• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ex Birders (1 Viewer)

mauricek

Hi folks.The board seems to be quiet at the moment so I thought I would try this for size .Not to be taken too seriously.
There is no such thing as an ex birder.Many long term birders become physically incapacitated thro' age or disability but they still keep birding .They can't stop.As long as there is daylight and a window to look on even a small patch they will keep on looking.They may not see the colours or hear the call/song but they will recognise the"gizz"(spelling?) of many of them and be ableto spy strangers.I must have seen thousands of w/warblersbut,never one as great as the one in my small buillt up patch a couple of weeks ago on migration.Such visitors now takeon the status of the bitterns,harriers water rails and other rarities they used to see.Even if someone went totally blind,they would still retain the memories of what they have seen. :smoke:
On a lighter note, maybe they could have their own little board as Curtain Twitchers and an icon of a wren.

trogladitex3 maurice

Hi Maurice, your "not too serious" post has a touch of ... reality. |=(|
I can remember asking my mother many years ago if she had to lose her sight or her hearing which she would choose. She didn't even stop to think about it and said she would be devastated if she couldn't hear bird song and music.
Happily my parents are both still alive and well at 83 and 78 and my mother is still able to hear her birdsong. My dad (and I!) have failing hearing but since my answer to the question would have been that the loss of my sight (Autumn leaves, Spring leaves, sunrise, sunset, butterflies, frogs, birds, flowers and my loved ones) would be the worst scenario, I consider myself to be quite well blessed! :loveme:

roosmum said:
Hi Maurice, your "not too serious" post has a touch of ... reality. |=(|
I can remember asking my mother many years ago if she had to lose her sight or her hearing which she would choose. She didn't even stop to think about it and said she would be devastated if she couldn't hear bird song and music.
Happily my parents are both still alive and well at 83 and 78 and my mother is still able to hear her birdsong. My dad (and I!) have failing hearing but since my answer to the question would have been that the loss of my sight (Autumn leaves, Spring leaves, sunrise, sunset, butterflies, frogs, birds, flowers and my loved ones) would be the worst scenario, I consider myself to be quite well blessed! :loveme:
Sorry Rose. Bad compilation,I was refering

to the last para,"not too serious"

dyslexic 18 yr old maurice :-O

mauricek said:
Sorry Rose. Bad compilation,I was refering

to the last para,"not too serious"

dyslexic 18 yr old maurice :-O

Nice one Maurice... but since my son (gets it from his father's side of the family ;) ) is dyslexic, I'd be very carefull! :C

:-O :t: :D

Hi Maurice.

I think you make many valid points in your post. I thank God that my hearing and sight are still more than adequate for birding, but I've been out many times with groups containing several people who have had difficulty in one or both senses; but somehow it didn't seem to bother them too much, because the group as a whole helped them out when they struggled a bit. It certainly never stopped them having some wonderful days.

Kind regards.
Baz.

roosmum said:
Nice one Maurice... but since my son (gets it from his father's side of the family ;) ) is dyslexic, I'd be very carefull! :C

:-O :t: :D
I am so sorry Rose and anyone else I may have offended..I'm old enough to know better.Please forgive me.

A very humbled maurice

mauricek said:
I am so sorry Rose and anyone else I may have offended..I'm old enough to know better.Please forgive me.

A very humbled maurice

Oh Maurice, I wasn't offended, it made me laugh. Nothing to forgive! :D

Hi Maurice and all,
My husband is hard of hearing and can't hear the special bird sounds (or any others) we listen for each year like Skylarks,Woodpeckers,ChiffChaffs or the Cuckoo's.
I always try not to say "Oh listen a Cuckoo" but it's instinctive isn't it?
The look on his face as he's trying to hear them is quite sad....he misses out on such a lot. :-C
I suppose as with all things we must be grateful for what each of us does have and try to help those not quite as lucky.
Best wishes,

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi Maurice and all,
My husband is hard of hearing and can't hear the special bird sounds (or any others) we listen for each year like Skylarks,Woodpeckers,ChiffChaffs or the Cuckoo's.
I always try not to say "Oh listen a Cuckoo" but it's instinctive isn't it?
The look on his face as he's trying to hear them is quite sad....he misses out on such a lot. :-C
I suppose as with all things we must be grateful for what each of us does have and try to help those not quite as lucky.
Best wishes,
Hi Ruth :hi:
I know what you mean...when Rose T and I are in her garden and she says "oh listen, long tail tits, can you hear them?" she looks at me almost willing me to be able to! |:(|

Birds and wildlife in general are very theraputic and I well remember going with my missus to visit her now deceased mother in a residential home in Essex. She was 93 and had always loved wildlife and the family had fitted up birdtables and feeders just outside of her window. She would sit there for hours just watching whatever visited.

It certainly helped give her peace of mind in her final years.

That remins me of my dear Grandad who was ailing and in an old folks home but he still always watched and fed the birds.
One Christmas my Mum made him some mince pies especially for him and took them round to him at the home.
The next time she saw him he said to her "those mince pies were a treat the birds really loved them"!!!!!!
Needless to say he got shop bought ones the next year!!!!!!!! ;)

Hi Maurice We often dont value what we have till we lose it, this year I could not hear the crickets calling my wife thought I was joking but it seems I have lost the top range of hearing, diagnosed a damage caused in testing rocket engines years ago. So I will never hear the song of the crickets again, still 95% is OK so mustnt grumble. O by the way I am dyslectic also, and it didnt bither me, I was going to correct that but it does prove a point. Look at my posting they are nearly always edited, and believe me they sometimes do need it badly. Spell check was designed for us, it has one problem I cant always tell if the correction is right or wrong, can be realy funny at time. Yours PeterK

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back