• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon 16x70 (1 Viewer)

sixtus

I have the option of getting some of these cheap. I'll also use them for spotting game and astronomy. Wondered if any good for starting out birdwatching too?

Hi,

nice piece of glass for astro, but strictly on a tripod only. Forget about using a pair of 16x bins handheld - let alone a 2kg one.

Joachim

Joachim is absolutely right and I can see from internet pics that these binos do not have central focusing: you need to focus each eyepiece individually which is fine for stars and planets and perhaps distant game too but birds at medium and close distances will be difficult to keep in focus especially as the depth of field of 17x will be very narrow so if the bird moves a short distance away from you or towards you, you will have to refocus. Waders on walking about on distant mud or ducks on a lake in the distance, or set up on a tripod to monitor a nest might be ok though but basically you would not choose this bino for normal nature observation.

Lee

They are very nice binos - well made, sturdy, nicely finished, great sharp image (with a slight amount of CA, though, as they don’t feature ED glass) but I use mine only for astro.
Joachim and Lee have explained why: barely useful without a tripod, and the individual focusing works best with observations at either a fixed distance or at infinity.
But: if you can get them cheap and they are in good condition, this could be your bino for astronomy.

Though they demand the use of a tripod, and they are individual focus, they can still be great for terrestrial viewing... at a distance.

Fuji 16x70s have great optics and actually focus quite easily for IF bins. Mine won't focus any closer than about 60' but here's a trick for expanding the depth field: Focus one EP to a medium distance and the other near infinity.

You'll be surprised how well this works and when you come across a subject you want a better look at just adjust one EP or the other to suit.

For dawn or dusk you'll be hard pressed to find anything better, again at a distance. I recommend them, especially if you're getting a bargain.

My 10x70 fujinons were my most useful ASTRO binoculars,
on a tripod IF not that bad for terrestrial;
just too much for handheld --weight, mag, IF
and a tank could run over them without damage

edj

Mine won't focus any closer than about 60' but here's a trick for expanding the depth field: Focus one EP to a medium distance and the other near infinity.
Very interesting. Do you find this takes some getting used to, or does it work instantly? I've heard of people having one contact lens optimized for distance and the other for closer work, and somehow the brain adapts to that. But I've never tried it myself. I'll have to experiment!

Very interesting. Do you find this takes some getting used to, or does it work instantly? I've heard of people having one contact lens optimized for distance and the other for closer work, and somehow the brain adapts to that. But I've never tried it myself. I'll have to experiment!

It works pretty much right out of the gate. IF bins have an advantage here. The brain is crazy powerful. Just "think" distant and you're seeing distant, near, near.

Understand it does improve when focus is adjusted for both tubes for your subject, but for scanning and general use? Yeah it works.

I have the following Fujinon binoculars.

Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50
Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50
Fujinon FMT-SX 10x70
Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70​

These were designed primarily for fishing and military applications. They have been adopted by amateur astronomers because of their excellent optics. The 7x50 and 10x50 can be handheld. While the 10x70 and 16x70 are much heavier and require a firm tripod.

Yes, they have individual focus eyecups rather than a central focus wheel. Thus, they tend to be more useful for fixed distances.

The 16x70 size can perform quite well for birdwatching when the birds are at a distance, as well as during low light situations because of the large aperture. However, I prefer the 10x70 over the 16x70 because of the larger exit pupil.

If you can get the 16x70 at a bargain price, I recommend you consider picking them up. They will last your lifetime and possibly the lifetimes of your heirs.

Here are some of the specifics of the 16x70.

Prism: porro
Close focus: 36 feet
Exit pupil: 4.4 mm
Eye relief: 12.4 mm (possibly not enough for eyeglass use)
Aperture: 2.75 inch
Scope equivalent: 3.42 inch (because of two eye use)
FOV: 4.0 degrees
Weight: 76.2 oz
Size: 10.6 x 9.8 inch
Magnitude limitation: 10.0 under 5.0 skies (night sky astronomy use)
Magnitude limitation: 11.2 under 6.5 skies
They would be nice for bird species study at a feeder or during nesting times.

Last edited:
I use mine instead of a spotting scope, and since I bird from the car I just run the window up far enough to rest them.

I figure that if I can't see it with them I'll just give it a pass and go find something else.

I do mostly ponds and fields.

They are a supplement to 10X roof prism binoculars.

They will give you fits if you have a big or a broad nose. If you are Asian you will be fine.

Thanks for the extra comments. I don't mind the weight, I use scopes on heavy rifles held offhand. 16x I don't think would be an advantage over 10x due to the movement but I'd consider the extra option of stabilising it on something or mounting it when needed when needed. I wish there were some nearby to test , its the best way to be sure. Unfortunately not any around me.

It works pretty much right out of the gate. IF bins have an advantage here. The brain is crazy powerful. Just "think" distant and you're seeing distant, near, near.
Understand it does improve when focus is adjusted for both tubes for your subject, but for scanning and general use? Yeah it works.
Hmm, not very well for me, not a nice view at all, at least with CF and 10x. Fun to try though. I can see how it could work better at lower power... what difference would CF/IF make, assuming sufficient range in either case, as there seemed to be?

Hmm, not very well for me, not a nice view at all, at least with CF and 10x. Fun to try though. I can see how it could work better at lower power... what difference would CF/IF make, assuming sufficient range in either case, as there seemed to be?

Your post had me doubting myself so I just had the 16x70s out back and did some testing.

One EP focused at about 150' and the other to infinity, works like a champ for me. Better than I remembered. I found it is slightly better if I use the near focus for my master eye.

I also mounted the 12x50 BNs, separated the focuser (diopter), and they worked great in this mode as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back