Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lonely Suet

Old Saturday 16th October 2004, 01:46   #1
jward

Lonely Suet

Hello out there...

Bought some pre-packaged suet, and hung near my feeders on a young tree about 5 feet off the ground. I see Downy WPs in the neighboring trees, but still have seen zero birds on the suet (now been 2-3 weeks). Any ideas for attracting them??? Would I have better luck with the suet hanging from one of the neighboring deadwood trees?

Jarrod
Old Saturday 16th October 2004, 02:16   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Here's a little trick I use and it seems to work pretty well. I simply don't have the time to make my own suet so I will by the store bought and break it in half, put it in a bowl in the microwave to melt to a semi soft state... then I mix peanut butter with the softened suet and put it back in the plastic case it came in to harden..then put it in the suet cage. Mine hang from various trees at various heights and most all are eaten readily.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 16th October 2004, 09:14   #3
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jward
Hello out there...

Bought some pre-packaged suet, and hung near my feeders on a young tree about 5 feet off the ground. I see Downy WPs in the neighboring trees, but still have seen zero birds on the suet (now been 2-3 weeks). Any ideas for attracting them??? Would I have better luck with the suet hanging from one of the neighboring deadwood trees?

Jarrod
There's a thread about using suet here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24076
Old Saturday 16th October 2004, 19:13   #4
jward

Well... it must have been good, cause this AM I noticed that my whole suet feeder was missing!!!

I had shifted it to the right and the 5 cm of chain was a bit looser. I imagine a racoon got ahold of it and when they jiggled it, it fell from the tree. The only thing left is faint square shaped trace of suet smeared on the green grass... I looked for the basket, but it is nowhere to be found. I, of course, have already gone and layed down another 5 bucks for a replacement... I'll keep you updated!

jw
Old Saturday 16th October 2004, 22:30   #5
christineredgate
Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of the Year Comp 2009/2010

Render your suet ,mix in some chopped nuts and sultanas,and make into a fat cake.

Ride Free,Fly Free.
Christine

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th October 2004, 02:41   #6
jward

hello all!

Well, I have had one visitor return again and again for my new suet block (peanut mix). Unfortunately, he is gray, and has a long bushy tail...

How does everyone hang their suet? is it up against the tree? or free hanging??

I noticed a white-breasted nuthatch this afternoon in neighboring trees (all dead), but he had no idea/incentive to come to my suet block. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, the block is hanging on a new tree (5 inch diameter). I hesitate to hang on the other trees because they are in front of my neighbors home (I'm in a townhome). Any other ideas?

Jarrod
Old Monday 18th October 2004, 08:10   #7
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Hello Jarrod - I was delighted on reading your first few words, then.........................!!!!!

At the moment the squirrels here have not noticed my new feeder (though they haven't been around so much recently) - but I'm hoping the cage will keep them away from the suet. There's a photo in the first message of this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24076
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: