• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lonely Suet (1 Viewer)

jward

Hello out there...

Bought some pre-packaged suet, and hung near my feeders on a young tree about 5 feet off the ground. I see Downy WPs in the neighboring trees, but still have seen zero birds on the suet (now been 2-3 weeks). Any ideas for attracting them??? Would I have better luck with the suet hanging from one of the neighboring deadwood trees?

Jarrod

Here's a little trick I use and it seems to work pretty well. I simply don't have the time to make my own suet so I will by the store bought and break it in half, put it in a bowl in the microwave to melt to a semi soft state... then I mix peanut butter with the softened suet and put it back in the plastic case it came in to harden..then put it in the suet cage. Mine hang from various trees at various heights and most all are eaten readily.

jward said:
Hello out there...

Bought some pre-packaged suet, and hung near my feeders on a young tree about 5 feet off the ground. I see Downy WPs in the neighboring trees, but still have seen zero birds on the suet (now been 2-3 weeks). Any ideas for attracting them??? Would I have better luck with the suet hanging from one of the neighboring deadwood trees?

Jarrod

There's a thread about using suet here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24076

Well... it must have been good, cause this AM I noticed that my whole suet feeder was missing!!!

I had shifted it to the right and the 5 cm of chain was a bit looser. I imagine a racoon got ahold of it and when they jiggled it, it fell from the tree. The only thing left is faint square shaped trace of suet smeared on the green grass... I looked for the basket, but it is nowhere to be found. I, of course, have already gone and layed down another 5 bucks for a replacement... I'll keep you updated!

jw

hello all!

Well, I have had one visitor return again and again for my new suet block (peanut mix). Unfortunately, he is gray, and has a long bushy tail...

How does everyone hang their suet? is it up against the tree? or free hanging??

I noticed a white-breasted nuthatch this afternoon in neighboring trees (all dead), but he had no idea/incentive to come to my suet block. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, the block is hanging on a new tree (5 inch diameter). I hesitate to hang on the other trees because they are in front of my neighbors home (I'm in a townhome). Any other ideas?

Jarrod

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back