• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

possible Buffbellied americsan Pipet in Malta (1 Viewer)

d.flack

David Flack
I have posted a picture of a bird in the gallery that seems identical to one rported recently in the Rare Birds site in cheshire, any help with the id of this bird would be appreciated. My bird was in Malta two weeks ago

Attachments

• DSC_7192.jpg
    DSC_7192.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 252
What is wrong for a Red-throated Pipit on your bird ?

Edit : slow connection in the Philippines make my message delayed, hence cross-posting with Rotherbird. Let's say simple I agree on Red-throated Pipit suggestion :)

Actually I have done some further research and think that it is not an american Pipit but a Siberian Buff-bellied Pipit Anthus r.japonicus, the asian race of the buff-bellied pipit, comparing pictures online my bird seems to be a perfect fit and this race of Buff bellied Pipit is a migrant through the middle East. Malta therefore fits for rare visits from this race of the buff-bellied Pipit.

Have you any other photos of this bird as the image strongly leads to the identification as a R.T. (primarily due to the dark contrast of the streaks and general markings). Also call is so important when trying to identify any pipit as you're probably aware.
P

Actually I have done some further research and think that it is not an american Pipit but a Siberian Buff-bellied Pipit Anthus r.japonicus, the asian race of the buff-bellied pipit, comparing pictures online my bird seems to be a perfect fit and this race of Buff bellied Pipit is a migrant through the middle East. Malta therefore fits for rare visits from this race of the buff-bellied Pipit.

That's a bold statement when there's only one record I can see from Turkey which is much closer than Malta, to where they are rare vagrants, not regular passage migrants.

'Sandgrouse 31 (2009)
japonicus winters mainly in Japan, Taiwan and south-east China. There are regular winter records from Pakistan and southern Israel (Cramp 1998), and it is winter vagrant to Oman (Balmer & Betton 2006) and UAE (Balmer & Betton 2008'

I'm not sure that BbP ever look so white below but here's a RtP from Cyprus which looks very similar to yours.

http://www.davidtomlinsonphotos.co.uk/birds/pipits_wags/rt_pipit_3.jpg

You seem to have convinced yourself of the ID so submit the record, I look forward to reading the committee decision.

Last edited:
Looks “classic” RTP to me, have seen them in the Canary’s at this time, also Cyprus in early Spring, I strongly suspect that they regularly Winter in small numbers in N.Africa and Med.Islands.

Cheers

HI David, for what it's worth (and not just because A. r . japonicus would be an extreme rarity for Malta), your photo reminds me strongly of the Red-throated Pipits I've seen in the Med. area and beyond. I can perfectly understand from web photos of Siberian Pipit why you're leaning that way but to me the mantle black marks (just about visible on your bird) are too big & bold for that species.

Looks “classic” RTP to me, have seen them in the Canary’s at this time, also Cyprus in early Spring, I strongly suspect that they regularly Winter in small numbers in N.Africa and Med.Islands.

Cheers

Yes, a few do winter throughout the Med. Certainly Cyprus has a few records and the geographical and climatic conditions through the regions of Malta, Turkey and Greece would be fine to accommodate them.

Yes, a few do winter throughout the Med. Certainly Cyprus has a few records and the geographical and climatic conditions through the regions of Malta, Turkey and Greece would be fine to accommodate them.
Nothing new there - mapped as wintering in the Med in justabout every field guide I've got :t:

HI David, for what it's worth (and not just because A. r . japonicus would be an extreme rarity for Malta), your photo reminds me strongly of the Red-throated Pipits I've seen in the Med. area and beyond. I can perfectly understand from web photos of Siberian Pipit why you're leaning that way but to me the mantle black marks (just about visible on your bird) are too big & bold for that species.

Agreed. Japonicus has plain scapulars and the contrasting pattern is spot-on for Red-throated. Still a nice winter record for Malta nonetheless.

Don't you just love it when they ask for help only to ignore the opinion of the majority when it doesn't agree with what they want it to be!? As Andy says; go ahead, submit it - make my day!

RB

OK, thanks, Ill go with the majority on this and relabel it bas a red throated Pipit although I just got a messaege from Briding Malta sying that they thought it was a meadow Pipit which was were I started out.

OK, thanks, Ill go with the majority on this and relabel it bas a red throated Pipit although I just got a messaege from Briding Malta sying that they thought it was a meadow Pipit which was were I started out.

It would be a very bright Meadow Pipit but I've had a similar bird here in Russia.

If I was looking at my local buff-bellied pipit flock in America while the red-throated pipit was around, I'd have called this out as RTPI for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back