Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

WWT Welney

Old Saturday 6th January 2007, 18:20   #1
POCHARD1

Smile WWT Welney

Hi All,

I am planning on a trip at the end of January to look for Bewick Swans on the Ouse Washes. I have an interest in Bewicks and I am keen to look for individuals that maybe carrying rings etc. I just wondered if anyone can help me and give me any advice as to where I can find any flocks, I am hoping to stop in the Littleport area and be able to go to WWT Welney everyday throughout my stay.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

Pochard1
Old Saturday 6th January 2007, 18:22   #2
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2020

Hi Pochard1 and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I can't help you I'm afraid, but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can

D

My Lockdown List report - 2019 Down Under Trip Report

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81 Last Patch tick: Magpie (locally scarce)

To live in hearts we leave behind
Is not to die - Thomas Campbell (17771844)

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th January 2007, 21:14   #3
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POCHARD1
Hi All,

I am planning on a trip at the end of January to look for Bewick Swans on the Ouse Washes. I have an interest in Bewicks and I am keen to look for individuals that maybe carrying rings etc. I just wondered if anyone can help me and give me any advice as to where I can find any flocks, I am hoping to stop in the Littleport area and be able to go to WWT Welney everyday throughout my stay.

Any help would be great.

Many Thanks

Pochard1
The fields around Welney will hold many winter swans,quite a large area to concentrate on.

POP
Old Saturday 6th January 2007, 22:56   #4
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

The nene washes east of peterborough might be worth a look as well,only about 15 odd miles north west of welney.

Other members might be able to confirm wether bewicks are regular at this site,can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be though.

edit,

This might be of interest

http://nenewashworld.blogspot.com/

You'l find a mention on bewicks from the menu on the right.

Matt

Last edited by matt green : Saturday 6th January 2007 at 23:01.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 09:10   #5
ChinaBirds
Nick Sismey

Hi Pochard1,
Just drive out the the back of March towards Welney and you pick up flocks as you go. The biggest I found over the last week with both Whooper and Bewicks was in a field at the rear of the WWT Welney Wildfowl Refuge. The road makes a sharp right after you have passed the new visitors centre on your right and runs right alongside the field. I was no more than 50 meters from the birds

Good luck

Cheers
Nick
Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 11:41   #6
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaBirds
Hi Pochard1,
Just drive out the the back of March towards Welney and you pick up flocks as you go. The biggest I found over the last week with both Whooper and Bewicks was in a field at the rear of the WWT Welney Wildfowl Refuge. The road makes a sharp right after you have passed the new visitors centre on your right and runs right alongside the field. I was no more than 50 meters from the birds

Good luck

Cheers
Nick
I endorse this but it is worth checking that the road between Welney village and the Trust Centre is not flooded and impassable as it was in the middle of Dec when I was there. If it is, there is a substantial drive to get around. However if you are staying in Littleport you will be able to get to WWT Welney easily enough but if many birds are to the west of Welney, then this road is the easiest one to go through Welney village and therefore needs to be checked to see if it open.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th January 2007, 12:29   #7
kanebrides

Wink

Hi,

I am going down to Welney next Wednesday until Saturday; I am actually quite interested in the swans but more interested in Whoopers. Hopefully I will get around to some of the flocks and try and ring read some, I will get back to you with some recent counts etc.

Cheers
Kane
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: