• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best binoculars? (1 Viewer)

how do you want to improve on excellent?

if too heavy, consider the lighter 8x32s, but not as good in low light
if need higher mag for distant birds, consider 10-12x but becomes hard to hold steady
if need more light gathering in low light consider 50mm but heavier

always tradeoffs,
edj

Seconded. If budget is under pressure, and you want a small(-ish) 8x32 with top-class optics and 3D, consider looking for a used pair of Nikon SE 8x32. Unfortunately out of production, but it's my main bino now and I don't want an expensive roof anymore (having been through many). The SE doesn't come up very often, but it does happen here on BF Classifieds and on E-Bay. Don't worry about serial numbers, there has been a lot of discussion about whether or not there were changes over the years but I think the general consensus is that even if there were, they were almost imperceptible. If you get your hands on one, give it a few months, and if you don't like it, you'll easily sell it on, such is the demand out there for this outstanding binocular.

Edit: I've never seen a Kite Lynx 8x30 or a Nikon Monarch M7 8x30, but the reviews are excellent and they're not "alpha" priced.

Last edited:
Well with my financial situation just now, probably not. The 8x42 HT Binoculars which I’ve had for approx 3-4 years are excellent binoculars for myself.
Ian.

Then the answer to your question is there are a few best binocular makers. Each one makes all around as well as specialized designs. No way of determining who is the best maker that I know of.

When looking for binoculars I look for the best design for a specific application that is within budget.

edit: I think you may be asking one question and many of us including me are answering a somewhat different one.

Last edited:
As far as manufacturers go, I'd say Swarovski. They only sell high-end models so they don't have compromised ones like the made-in-China Zeiss Terra or the Nikon Aculons, and their service is top-notch.

That said, the top-of-the line Zeiss like the Victory HT or SF are every bit as good. I also have the 8x42 HT. While the SF may offer a wider field of view and slightly sharper edges due to the flattening lenses, the HT has better transmission and is every bit an Alpha binocular, and should easily last you 20 years or more. There's no reason to look elsewhere except if you want lightweight binoculars for more casual use, in which case the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket are outstanding as well.

Swarovski, then Meopta. All Meostar products are made in one factory in the Czech Republic. I have Meopta B1 10x42 HD

Last edited:
Swarovski, then Meopta. All Meostar products are made in one factory in the Czech Republic. I have Meopta B1 10x42 HD
Agreed. Meopta are superb in the Customer Service department. I have never, ever had an issue with my Meopta scope, apart from losing attachments through my own fault. Meopta replaced them free of charge, and with pleasant, friendly exchange of emails to boot!

Sorry for what, to some, seems an obvious answer but there just isn't an answer to this question.

It's like asking who makes the best cars. Based on what?
Performance? Reliability? Value? Creature features? Looks? Price?
I happen to think that Toyotas are probably the best made cars but others might think it's a BMW or a Ferrari.

To the OP, I think the question is a little naive and any definitive answer you get should be taken with a grain of salt. B :)

Last edited:
Sorry for what, to some, seems an obvious answer but there just isn't an answer to this question.

It's like asking who makes the best cars. Based on what?
Performance? Reliability? Value? Creature features? Looks? Price?
I happen to think that Toyotas are probably the best made cars but others might think it's a BMW or a Ferrari.

To the OP, I think the question is a little naive and any definitive answer you get should be taken with a grain of salt. B :)

Kev
I think you did a great job of explaining why no answer can be 'definitive'.

Lee

Kev
I think you did a great job of explaining why no answer can be 'definitive'.

Lee

Yeah but....vague questions about optics allow us all to wander around aimlessly pontificating, like a creche-full of toddlers each going wild on his own hobby-horse;).

Yeah but....vague questions about optics allow us all to wander around aimlessly pontificating, like a creche-full of toddlers each going wild on his own hobby-horse;).

Sancho dear friend

What do you mean 'us all'?
You have posted 7 times on this thread: more than anyone else :-O
On the other hand I think I am in second place so I had better shut up before I reach the foot-in-mouth stage.......
Lee

Last edited:
Sancho and others. Please be aware there is now a dedicated Meopta section in the scopes sub-forum!

Great news! Their scopes are even better than their binoculars.

Did the moderators move all Meopta-related posts from the general Scopes forum into the newly created one? If so, thanks, that must have been quite a bit of work.

Last edited:
Hi,

You asked:
In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best binoculars?
In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best average all round binoculars? Just to say I don’t know much about this subject. But just to say I’ve got a pair of Zeiss 8x42 HT binoculars.
Ian.

Seems like two questions here that will have different answers.
Q) Best company for making the best binoculars? A) No clear winner here...
Q) Best company for making the best average all around binocular? A) No clear winner here either...

Hope this helps,

CG

However, my vote for best average all around... goes to those in the $600 to $1300 US price range.

Great news! Their scopes are even better than their binoculars.

Did the moderators move all Meopta-related posts from the general Scopes forum into the newly created one? If so, thanks, that must have been quite a bit of work.

No this work was undertaken by Birdforum's very own Andy (take a bow, Andy) who put in the spade-work to shift a huge heap of Meopta-related posts into the new section. And yes it was quite a task, so a big thanks to Andy.

Lee

Hi,

You asked:
In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best binoculars?
In forum members opinion which is the best company for making the best average all round binoculars? Just to say I don’t know much about this subject. But just to say I’ve got a pair of Zeiss 8x42 HT binoculars.
Ian.

Seems like two questions here that will have different answers.
Q) Best company for making the best binoculars? A) No clear winner here...
Q) Best company for making the best average all around binocular? A) No clear winner here either...

Hope this helps,

CG

LOL. Thanks for your input CG but I see a tiny flaw in your logic.

You said it seems that the two questions will have different answers but you have given them both the same answer.............

Nevertheless it got me laughing :king:

Lee

The question asked is about the best binocular maker. That means a select few that actually manufacture
their own binoculars. The list includes, Leica, Meopta, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss.

Does anyone have any others that qualify ?

Lots of binoculars sellers out there, easy to do that. A suitcase of cash and
a trip to China or Japan, and you are in business. Just check the order blank.

As far as best, I don't have an opinion on that, I own examples of all of those above, and they all have their moments. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
A suitcase of cash and a trip to China or Japan, and you are in business.

Jerry

I would like to modify that some:

Two LARGE suitcases and a LITTLE cash. :cat:

Bill

PS Not ALL of those listed manufacture ALL of their own products.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back