• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of vulture? Moab, UT, USA (1 Viewer)

Katemail13

Southeastern Utah, USA
Hi, folks.

This guy landed in my backyard tree today. He's quite out of season. Is he a juvenile Turkey Vulture, or a strange-looking Black Vulture? He'd be out of his territory if he's a Black Vulture. Honestly, he doesn't look right for either. There were a Magpie and 3 American Crows harassing him the whole time he was here.

Any help is great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 3 011a.jpg
    3 011a.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 3 031a.jpg
    3 031a.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 3 009b.jpg
    3 009b.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 42
Yup, Turkey Vulture. I have so very many flying over my yard every afternoon headed for the waterway.

Thanks, all.

He's very out of season for here. All the others have been gone for about 2 months. Also, is it normal for there to be a juvenile this time of year? I'm not too familiar with the turkey vulture life cycle.

Not so much a juvie but an immature. In other words, this is a hatching year Vulture. So it probably hatched during the normal breeding season and this is his first upcoming winter.

Thanks, again, everyone, for the info! I've already reported him to ebird.

Yes, stevethehydra - They are pretty creepy looking!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back