• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moilanen's Birds (1 Viewer)

Hi Oskar,
My thread was out of date too. I tried to resurrect it, but I might have to start a new one.
Looks like you had a good sketching session. I especially like the tufted duck and the gull. Good idea to write notes alongside your drawings.
If you don't mind, may I make a suggestion? Make sure the ducks' bodies are large enough compared to their heads. It's easy to focus on the head because that's where the expression and character are concentrated. I think the proportions would be better if the bodies were a bit larger though. Good sense of the size relationship between the birds and their habitat. I look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

Hi Oskar,
My thread was out of date too. I tried to resurrect it, but I might have to start a new one.
Looks like you had a good sketching session. I especially like the tufted duck and the gull. Good idea to write notes alongside your drawings.
If you don't mind, may I make a suggestion? Make sure the ducks' bodies are large enough compared to their heads. It's easy to focus on the head because that's where the expression and character are concentrated. I think the proportions would be better if the bodies were a bit larger though. Good sense of the size relationship between the birds and their habitat. I look forward to seeing more of your sketches.
I don't mind at all, that is some good advice you're giving me. I did not notice until now how big of a head the tufted duck had, funny how the eyes can be blinded when looking at one's own work. Perhaps the other bodies needs to be a bit larger too, the tufted duck stood out though.

Thank you! |=)|

Bit of experimentation with water soluble graphite. Tail should've been behind the branch, didn't see that until it was too late.

Attachments

• 20140505_105214.jpg
    20140505_105214.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 92
Love the character of this bird. You've caught that really well. If you darken the branch to a similar tone to the tail, the positions of each will be less noticeable.

Water-soluble graphite pencils are great, aren't they? A very under-used medium, I think.

Love the character of this bird. You've caught that really well. If you darken the branch to a similar tone to the tail, the positions of each will be less noticeable.

Water-soluble graphite pencils are great, aren't they? A very under-used medium, I think.
Yes it was a pretty fun medium to use, I used a thin paper though so it buckled immediately. Will maybe have another go at it in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back