• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'd have lost my bet! (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

First I have to apologise to Ray for 'poaching' his subject but I couldn't very well put all this lot on his Thread. By which you may gather that it's about young birds bathing.

As I said on Ray's thread Starlings seem to be one of the species that really enjoy a bath. The other main one in our garden is Blackbirds and every now and then one (or more) of each want to use the bath at the same time. This doesn't seem to bother the Starlings who tend to bathe communally, and in fact seeing someone else in the bath seems to act as a signal to join in. Blackbirds seem more 'private', in fact I can't recall seeing more than one Blackbird bathing at a time, whatever age.

What all this is leading up to is that one of the Male Blackbirds had gone into the bath to start his ablutions when along came a young Starling to join in the fun (photo 1). Blackie was having none of it and tried to get rid of Junior (photo 2). Now at this point I would have bet on the Blackie, after all we're talking an Adult versus a Juv here. But no, Junior stood his ground and a disgruntled Blackie flew down to the ground below the Bath pedestal, then changed his mind and went back up, just in time to get a faceful of water (photo 3). With that Blackie pushed off and left Junior to enjoy himself (see photos in Part 2).

Bill

Attachments

• DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 1.jpg
    DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 2.jpg
    DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 2.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 3.jpg
    DS starling juv & blackbird m on birdbath 160507 3.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 59
Just photos of the young Starling 'enjoying' it's bath. The inverted commas are because in Photo 5 it doesn't look all that happy to me.

Note that these are in real-time sequence.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS starling juv bathing 160507 1.jpg
    DS starling juv bathing 160507 1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 43
  • DS starling juv bathing 160507 2.jpg
    DS starling juv bathing 160507 2.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DS starling juv bathing 160507 3.jpg
    DS starling juv bathing 160507 3.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DS starling juv bathing 160507 4.jpg
    DS starling juv bathing 160507 4.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DS starling juv bathing 160507 5.jpg
    DS starling juv bathing 160507 5.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 52
Hi Bill,
It does look as though you have lost your bet, good for the young un.
The birds using my bird bath the most these days seem to be Magpies, and they nearly empty it.
George
PS a very good sequence of pics.

Some beautiful shots Bill. I love catching them at bath time, a real fun time for me as well as them! I can't believe the Blackie attempted to come back either as it's always them and the Robins that bathe alone here too, whereas the Starlings just love being together, the Spadgers too, whether it's wet or dry. The Robin will tolerate a Spadge or two in the stream, but not the Blackies - as yet.

Love, Sue.

Well done Bill. What a brilliant set of pics. Right time, right place, and who knows what one can come up with.

All the best.
Baz.

Well done Bill ~ what a lovely set of photos. I love watching them having a bath ~ they go all out and seem to revel in it. The Sparrows too of course ~ every time something comes down for a bath its as if they just have to join in.

Best wishes

Oh Bill!

You do manage to brighten our days don't you with your stunning photography!

May I add that Kramer, our most learned resident Starling, viewed your photographs and praised your post with the following critique:

Sweet, sweet! Sweet, sweet! ~~wolf whistle ... wolf whistle~~ Sweeeeeeeeet!

Kramer and I thank you! ;)

btw ... Since Kramer was a fledgling THE most important thing for him was bath water! He *needed* to bathe before eating! That was what clinched the fact that this little chick we had hand raised was indeed a Starling. We really were not sure what bird species he was before his bathing needs were made clear. :-O Bath time IS still the single most important thing on Kramer's schedule. That and cricket hunting. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Lydia,

Nice to hear from you again and doubly pleased that the great critic Kramer approves of my Starling photos.

I have some more recent ones and will post them early next week.

Bill

Hi folks,

Thanks for your kind words, it's all down to P & L and the fact that I spend more time these days watching what's going on in the garden.

Bill.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your kind words, it's all down to P & L and the fact that I spend more time these days watching what's going on in the garden.

Bill.

I always think the Garden is often the best patch and your pics prove this Bill. That's a wonderful set of pics you taken and a lovely comment too.

Thanks for posting

:t: :t:

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back