Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lonely Blackbird??

Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 15:35   #1
ahinrichs
Ann Hinrichs

Lonely Blackbird??

I have several male blackbirds in my garden all of which come to stuff their beaks with worms - which I provide - and fly off to (probably) feed their nesting mates.

However, since yesterday I have had one solo male bb which has been in the trees, singing the entire time. It doesn't come down to eat. It just perches on a high branch and sings. Constantly.

I wonder if it had a mate which it has lost and is perhaps advertising for a new mate.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such behaviour? It's really rather poignant.

Cheers - A
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 15:41   #2
Ian Hamiltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahinrichs
I have several male blackbirds in my garden all of which come to stuff their beaks with worms - which I provide - and fly off to (probably) feed their nesting mates.

However, since yesterday I have had one solo male bb which has been in the trees, singing the entire time. It doesn't come down to eat. It just perches on a high branch and sings. Constantly.

I wonder if it had a mate which it has lost and is perhaps advertising for a new mate.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such behaviour? It's really rather poignant.

Cheers - A
its like all male birds,theyll sing all thru the spring regardless of them having
a mate or not,i hear them every morning.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 16:51   #3
Sue Wright

Hi A,

Ian's right of course as they'll sing as much as possible, but I suspect yours comes down to feed at times, possibly early morning either before (surprising how soon they're about), in or after the main Dawn Chorus (beautiful at the moment, by the way) when you're sleeping. It possibly does the same at dusk as they're about the last ones flitting around.

True though that it could have lost it's mate and be singing to entice another asap, though it's difficult to be really sure. Maybe he's just thrilled to have an early spring and revelling in making babies! A difficult one to answer A, but I'll agree it must be a very poignant sight. Keep an eye on him though (which I'm sure you'll do anyway) and see what happens, but I'll bet a bob he feeds ok so try not to worry unduly. What it is to be passionate in our love of Birds, they worry us sick at times. Hopefully all will be well, but please let us know?

Good luck,

Sue.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 17:14   #4
ahinrichs
Ann Hinrichs

Thanks Ian and Sue -

I'm sure he feeds at times but all my other male birds come immediately - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - when I walk out, expecting me to have worms....which I usually do. <G>

I find this particular male's behaviour quite unique. I've never had one which sings pretty much all the time.

I shall keep an eye on him. Or rather an ear cocked.....
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 17:28   #5
Ian Hamiltan

Quote:
Thanks Ian and Sue -

I'm sure he feeds at times but all my other male birds come immediately - and I mean IMMEDIATELY - when I walk out, expecting me to have worms....which I usually do. <G>

I find this particular male's behaviour quite unique. I've never had one which sings pretty much all the time.

I shall keep an eye on him. Or rather an ear cocked.....
hi A
more than likely hes just warning other male blackbirds to keep away,
this is my patch,he will have a mate sitting on a nest somewhere.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 19:12   #6
ahinrichs
Ann Hinrichs

Hi Ian -

I watch with great interest the antics of the male blackbirds, there's one who's the obvious dominant one, the one the others watch out for as they all jockey for position at the various bowls of mealworms I put out. My singing guy doesn't even enter the fray - he perches on high and sings and watches the others down below so I'm not so sure he's guarding a territory as all the others pay him absolutely no mind. That's one of the things I find so curious. He's still out there singing his little heart out even as I type. It's turned into a beautiful evening in my part of Bedfordshire...
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 19:18   #7
Ian Hamiltan

Quote:
Hi Ian -

I watch with great interest the antics of the male blackbirds, there's one who's the obvious dominant one, the one the others watch out for as they all jockey for position at the various bowls of mealworms I put out. My singing guy doesn't even enter the fray - he perches on high and sings and watches the others down below so I'm not so sure he's guarding a territory as all the others pay him absolutely no mind. That's one of the things I find so curious. He's still out there singing his little heart out even as I type. It's turned into a beautiful evening in my part of Bedfordshire...
maybe hes telling the ones below to keep away
Old Sunday 22nd April 2007, 20:26   #8
ahinrichs
Ann Hinrichs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hamiltan
maybe hes telling the ones below to keep away

I don't think so - the others pay him absolutely no mind, just sqabble among themselves, each taking its turn grabbing worms. They are hilarious. But, of course, it's deadly serious to them....

Cheers - A
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: