• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chrissy's Wildlife Art (1 Viewer)

Thank you Tim :)

Continuing in my efforts to improve my watercolour technique, I have been doing lots and lots of tutorials. Some of them have taught me different ways to use a brush and others have just been good experience to see how the paint behaves.
I was lucky enough to go to the Art show at the NEC last week so got to see quite a few demonstrations which is always useful....the one mediem that I never got to do anything with way back in my art class days was watercolour.
I do know that the only way to get better with any medium is to practice....
But, at the end of practicing, eventually it is good to have a go at something back in your own style. Last week my OH took a lovely photo of a Robin amongst a wild rose bush, so yesterday trying to use all the things I had learned, I had a go at painting it.
robinsm.JPG
I think that this is the nearest I have got so far to achieving with watercolour what I set out in my head for it to look like. I am not sure if that makes any kind of sense but I know what I mean. Even better it seems to be relatively blotch free..o:)
I can see some dodgy bits that I need to practice but, hey ho, it is a slight improvement.

nice colours and attitude to the bird, and also nicely seasonal. You will find your way with watercolour, it shows from this piece that you like using pencil crayons, which is a fine way of working, though you may want to consider using larger brushes so as not to 'interrupt the natural flow' of the watercolour - or equally you may be happy working the way you are. It seems that watercolours are back in fashion on the threads.

Thanks Nick. I do like my CP's but they do lend themselves towards very detailed and precise work which I am hoping to move away from a little.

With watercolours, I would like just a little more loosness and flow to my work. But, rather than worry about it I shall just keep going and see how things develop. I love to play with techniques, eventually I think I will evolve into something that is "me". I do hope so

Ken, thank you, I have been enjoying looking through your thread very much and can identify with some of the feelings you have expressed using watercolour.

Colleen, thank you. I do think I need to experiment with different ways with watercolour...
I wished there were just one style that did it for me because then I could just concentrate in one area.
But, I look at other peoples work and sometimes I love that effortless (looking) loose style and then I spot someone very lifelike effort and marvel at that too. Typical gemini and would hazard a guess that I will end up incorporating both in my own work...*rolls eyes*
Although incredibly I do find it amusing that the robin took me less time than the background ;)

Although incredibly I do find it amusing that the robin took me less time than the background ;)

That always seems to be the case. You struggle over certain areas and whip out others and it turns out to be the latter that looks the best! Art is full of surprises! Of course if I try to just whip out everything then it doesn't work at all..........

Hi all, well an update from me before I catch up with some others...
I have been working on some different stuff really. Not sure that chickens count as wildlife but hey...I did try and loosen up a bit! hmmm

chicken.JPG
rooster.JPG
I am trying to get one good enough to give as a christmas prezzie..
I have also been working on a Christmas prezzie as a commission but it is probably safe enough here!
panda 2sm.JPG
I did go back to CP's for this one, I do feel more comfortable there.
But, again I have continued with some watercolour practice and had better put some wildlife in too....I tried a couple of different things, inspired by another thread I did a nuthatch in biro!
nuthatch.JPG
Not quite to the same standard but quite a nice exercise and this one that is still wet...
wren.JPG
You can tell it has been raining here!
Hope everyone is ok and if in the UK ...staying dry!

Hi all, well an update from me before I catch up with some others...
I have been working on some different stuff really. Not sure that chickens count as wildlife but hey...I did try and loosen up a bit! hmmm

Chickens certainly count in my book as 'wildlife'! Especially when so nicely done. My vote, though biased, is to continue with the loose style.

Happy to see so much new work!

I think chickens are honorary wildlife! I love 'em meself and when I get the time and space (after the lottery win) I'm gonna get me some chickens!

Mike

I think chickens are honorary wildlife! I love 'em meself and when I get the time and space (after the lottery win) I'm gonna get me some chickens!

Mike

If only we lived in the country rather than the middle of a large city I'd like to get some too. Though I do occasionally hear a rooster call in our neighborhood. So someone here has chickens! I've always thought that they make wonderful subjects for art. They just seem to say: draw me!!

fresh watercolors, nice work!
Chickens can become the focus of wildlife work, when we got some on the ranch where I live, the hawks came, and fox, and bobcats trying to get them, the hawks were successful several times, and did I mention the huge rat colony that grew around the free feed and eggs?:-O

Thanks a lot, looking at them all with a few days break, the chickens look the most vibrant of the lot, just require more practice.
Anyone got any quick tips on how to improve watercolour technique.
I don't keep chickens but a friend has rescued some from a battery farm and also has some nice varieties...and we have lovely eggs every week!
I must go and pay a visit with camera...we also have some local tourist attractions where they also have some lovely ones.
Colleen ;) All of those would be good but I'll give the rats a miss thanks..not my most favourite creature. It is one of those that gives me the shudders no matter how much I try to overcome. *Makes note to go and look up Bobcat!*
I find it interesting how you can see things in your own work after taking a break...
Observations to self
I need to start using white paper for my CP work, it gives an added vibrancy that I can only see when compared with some other recent work
Wren looks stilted somehow, I have achieved a better rendition where I have actually spent some time recently watching the subject

I explained to my OH that I really do want to go out and take some images of Fly Agaric, he looked at me puzzled and I said.............WELL I have this idea for a piece of art of a goblin sitting on the top of one..
He said but you have already got a pic of Fly agaric...and I said yeah, but the spots have all been washed off.
He went, so you can just imagine them then can't ya...cos you ain't gonna get a pic of the goblin either...
Just thought I'd share
:brains:

I didn't really get a lot done over the Christmmas period and January often leaves me lacking inspiration somehow.
So trying to think what I have been up to for the last month doesn't amount to a lot.
I have been working on a coloured pencil commission piece and am also half way through a red squirrel. Both are taking me a while as CP's tend to do but will post them up when I get somewhere near.
My watercolour efforts went a little different when I started doing a tutorial in the first instance which was a blue elephant. I so enjoyed myself with this one that I took it a stage further and painted blue elephants and also deer.

elephants sm.JPG deer sm.JPG

So here you have my blue period :king:

these are great, am I right in thinking that you drew them in with masking fluid, then splashed about with the paint? Trying to fathom out how you've got such wonderfully splashy watercolour with such neat crisp edges.

Thanks Nick, I do tend to use masking fluid quite a lot. Working with coloured pencils for a while has got me in the habit of reverse colour. All the lights and brights first.
I tend to draw my subjects out in a very light pencil quite loosely and then I use a masking fluid rubber pointed thingy (I am hopeles at technical names ;-) )and paint masking fluid lines where I want them. Not necessarily an outline. However, because the deer was an actual photo reference taken into the sun, the edge of that one are all very light.
I do like this method, it means I can indeed splash the paint with a little more abandon...|:D|

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back