• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd Hand Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm considering upgrading my Opticron HR bins for something a little better. I have regularly purchased 2nd hand photographic equipment & had no difficulties and was wondering if the same could be applied to optics.

I was hoping to get either a pair of Swarovski or Leica without having to sell my body ! (not that its worth much) and wondered what sort of savings could be made or if this route is fraught with danger. My intention is to buy from a dealer rather than privately or on e bay

Hi Taxboy (a worrying name).... A big BF welcome to you from all the moderators and admin here.
Secondhand optics are generally a reliable buy.... just check out the basics like focus and look at lenses for significant problems. Have a look to see if there are any foreign particles inside the objective lenses ... shouldn't be seeing much if they are waterproof and Nitrogen filled.
The very top binos don't come up on the secondhand market too often.... dealers take them in when someone upgrades, but there's no real upgrade route for owners of Leica BN, Swarovski EL or Nikon HG.
Regards,
Andy

My local birding website had this in the classified section:

Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL binoculars
As new, boxed, unused - the perfect gift
RRP £929 selling at £720 ovno. Bargain!!
Telephone: Louise Collis 01753 848223 (office hours)

http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/
Click on Classified, More on R/H side of home page

Don't know how long its been there, or if they've gone!.

rrp of £929 ...... should be around £800 typical shop price, even less from a certain shop in Sussex that imports them from Germany (have to go back to shop, then Swaro' Germany for repairs).
Andy

My Leicas are second hand (from a reputable dealer) - I've had them for four years with no problems.

Tony

Thanks to all your replies - it seems to mirror my experience with camera gear. Now all I've got to do is make up my mind exactly what I want.
Andy - Noted your post about imported bins are they yet another item cheaper in the EU ?

Taxboy

You might be better off getting a cheap flight to Vienna and buying the EL's direct from their homeland!

I've heard of people importing them direct from Germany and saving a lot of money..... but I still think some tax is due, if caught. Not sure about buying them in Austria.... from memory everything was expensive there. My parents visited the Swarovski factory and their crystal figurines were no cheaper than here.
The shop in East Grinstead ( F.A. Anderson, a traditonal type gun shop) used to advertise in the birding mags, I saved about £70 on my 10X42el's in comparison to buying from the cheapest U.K. retailer..... Swarovski keep a very tight grip on pricing at their authorised dealers.
aNDY

Hi - keep an eye on eBay! Got lucky there a while ago and picked up a brand new, boxed Swarovski 8x42EL with full warranty for £550.

Very, very happy with them by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back