• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chrissy's Wildlife Art (1 Viewer)

ChrissyM

Having spent some time looking through the pages of the Wildlife art section, I feel almost intimidated by the quality of the work. I don't really have too many bird pieces, although I do have some wildlife art.
However, because I love to look at other people's, I am aware that it is contributors that make the section so interesting..
So here is one of my efforts. This is Cash, who is a turkmenian owl. He resides at Hagley falconry centre. I use coloured pencil mainly although I am currently trying my hand at watercolour, not with a great deal of success, I hasten to add ;) watercolour is blimmin hard!

Cash - owl.JPG

Anyway, Hagley is a great centre for a visit and they also take care of injured birds of prey from the wild.

I did try and link to the gallery but cannot work out how to do that...

Hi Chrissy-Marie - welcome to the best bit of the best bit - ie, posting work for comment and all that that entails. This is a gorgeous piece of work and shows precisely why you have no reason to feel at all intimidated by any of the work displayed on this forum. I look forward to seeing more of your terrific paintings and drawings here (I would recommend you post your images as you have done and not to bother linking to the gallery 'cos I'm sure we all like to see the thumbnails as an aperetif to opening the main file).

I must, however, repremand you somewhat on your use of disgraceful language:
watercolour is blimmin hard!
That sort of outburst is really not necessary at all ;)

Beuatiful drawing, love it. An incredibly soft bird depicted here, as I would imagine it is in life, not at all an easy thing to prescribe on paper. Very well seen and drawn and most certainly look forward to seeing more, welcome aboard..

Tim, Thanks very much for your lovely comments and the tip. Thumbnails seem a lot easier somehow.
As for bad language, well I can be guaranteed to bring down the tone anywhere, wait till I have been on the wine B :)

Apodemus, hopefully I won't become a bad influence then ;) thank you, I do have a thing about eyes as I am sure will become apparent!

buzzard12, thanks a lot...your comment is much appreciated especially as I spent some time trying to get that soft feather look and wasn't quite sure I had succeeded :)

another welcome from me, superb piece of work, it's got (as has already been said) that softness of the owl, and the sharpness of the eye, I always think owls are just a few sharp points floating about in fluff and you've caught that wonderfully here. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

And a welcome from me too. Owls are one of my favourites and this one's a cracker as everyone else has already pointed out. Looking forward to seeing more.

Mike

beautiful work! welcome welcome, glad to have some feminine energy here, tho have no complaint about the really great guys here.

Welcome! Beautiful piece, and a great opener to your thread. I hope there's plenty more where that came from...

Nick and Woody, thanks very much for the Welcome :)

Colleen, I recognise the name, are you the same Colleen that had that wonderful thread going in WC (100 birds or something like that) ? I seem to recall beautiful green heron studies...

Dave and Jomo, thank you. Jomo, I have more but I am not the fastest of workers. Mainly because of time restrictions, the length of time my work takes and at this time of year, I get embroiled in doing a few pet portraits which are not really suitable for here. But, hopefully now and then...I may also get brave and post up some of my frustrating efforts at watercolours and try not to swear ;)
I'll leave you with my latest wildlife effort and then it is time for me to have a good read back over some old threads to get to know you all a little better :D
lemur.JPG
Lemur ~ from a photograph taken in lemur wood, Dudley Zoo. Derwent Coloursofts on Daler Murano.

Lovely work again Chrissy Marie, and I wouldn't worry too much about some of your work not being precisely birds - I post all sorts of rubbish on my thread (not that I recommend you stoop to such levels!).
And yes, Colleen is indeed She of WC fame - bringing an added dimension to our little bit of BF.
Nice to see you've curbed your languange in this post!!!!!!

Hi Chrissy,
yes the same, that thread was the start of my work with birds, from that I found this place which IMHO is the finest place a budding bird artist could land.

Really supportive artists here, and so many who are deeply knowledgeable about birds, yet open to so many kinds of approaches to making art.

The finest treasure here to me is the emphasis on field sketching. With the support and sometimes frankly copying what the group does here my sketching abilities have finally flowered, and all my art has benefited from that. Field sketching is a natural thing for British artists, but here in the US where we become so dependent on photos it is very overlooked. It is such a joy and gives me so much more freedom in my work to be able to field sketch even at the most basic scribbly level.

So I'm very thankful to the core of artists here, mostly guys, who let this yankee join in , they are kind, helpful, funny, and very supportive, and no I won't repeat that to your wives or partners:-O

Tim, I think I can easily provide a little rubbish ;) although I didn't spot any of that in your thread...*she whistles whilst looking at the ceiling*

Thanks for the welcome Arthur :)

Colleen, it is always great when you find a bunch of people you fit in with. As someone who rediscovered art after a long time, I never realised the benefits of a few likeminded people .....until I went on holiday to Skiathos this year and met up with a group of artists :D

I really enjoy looking at everyone's field sketches, they show amazing talent and as you say, it is great to read along with a group of friendly people who clearly have loads of knowledge and a good sense of humour ;) I also very much enjoyed watching your journey, there was some lovely work in there which stood out.

What a gorgeously soft lemur! Colour pencil is a neglected medium that deserves more attention, you seem to be just the person to fly the flag!

Mike

Thank you again..............and inspired by you all, I have had a watercolour play over the w/e

heron800.JPG

and it is fitting for a bird forum, even if it requires a little more finesse, lol

love the heron, as fluid and as liquid as its surroundings. I really have to get the watercolours out this week - it's been too long!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back