• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am i lost (1 Viewer)

Iam getting a 4x zoom 5 megapixel cannon digital camera. This guy here told me now i need scope and digiscoping adaptor? What the heck is this |:S| any info is great!

Peter

Well, if you want to do digiscoping, I suppose it is obvious that you need a scope, right? (likewise, if you do not want to do digiscoping, you don't need a scope). As far as an adapter to help with digiscoping, you can get by without one, but it does make it easier.

Peter, sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.

The problem with taking pictures of wild birds, is that usually they are some distance away. A small 3 or 4x zoom doesn't really do that much to improve matter, especially if that distance is 200 yards !

So, what we do is attach our cameras to spotting scopes which gives us much higher magnification. Sadly, this starts to bump up the cost of the hobby - some can spend a thousand dollars on a scope, 500 dollars on a camera and another couple of hundred for adaptors and other bits and pieces.Others can do it on a shoestring.

Possibly a low cost start option would be your $100 4x zoom 5MP camera, with a universal adaptor, maybe one like the Scopetronix - http://www.scopetronix.com/ezpix2.htm - and a cheap spotting scope like this Barska for $80 - http://tinyurl.com/28q7pu

Hope this helps and hasn't continued to confuse you (not ever my intent :)

Peter, welcome to the world of digascoping,,

I don't think you can screw any type aux lens on the front of your Canon that you will be happy with to photograph birds,, aux lense just don't offer the detail for good photos,,

best bet is to invest in a decent scope to get started,,

can someone bring me to a round about total here?

The most important part is the telescope:
- A decent "ED" spotting scope $400-500? You can get non-ED scopes for much less, but you will see the difference.
- A great digiscoping scope (Nikon Fieldscope 82ED) <$1000.
- The most expensive spotting scope (Swarovski) >$2000 - which doesn't actually improve image quality from the 82ED.
- eyepiece: 20x - 30x with good (=long) eye relief and wide field-of-view.

A good camera: almost any compact camera with 3-4x zoom which does not extend too much from the camera body. $150 - $500. Eg. Fuji F31fd or Nikon P5000.

Adapter: many different designs. $30 - $500. But you don't necessarily need one - or you can make it by yourself (some ingenious designs in "Digiscoping Adapters" subforum).

Tripod + head: very important. $100 - $600.

Round about total: $500 - $4000+ depending on how much money you have ;) ?

Best of luck,

Ilkka :t:

If you went for the two items I listed above Peter, the Scopetronix adaptor would cost US$59, and the Barska scope US$80. Total, US$139 (plus postage).

That would certainly get you started, with that camera, and you should be able to start digiscoping straight away.

And i wouldnt be able to go without one? And my camera = 100 so 239? Peter

Highly unlikely that you would be able to get any good photos without Peter, sorry, unless of course, you are a first class woodsman and can get up close without disturbing the birds !

But yes, unless anyone else has any opinions, this will possibly be your cheapest entry into digiscoping.

Good Luck !

But yes, unless anyone else has any opinions, this will possibly be your cheapest entry into digiscoping.
I'm sure you know, David, would be possible to go cheaper but would require a bit more effort and ingenuity. On this thread Paul Corfield shows where some smart buying plus a bit of handiwork can produce something useable :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81445
Have seen others where folks have cannibalised binoculars, scopes or old mirror lenses on BF. I guess those who don't have the lolly (please translate as : money) to hand are not subject to the temptation of, er, instant gratification :h?: May be a good thing. Learning steadily from the roots up reduces the likelihood of the frustration of suddenly ending up with a piece of kit you don't know how to use properly or really appreciate; something else we see happen on occasion on BF.

All the best

Norm

watch E BAY for some deals,, have ocassionaly seen some decent scopes there for a fair price,,

can also look on Astromart,, might catch a small scope you can tie a camera on or place a want add on Astromart seeking a low cost scope for digascoping,, many of the Astromart viewers would know what your talking about and if they had one would certainly recommend,, most of the astro guys will see decent equipment at a very fair price,,

perseverance will prevail,,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back