• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting your Leica's overseas and back safely . . . (1 Viewer)

dwever

In April I'll be traveling to Rwanda with Lecia Ultravid HD Plus 10x50, and the same series 8x42, as well as a regular Ultravid 8x20. I'll buy a new Pelican Case foam insert so I can customize it for multiple bins.

1. If you can, carry the binoculars on board with you. Use a thick extra protective sleeve around your thin why-didn't-they-build-it-better factory supplied Leica case (picture 3). If you need to, use a Pelican Case similar to the one pictured as one of your carry on bags particularly if you're packing multiple pairs of binoculars. The Pelican 1450 pictured is well under the carry-on maximum size restrictions, only cost ca. $100; and if you need more room there are other carry-on compliant Pelicans with wheels and space for laptops, other articles, and a couple of 8x42 - 10x50 bins (such as a Pelican 1510 LFC for around $250). As the comments below attest, the best option is to have your bins with you in the cabin. Also, when at home, the 1450 in the single binocular configuration pictured makes a perfect residence for my bins in the trunk of my car - I'm never thinking about getting them from the house to the car.

Based on the comments below, doesn't seem like many people have to airline check their bins. If you do need to airline check your binoculars as I do:

2. The Pelican Case pictured is a model 1450. Use locks - that are TSA approved, TSA has a tool to open them as do other airport security internationally, but should keep curious baggage workers out. If they are stolen, the baggage insurer (such as Delta) is not going to come back on you that you didn't take reasonable caution as long as those lock were on. They particularly want to point that out when you are traveling where non-Delta employees are handling your luggage (this is true for most air lines I guess). Over the years we have had some nightmare failures to take responsibility by airlines overseas, particularly when traveling on the Continent of Africa. When more than one airline is involved they tend to point at each other rather than fix the issue even when who the responsible party is clear. Try to stay with one airline, or at least partner airlines such as Delta and KLM.

3. Purchase baggage insurance! For example Delta generally charges you 1% of declared excess value on international flights. So I'll pay $50 for $5,000 in coverage for a Pelican Case packing the two alpha bins.

4. Take pictures of how protected the packing was. If there is damage, leave no doubt that it was not because you didn't have them protected adequately. Have your serial numbers on your smart phone. Have the details of how much pressure your case can take. Get the "Protector Series" of Pelican Cases. They can withstand hundreds of pounds.

5. Buy a thicker protective case fitted outer sleeve for your Leica binocular supplied case (Picture 3). You will be thankful for that when the stewardess tells you to place them under the seat in front of you or the over-head bin, and there's some peace of mind. Not much extra bulk and way WAY more protection when you're not using the comparatively huge pelican. The green aftermarket case pictured perfectly fits in height and circumference the Leica 8x42 case and is sold at Best Buy.

6. Once you arrive in country, plan on having you pair in your back pack at all times with your laptop. Unless you are in a five-star hotel you KNOW has virtually no risk and will take responsibility if something does come up missing, just keep it with you, nice reason for Leica's compactness. In some countries leaving it locked in your trunk means virtually nothing. I was in Kigali last year and my buddy had all of his professional video, still, computer, and iPad smashed and grabbed in an armed physically guarded parking lot in an instant. The incident was recorded by the high-end restaurant's security video, but that video later came up "missing" during the police investigation after which the restaurant lost all interest in any accountability for the theft.

7. Fine dust. Some areas of the world, like many parts of Africa, have a super-fine red dust that gets in to everything. The dust's penetration is absolutely remarkable into regular luggage. Whilst your alpha bins are water-proof, it is much better to wipe a coating of that dust off the exterior of your Pelican Case rather than off the exterior of your $2,400 binoculars. If I'm not carrying the Pelican Case somewhere, I'll put the binoculars in a zip-lock freezer bag. And you still going to end up hosing them off at some point.

In the UK at Heathrow I left a MacBook Pro in an airline seat back. I called back to the airline from Nairobi, they went on the plane, stored it at the airport, and had it waiting for me when I came back through on the return leg. So it's not always a sad ending.

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I've kept my binoculars in my carry on when I travel. I've spent too many years working construction at airports. Also check the benefits of your credit card some have insurance for travel built in.

I've kept my binoculars in my carry on when I travel. I've spent too many years working construction at airports. Also check the benefits of your credit card some have insurance for travel built in.

^^^^^^^
This.

Too many things CAN and DO happen with airline travel. I always take two pairs of binoculars when I go and at the very least the primary pair is in my backpack I take on the plane and usually both pairs.

But if I WERE going to check them, you are doing it right!

I never carry my Camera, Binocular or Laptop in the check in bags. They are always with me in the carry on. I even keep a small bag inside the check-in to carry these items in case I am forced to check in the carry on at the gate on a crowded flight. On international flights I have had baggage delayed and delivered a few days later when connecting to two or more flights. BTW, that case sure looks impressive.

^^^^^^^
This.

Too many things CAN and DO happen with airline travel. I always take two pairs of binoculars when I go and at the very least the primary pair is in my backpack I take on the plane and usually both pairs.

But if I WERE going to check them, you are doing it right!

Correct. The horror stories are plenty.

So far so good for me. My part-time gig in law enforcement is secondary, primarilly I'm with a company that operates in 115 countries and I fly an average of at least once a month either regionally or internationally. I have been to Africa for example approaching fifty times. I go to other regions of the world less frequently but regularly.

Remarkably I have never permanently lost anything at the hands of the airlines. My earlier comment regarding airline refusal to take responsibility has surrounded being stranded somewhere at their hands, and their refusal to pay for our accommodations whilst things are sorted out in situations where in the States you would clearly be accommodated by the airline.

I have had things spectacularly lost by the airlines, but that occurrence has become increasingly rare. Each time things have been lost though they have each and every time eventually caught up with me, although twice on the last day in country. The movement of luggage on the African Continent by airlines has vastly improved over the years. At the Nairobi airport, a major African hub, they were pulling luggage trailers from the plane to the terminal with agricultural tractors as recently as around ten years ago.

The vast majority of my travel is without incident. It would be difficult to venture a guess at the amount I have spent on additional insurances of different kinds without yet to make a single claim.

The biggest rule of thumb internationally is if at all possible book your entire itinerary on one airline; or second best, if there is another airline, it is a partner airline. If your whole itinerary is Delta, and moving flight schedules get you stranded, you're far more likely to be taken care of by that airline than if another carrier is part of your movement (you avoid them pointing at each other or reading you a policy statement regarding their lack of control of what other airlines do whether that was part of the cause or not). We were stranded a few years ago due to volcanic ash in the jet stream over primarily Europe, and Delta took care of us even though they didn't have to.

Last edited:
It used to be that a binocular, a camera, a book and an overcoat were additional to the luggage weight allowance and could be carried onto the aircraft. Sometimes the coat was placed in the forward wardrobe, usually not.

I have carried a Celestron 20x80 in its case, and my camera, book (not War and Peace) and overcoat.
Also as cabin luggage a Celestron 5 in a proper case. The tripod went as another's luggage item.
Usually the binocular was 10x50 or initially the Micro 7x23 Nipole.
The cockpit windows were fine for viewing through at 10x, but this isn't allowed any more.
Passenger windows were usually not much good.

Excellent topic. I travel very frequently as well, sometimes to places that are less developed and do not have the best reputation regarding security or the rule of law. Last year, while in South America, we had an IPad stolen from a bag right out of our tour van on arrival at the airport by a skycap who had been specifically arranged by the tour company itself. Of course they denied it, but there was no doubt as the bag was closed when it was in the van, and yet somehow open when we arrived later, and no one else had touched it. But, all in all, we were lucky. We did have insurance and it covered about 70% of the loss, but we lost many photos and other data on the IPad. Lesson, have insurance, and back up your data.

As to binoculars, photo gear, etcetera. I generally carry 2 bins. A Leica Ultravid 8X20, for its compactness, and quality, and a Canon 12X36IS III, for its amazing combination of magnification, stabilization and low weight.

My first rule. NEVER EVER check valuable equipment on an airline. (I worked for an airline for 23 years). And a Pelican case screams high value. If you absolutely have to check something make it look old and worthless.

My second rule. Always maximize your ability to carry things on securely. airlines these days often have weight restrictions for carryon items. Sometimes it is as little as 5 kilos in some areas of the world.

I wear clothing that can be very useful for this problem. I wear cargo pants, and Safari type jackets with large pockets. Nothing that you put in your pocket goes against any weight restriction. This has always worked very well for me. This is also useful when you go out in the field.

I also use a secure backpack from Pacsafe. It looks like a normal back pack, but it has a number of security features that can prevent theft, like metal mesh, and special locking mechanisms and RFD shielded pockets.

Also, if you are in a less secure area, don't flash your stuff. Keep your bins under a jacket.

My third rule is : Only take what you really need, not everything you might use. For those that have to have their very large bins with them, it can make you a target. That is part of the risk. What I take is generally small enough to be well hidden until I need it. Yet, it is still quite capable equipment. Not too heavy or large. I also apply this rule to anything I take. Financially, on a day trip or tour I will have with me just a little cash and one credit card and wear just an old Casio plastic watch. Nothing to attract attention. That's it. Everything else will hopefully be safe in the hotel safe or on the ship, if it is a cruise. I have had several experiences with pick pockets.

Maintain a good situational awareness and try to avoid problems.

I also would say to also stick with a group and a respected guide, but even that did not keep us from getting robbed. But it is generally safer.

Also take photos of all of your gear including serial numbers and store on them on the cloud or on a secure server.

If you do experience a theft, always try to file a police report with the local police and keep a copy. You may never see your stuff again, but you will need it for your insurance.

At some point the fear of theft or worse, can ruin certain endeavors. But I just do the best I can and still try to enjoy the world. I think its kind of like the old saying, that you don't have to be running faster than the bear that is chasing you, just faster than the other guy who is also running.

Ah, if its a pair per person and there's no space in carry-on baggage, then isn't the safest option is to simply 'wear' them, strap over shoulder, jacket on top?

I don't think that's a good option for me most of the time. If you're going to a major hub in Africa where you can fly straight in from Atlanta (to Johannesburg 16 hours nonstop) or with one connection in Amsterdam or Heathrow, your itinerary will be anywhere from 17 to 25 hours depending on your layover time and does not include any US regional flights you took to get to Atlanta.

But if you are going on from where you entered the African Continent to another location, which you generally are, it is not uncommon for your total itinerary to be 32 hours and more (Daytona Beach, FL to Atlanta to Amsterdam to Nairobi, to Mombassa for example). Also, if they are on your person, you're looking at multiple security checks where they are out of your possession albeit briefly. There is something to be said for not dragging them around in multiple airports, to your meals, etc, and just reaching down and grabbing your Pelican Case when you finally arrive at your destination a day and a half and nine time zones later.

I completely respect the experience and resulting counsel of Kellmark in post #10 above, a lot of good advice there. Having said that, our company operates in 23 African countries, and while there certainly are areas where you need high situational awareness, generally following some basic common sense guidelines I'm able to be pretty laid back once in country. A couple of things that help are staying in at least 3.5 star hotels preferably 4 for both security and food trust, and moving in groups when possible. With the proper insurance we have often trusted our Pelican cases to the airlines from point of origin to arrival, and it hasn't bit us. Yet. And I've been doing this for years.

Last edited:
Statistically, by far, the most dangerous part of ANY trip to Africa is the drive to the Atlanta airport. :t: Once that's in the bag, you're home free. Peace.

If your company has offices in Africa, can't you have them sent beforehand by courier there and pick them up when you get there?

One good option for travel are Scottevest jackets, you can pack a lot in them, and they're less obvious thief magnets than a Pelican case. They have a trench coat that you can actually live off in lieu of a carry-on.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back