• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone used Slik SH-707E Head? (1 Viewer)

chordstrummer

Last edited:
I've not used that model, but I've used several of these sort of heads in past designs, some of them made by Slik. In my experience they are simple to operate and reliable, and they all work quite well within the limitations of the design. What some users will not like is that they do not provide much or any fluidity--more like locked vs unlocked using the single handle. With respect to this model, of most concern to me is the QR plate. I don't like QR plates that lack an anti-rotation pin or flange, especially those with the rubber/cork interface. I'd check to see if this could be adapted to accept a different plate (or if an anti-rotation plate is available for it from Slik). My current lightweight head, which is about the same weight but much more expensive, is the Gitzo GH1720QR with a Desmond adapter to allow use with Arca-Swiss type plates from Really Right Stuff and Kirk.

--AP

Last edited:
Many thanks for the informative post AP I have decided to go for a fluid head and you've helped sway the decision. For an extra 30-40 grammes or so I thought the Manfrotto 700 RC2 a good head with the fluidity and the anti-rotation pin so that's what I'll be going with. Another factor being it's not much more expensive than the cheap Slik head I was considering. A number of other members recommended me the Manfrotto and it's tried and tested.
Cheers.

Chordtstrummer
I have one, it allows you to tilt and pan using the handle as the sole control. It's built in metal, the level of finish is very good in my opinion. The tripod mount thread is 1/4", the suggested head load should not exceed 2 kgs. The locking system of the plate is good.
A fine product, but of course you may go for better and more expensive products.

Hi Saxatilis,
Thanks for the info. If I don't get on with the Manfrotto head I'm getting then I may well try the Slik. It looks and sounds like it's good value for money. I have been using a simple Velbon PH-157 for some years and I may find I prefer all control to be within the pan handle including locking of the head by simply twisting the handle. I'll see how I get along with the Manfrotto.

...For an extra 30-40 grammes or so I thought the Manfrotto 700 RC2 a good head with the fluidity and the anti-rotation pin so that's what I'll be going with...

The 700RC2 is a good head--especially for smaller scopes and well-balanced larger ones. It's the one I used prior to the Gitzo. I have found that some early or individual units are on the stiff side, even at their lightest fluid setting, so be aware of that individual unit to unit variation, and make sure to get one that works to your taste.

--AP

The 700RC2 is a good head--especially for smaller scopes and well-balanced larger ones. It's the one I used prior to the Gitzo. I have found that some early or individual units are on the stiff side, even at their lightest fluid setting, so be aware of that individual unit to unit variation, and make sure to get one that works to your taste.

--AP

I have one now and I'm quickly getting used to it. My initial impression was the fluid panning seemed stiff but I've come to find having it relatively stiff stops the head being easily knocked and prevents it moving around too much when carrying it. The more I use it the more I get used to the relatively stiff setting.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back