time I saw it two days ago.

We have some beautiful moths quite often in our terrace, but I always forget to ask you.

Early morning wander around S Albufera in the mist,best of the birds were Little Stint still from Sa Roca and three flybye Glossy Ibis.
Two Booted Eagle overhead as we left the hide.
Osprey perched up from Bishop 1 hide but missed it fly off,also four Spotted Redshank and nice Female Marsh Harrier,four Flamingo circled a few times but never came in to land.
My mates wife found a freshly severed head of some kind of mammal just off the path on the way down to the Bishop 2 hide,she took a photo and reckoned it looked as if it had been surgically removed,I could not ID photo of it but it was a fresh kill going by the condition it was in,don’t know what kind of predator is capable of this.
Maybe one for Martin to solve but I will get the file off of her and post the shot on this forum once home.
PM spent up at Lluc,plenty of Vulture up riding the thermals but distant,pair of Booted Eagle circled overhead briefly before moving on.
Wryneck calling from top of tree gave brief views before disappearing.
Best of day was fantastic close views of Firecrest,they were in full song and seemed to be in every other tree,never seen this before,maybe the time of year for them to be claiming their territory?
Early finish tonight as heading out on the Town.
Last full day tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed for more nice birds etc.

Bob

My mates wife found a freshly severed head of some kind of mammal just off the path on the way down to the Bishop 2 hide,she took a photo and reckoned it looked as if it had been surgically removed,I could not ID photo of it but it was a fresh kill going by the condition it was in,don’t know what kind of predator is capable of this.
Maybe one for Martin to solve but I will get the file off of her and post the shot on this forum once home.
Bob

One possibility might be Weasel. It will be interesting to see the photo.
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back