• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new swaro balance rail (1 Viewer)

Dale Forbes

Swarovski Optik, Austria
Austria
a while ago I got to see and play with a new prototype balance rail that swaro was developing for digiscopers. I have just found a picture of it on a swaro micro site (for the new magnesium telescopes).

I am not sure if they had intended to show it because I have not seen any official announcement from swaro about it (besides this site) and it does not seem to be on their website anywhere else. funny.

but I was rather impressed by it. some things that stood out to me included:
  • it supports the telescope in two positions, making for a more stable mounting (especially noticeable when the dSLR mirror flaps),
  • works for both the ATS/STS and ATM/STM telescope ranges,
  • has a quick-release locking lever for rapid position adjustment (and removal). when locked, it will not come loose
  • telescope cannot rotate on rail (a problem with my old rail)
  • the rail support can be slid off the rail and used independently as a support base on a table, tree, bench, etc.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just searched for it and found it for sale online already. I must have been sleeping when they released it.

a while ago I got to see and play with a new prototype balance rail that swaro was developing for digiscopers. I have just found a picture of it on a swaro micro site (for the new magnesium telescopes).

I am not sure if they had intended to show it because I have not seen any official announcement from swaro about it (besides this site) and it does not seem to be on their website anywhere else. funny.

but I was rather impressed by it. some things that stood out to me included:
  • it supports the telescope in two positions, making for a more stable mounting (especially noticeable when the dSLR mirror flaps),
  • works for both the ATS/STS and ATM/STM telescope ranges,
  • has a quick-release locking lever for rapid position adjustment (and removal). when locked, it will not come loose
  • telescope cannot rotate on rail (a problem with my old rail)
  • the rail support can be slid off the rail and used independently as a support base on a table, tree, bench, etc.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just searched for it and found it for sale online already. I must have been sleeping when they released it.

Sounds good but will it fit the older scopes eg AT80HD?

Sounds good but will it fit the older scopes eg AT80HD?

I don't think so - which is rather unfortunate. The shape of the under-the-eyepiece-part-of-the-scope-main-body (I am sure there is a nice, fancy word for that) is different. Having said that, something has just occured to me: The balance rail supports the tripod in two places, in the front with a slot for the scope foot (and a screw) and at the back with a little removable block that supports the rounded under-the-eyepiece-part-of-the-scope-main-body it might be possible to hand-craft a little block that replaces the rounded one and which supports the squared base of the AT series. It might not be a perfect solution, but at least it is an option.

Happy birding

Interesting - is there a link to the microsite?

I suspect this will be another must-have bank-breaker ...!

I don't think so - which is rather unfortunate. The shape of the under-the-eyepiece-part-of-the-scope-main-body (I am sure there is a nice, fancy word for that) is different. Having said that, something has just occured to me: The balance rail supports the tripod in two places, in the front with a slot for the scope foot (and a screw) and at the back with a little removable block that supports the rounded under-the-eyepiece-part-of-the-scope-main-body it might be possible to hand-craft a little block that replaces the rounded one and which supports the squared base of the AT series. It might not be a perfect solution, but at least it is an option.

Happy birding

I thought that would be the case. I am going to investigate and test out the newish Manfrotto head 701hdv which has a sliding plate built in., when i next visit Kay Optics field day

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back