• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PF-65 ED well Received (1 Viewer)

Humboldt Jim

My first fair trial of the Pentax PF-65 ED AN scope and XF-12 eyepiece took place today on the south side of Humboldt Bay from the Public walkway about ten feet above the outgoing tide. Weather was hazy-bright with very little breeze and in the mid 60’s F. Observation was, to say the least, comfortable. My views were with the sun at my back and to the right at right angles to the sun.

My first impression of the view was of color neutrality and clarity. The best bird of my short session was a male Common loon at least 100 meters away with the sun on my right. I was able to see two filaments of down stuck to its bill from preening. The spectacular black and white back pattern had no false color from the scope that I could detect.

A Western gull about 30 meters away in the same direction offered a CA test (No, it was not a CA gull!). The gull was facing the sun and its brilliant white breast contrasted with the blue bay water and the distant Redwood covered hills. I looked intently for CA at the breast/blue interface and thought that there might have been a hint of orangish CA noticeable if I changed focus slightly. But then, maybe I was looking too hard.

The XF-12 eyepiece provided just enough eye relief to allow a full field view with my glasses on. I’m glad I chose it rather than the XF Zoom for my use.

For anyone wanting a compact, reasonably priced, waterproof, high quality scope, I would recommend the PF-65 ED. To my eyes, there is little difference between this and some scopes costing over twice as much. Save yourself $500 to $1000 and take a trip to that exotic birding location!

Almost as good as the scope was the operation of the Manfrotto 701rc2 head. What a joy to smoothly move to the target and have it stay there by just doing nothing!

When I get more acustomed to the scope I’ll report on other eyepieces.
:t:

Last edited:
Humboldt Jim said:
My first fair trial of the Pentax PF-65 ED AN scope and XF-12 eyepiece took place today on the south side of Humboldt Bay from the Public walkway about ten feet above the outgoing tide. Weather was hazy-bright with very little breeze and in the mid 60’s F. Observation was, to say the least, comfortable. My views were with the sun at my back and to the right at right angles to the sun.

My first impression of the view was of color neutrality and clarity. The best bird of my short session was a male Common loon at least 100 meters away with the sun on my right. I was able to see two filaments of down stuck to its bill from preening. The spectacular black and white back pattern had no false color from the scope that I could detect.

A Western gull about 30 meters away in the same direction offered a CA test (No, it was not a CA gull!). The gull was facing the sun and its brilliant white breast contrasted with the blue bay water and the distant Redwood covered hills. I looked intently for CA at the breast/blue interface and thought that there might have been a hint of orangish CA noticeable if I changed focus slightly. But then, maybe I was looking too hard.

The XF-12 eyepiece provided just enough eye relief to allow a full field view with my glasses on. I’m glad I chose it rather than the XF Zoom for my use.

For anyone wanting a compact, reasonably priced, waterproof, high quality scope, I would recommend the PF-65 ED. To my eyes, there is little difference between this and some scopes costing over twice as much. Save yourself $500 to $1000 and take a trip to that exotic birding location!

Almost as good as the scope was the operation of the Manfrotto 701rc2 head. What a joy to smoothly move to the target and have it stay there by just doing nothing!

When I get more acustomed to the scope I’ll report on other eyepieces.
:t:

Jim,
Thanks for posting your review. As far as I know, this site is the ONLY place on the whole www that has any reviews of this scope. It's nice to see the volume of reviews on this site building and they all seem favorable. Have you tried the scope the high powers of 45-60x? If so, do any optical deficiences emerge? Looking at the scope with a critical eye, is there anything about it that could be better? I'm still waiting to hear a reveiw of this scope with the XF zoom eyepiece as I am comparing this scope with the Zeiss 65.

Andy1 said:
Jim,
Thanks for posting your review. As far as I know, this site is the ONLY place on the whole www that has any reviews of this scope. It's nice to see the volume of reviews on this site building and they all seem favorable. Have you tried the scope the high powers of 45-60x? If so, do any optical deficiences emerge? Looking at the scope with a critical eye, is there anything about it that could be better? I'm still waiting to hear a reveiw of this scope with the XF zoom eyepiece as I am comparing this scope with the Zeiss 65.

I used my 10mm Vixen Lanthanum (39X) with no aberations. I may consider the big Pentax zoom or the Vixen lanthanum zoom later. I don't plan to try for more than 45x as I have found that seeing conditions rarely allow good terrestrial viewing above about 50x so does not have much of an effect on my birding experience.

After spending a long time pondering scopes I will be going into the proverbial telphone booth and changing from birding gearhead to birder. Mabe after a few months I will determine what the next piece of equipment will be to enhance my birding experience. ;)

Last edited:
Is this the light at the end of the tunnel?

I've been looking for a scope for so long now. I want something really good. Is the Pentax 65ED what I've been waiting for, or would I be better off going scopeless while save money for the Swarovski, Kowa, Zeiss or Leica? I digiscope with a cp4500. Will this scope work for me? The multitude of eyepiece options are confusing to me. The prices scare me. I have no shortage of items on my wish list--only a shortage of funds. I don't know why the top-of-the-line scopes are so much more expensive than the runner-ups. Is there an affordable competitor? Specifically, can I stop shopping now?

Last edited:
Cliff,

I have NO experience with the Pentax 65, I did own the 80 for awhile. If the performance of the 65 is comparable to the 80 I think it may be the scope for you. Unfortunately there seems to be a plethora of eyepieces to choose from including 2 zooms. I prefer zooms to fixed eyepieces, although I will agree there can be tradeoffs in optical perfomrance. Personally, because of eye relief, I would be tempted to go with the bigger zoom (16x-48x) inlieu of the (20x-60x).

In my not so humble opinion for an 80mm scope, the Pentax is at the knee of the price-performance curve.

Meopta may be another brand to consider, although you don't really see much about them.

I can't really recommend anything much under $500. Perhaps some other BFers can.

Bill Atwood said:
Cliff,

I have NO experience with the Pentax 65, I did own the 80 for awhile. If the performance of the 65 is comparable to the 80 I think it may be the scope for you. Unfortunately there seems to be a plethora of eyepieces to choose from including 2 zooms. I prefer zooms to fixed eyepieces, although I will agree there can be tradeoffs in optical perfomrance. Personally, because of eye relief, I would be tempted to go with the bigger zoom (16x-48x) inlieu of the (20x-60x).

In my not so humble opinion for an 80mm scope, the Pentax is at the knee of the price-performance curve.

Meopta may be another brand to consider, although you don't really see much about them.
can't really recommend anything much under $500. Perhaps some other BFers can.

Bill,

If you think paying twice as much is worth getting 5-10% more performance out of a scope, you may wish to forgo the use of a scope until you save up
IMHO most of the so called top line scope prattle is about bragging rights and status. I was looking for a solid performer and I beleive that I found one.

Think of what you can do with the $1,000 US you saved while using the scope that you would not have had if you put off getting it!

Quite frankly, I don't want a scope or binoculars but to see wildlife up close. Unfortuanately, my eyeballs and stalking ability are merely human.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I need all the help I can get on this matter. Do you guys have any digiscoping experience with a Pentax scope? By the the Bill, you say you used to own a Pentax: What'd you trade it in for? Did you move past "the knee" a bit?

Yeah Cliff I moved past the knee alright...way out...to a Swarovski ATS 80 HD.

Its a bit of a convoluted story. More of a weight reduction issue than an optical issue. When I'm using a scope I tend to take my time, thereby spending alot of time looking through it. One thing that isn't mentioned alot is wind shake. I had used the typical support rig, a Bogen 3221/3130, but with the 80mm Pentax I found it lacking in any kind of wind. I had the same problem with the older Swaro ST80. Never notice it with the Kowa TSN4.

For the Pentax I ended up using a heavy Bogen 3246 to get acceptable stability. I got tired of lugging this package around. When the Swaro 65s came out, BVD said they were about as good as the 80mm scopes. A nice little lightweight scope sounded good, plus I had a local buyer for the Pentax. By the time I got up to Eagle Optics to look at the new 65, the Swaro 80 was out. It didn't take much study to figure out the 65s aren't a match for an 80 much above 40x. What can I say? I'm a man and I like high power. The Swaro 80 wasn't much heavier or bigger so that's what I bought. I also later purchased a Gitzo 1227 Carbon Fiber tripod. This is a very nice light combo which has the best image stability I have seen. Although someone really needs to develop a better pan head.

The scope is and angled version, when its real windy (>20mph). I can lay a forearm down it to steady it even further. The only good thing I can say from a financial standpoint is that I managed to get the scope at the cheapest price I have ever seen it. I think its $2,100 or more these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back