• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To RAW or not to RAW: which software is better? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
after reading a few threads re. RAW shooting (which I'd like to adopt sooner or later ... you've convinced me ... sigh, more time to be spent on my PC |=o| ), I've started checking which software would be more user-friendly and less time-consuming.
I've seen many of you suggest using RAWShooter, others prefer the Canon software (Photo something....) but I sadly realized that RAWShooter seems not to be working with Canon cameras, at least newer models (I use a Canon 350D)... am I wrong?
Therefore, which software would you suggest?
Any suggestion or advice about this choice would be welcome.
Thank you,
Max

Hi Max,

I took the advice of Arthur Morris and bought Breeze Systems software: Downloader Pro for downloading (via a Delkin eFilm reader), and BreezeBrowser Pro for reviewing and converting files. The software is easy to use and in my opinion does a great job.

I've had no experience with other packages, so I can't compare it with the many available. Previously I used the Canon software and USB lead packaged with the camera for downloading (painfully slow) and converted from RAW in Photoshop, but I'm much happier with the results with the Breeze software.

BreezeBrowser Pro - $69.95 (£37.65)
BreezeBrowser Pro + Downloader Pro - $89.90 (£48.38)

Just realised this sounds like a sales pitch! I have no connection with this Company (honest)!

RAWshooter is compatible with 350D images
I have tried many different RAW converters, I think Breezebrowser pro wins hands down with Capture 1 a close second.

I use Rawshooter and find it very user-friendly and easy . It's good enough for my needs AND - It's free. I am sure there are better softwares out there but it all summs down to what your needs are .

I have used Rawshooter essentials for a year and found it really user friendly--the 30D is not as yet supported by essentials but they are doing an offer on Rawshooter Premium which works out at £39-16 with VAT (not sure how that works for a downloaded bit of software!) but Premium supports the 30D and has several additional extras to Essentials which allow eg cropping and resizing without going into Photoshop, additional correction tools etc---not keen on paying for software but this £40 will save me time and improve my output so over a year its not a lot to pay

Max, I started with Canon's own RAW conversion software, tried direct in Paint Shop Pro - didn't like the results, went back to Canon's, tried Rawshooter (hated the interface and way it works), went back to Canon's...I now use Breezebrowser Pro and will be staying with it. It suits the way I work and found it very easy to use. I also use Downloader Pro - this is a very nice tool, makes downloading and managing from cards so simple.

Graham - why are you not keen on paying for software?

Cheers

Mark.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back