• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Birds at our backyard bird feeders this morning: Carolina Wren (2), American Goldfinch (2), House Finch (10), Dark-eyed Junco (1), Downy Woodpecker (2), European Starling (1), White-breasted Nuthatch (1), Red-bellied Woodpecker (1), Black-capped Chickadee (2), Blue Jay (1), Northern Cardinal (1) & House Sparrow (2). Brenda will be watching our feeders on count day, Jan 2, with her sister Tomme. I will be doing my area around Lake Contrary with a couple of other guys. Good Birding to all.

December 28th
Off and on from- 7:30 am - 9:00 am
35 F, partly cloudy, no wind, no precipitation
-----------------------------------------
Backyard feeder birds:
Northern Cardinal (2)
Carolina Wren (1)
House Finch (10)
Mourning Dove (1)
Dark-eyed Junco (4)
American Robin (2)
European Starling (1)
House Sparrow (6)
Downy Woodpecker (1()
Black-capped Chickadee (1)
American Goldfinch (2)

December 29, 2016, backyard feeder birds this morning:
Carolina Wren (1)
Dark-eyed Junco (2)
Black-capped Chickadee (10
American Goldfinch (2)
House Finch (14)
House Sparrow (5)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1)

January 4, 2017
* Watching on and off from 8 AM - Noon *
Birds at our backyard bird feeders this morning
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
House Sparrow - 6
Northern Cardinal - 2
Black-capped Chickadee - 2
Carolina Wren - 2
Blue Jay - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
*We usually have a European Starling or two drop in for a visit, but did not see any this morning!

We received a couple of inches of snow last night and this morning we had 14 species of birds coming to our backyard bird feeders and one fly over bird.
Northern Cardinal
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-capped Chickadee
American Goldfinch
Carolina Wren
House Finch
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
White-breasted Nuthatch
European Starling
American Robin
Hairy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
------
*American Crow- (flyover)

Well Larry, glad to see that your busy, of course your dump of snow will help as well.

Its mild again here in East Cheshire and very slow on the bird front. Redwings are numerous but sat watching from the trees the Blackbirds eat the apples from the lawn, whilst 2 Mistle Thrush are the first of the Winter, but apart from the residents..... nothing.

No Siskin or Redpoll which is a worry as this will be the first year for over a decade with zero. I know the Winter hasn't really happened here yet but its mighty quiet.

Had a morning working from home today and the garden was buzzing. Great Spotted Woodpecker, Dunnocks, Jay, Nuthatches, Great, Blue and Coal Tits, Goldcrest, Goldfinches, Siskins and even a Treecreeper.

I need to work from home more often:t:

Rich

I saw a Barn Owl perched on the balcony of my parents flat in Highgate London early evening. Also heard 5 Tawney Owls calling out from the balcony. Some close some in the far distance.

Walking up and down the roof a gray Wagtail looking for insects in my own place in Somerset.

Just prepping Sunday dinner and being (happily) distracted by the Siskins:t:

Attachments

• IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3730.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 29
Hey, Clark, nice to see you getting the goldfinches and siskins. We had 18 goldfinches coming to our feeders this morning, but have yet to see any siskins this winter. Guess the siskins stayed up north!

We have had an abundance of birds (10 species) this morning coming to our backyard bird feeders. It is unseasonably warm 50 degrees F and drizzling rain. All of a sudden a Cooper's Hawk came into the yard, out of nowhere, and appeared to snag one of the birds which was on the ground below the feeders. It was so quick that I was not certain if the hawk was successful in its attempt or not. Of course, all the other birds scattered and did not return for a considerable amount of time! The birds which had been at the feeders were: Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch, House Finch, House Sparrow,Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker and Dark-eyed Junco.

They are predicting a major ice storm to hit our area today. The birds are really flocking to our feeders this morning. Northern Cardinal, Dark-eyed Junco, American Goldfinch, Black-capped Chickadee, House Finch, House Sparrow, White-breasted Nuthatch. *I counted 21 of the American Goldfinch on the feeders at one point! I suppose the birds sense that a storm is coming! *Just added a Downy Woodpecker and Red-bellied Woodpecker.
* I believe the weather report stated that the storm is supposed to last for several days. Guess we better batten down the hatches and turn up the furnace! And now European Starling, Northern Flicker and Carolina Wren.

Last edited:
Stacks of birds using the feeders yesterday after the first snow in the south-east of the UK this winter. High numbered charm of Goldfinches joined by over a dozen Chaffinches and a few Greenfinches. 5 species of Tit: Blue, Great, Coal, Marsh and Long-tailed. Numerous Robins, Blackbirds, Dunnocks & Pheasants on the ground. Great Spotted Woodpecker and Nuthatch popped in too. Still no sign of Siskins or Bramblings though!

Attachments

• IMG_6361 (2).jpg
    IMG_6361 (2).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6436 (2).jpg
    IMG_6436 (2).jpg
    131 KB · Views: 27
This morning the streets are ice covered and hardly any traffic is moving. The birds are coming in to the feeders with some regularity. Northern Cardinal, Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, House Finch, House Sparrow, American Goldfinch, Carolina Wren and European Starling. *At 10:00 o'clock there were no birds coming to the feeders.

Circa 20+Redpolls outback...1st for the year, and two entered the garden briefly, but didn't land on the feeders!
Rain forecast tomorrow, normally increases activity :eek!:...fingers x'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back