• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikko Stirling NightEater Binoculars (1 Viewer)

But I notice that they are

"ETE-Microlux Fully Multi-Coated"

which rings a bell.

I've seen Hawke and Optisan using that name. So I presume they use the same OEM/ODM for their coatings.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=123973

A little further searching reveals "Nikko Stirling - Since 1956". I presume a hunting supplier that is getting their own ODM bins.

http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/Binoculars/GoldCrown.htm

They seem to be a one off as the only other bin they do is a compact.

A "newer" style open bridge enclosure that has been mentioned a couple of times but no one has actually seen one yet.

And the specs look middling: non-ED.

I do own a Nikko binocular. I purchased it from the Sportsman's Guide 7 or 8 years ago. It is a 12x25 reverse porro and...drum roll please....the optics are actually quite good. Surprisingly good considering:

1) We are talking about a configuration and subsequent exit pupil size that is not my usual cup of tea.

2) They have a plastic body and sold for around $60.

Made in Japan though.

Nikko Stirling are an Australian based company that has been around for 50 odd years. They originally sourced from Japan but now source from China. The Nighteaters are Bosma sourced. ETE means 'Edge to Edge'. They have the pull out diopter adjustment on the main focuser. I believe they are not phase coated however. I was looking at buying some 10x50 a few weeks ago and made several enquires if they were P.C. - most feedback indicated they were not - however I cannot be sure 100 % about this. The also look very similar to Cabelas Alpha series which are P.C. coated.
I am in the process of buying a 10x50 as they are a reasonable price and I will report the outcome. I might however end up with the 10x42's - the Afov is better at 65 degrees vs. 53 for the 50 mm's.

Chris
New Zealand

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

I would hope the lens coatings are "Edge to Edge'": the gaps tend to annoy me ;)

I can't beleive anyone is making a non-PC open bridge bin ... that would be truly remarkable.

Are there any other indigenous Aussie (or even Kiwi) bin firms? I presume no-one is making bins locally in the South Pacific these days.

Yes I thought the 'Edge to Edge' reference was strange ! Yes it is frustrating that I am unable to find out if there are P.C. - the local distributor in N.Z. is unsure. The supplier in Australia is also unsure !
The Bosma site indicates 'Phase corrected prisms available' on this series which would indicate they can supply them without PC. I guess they will supply these as a OEM bino at a specific price point and specs for redistribution world wide.
There are no local N.Z. or Australian binos made, they are all rebadge Asian optics.

Chris

I am in the process of buying a 10x50 as they are a reasonable price and I will report the outcome. I might however end up with the 10x42's - the Afov is better at 65 degrees vs. 53 for the 50 mm's.

Chris
New Zealand

I am curious why 50mm has narrower FOV than 42mm even with the same magnification. Is it dictated by the limit of design?

The AFOV has nothing to do with the size of the objectives and everything to do with the eyepieces.

They almost certainly don't have the same EP design with a difference that big. The other alternative is the field stop is just smaller but I rather doubt it's 12 degrees smaller.

The two bins have similarly different FOVs which comes out of the magnification and the AFOV the designer decides on.

Chris is that specified or calculated AFOV?

Kevin,

Thanks.

Two comments.

One, do they only produce two models now? The compact roofs are not something I would like to pursue. The Nighteaters look nice especially considering the 8x36 configuration....if they were only phase coated....

Hi - The AFOV is specified to me by the Australian dealer.
The Bosma web site is below.
Bosma supply a surprising amout of OEM binos, including the ED Zen Ray, Promaster, Vortex [some] and Hawke Frontiers. They also supply for Fujinon, Burris, Umarex, Konus, Kenko, Meade/Simmons, Swift, TS in Germany and others.
It is frustrating that the Nighteaters are not P.C. [or even that I cannot find this simple fact out.]

I recently aquired a 'middle range' roof from Bosma as a sample - it was a 'no name' number 302001 [how romantic !].
It has good specs W.P/ P.C./ F.M.C. etc. and has smooth 'micro click' twist eyecups. FOV is 7.4* and optically wise it is close to the other name 'middle range roofs' like the Nikon Monarchs. It was a third the price of the Monarchs.
This model is sold in other international markets by many of the above name companies - with a suitable markup.

Chris

http://www.bosma.com.cn/en/about.asp?no1=12

http://www.nikkostirling.com/Content/Binoculars/GoldCrown.htm

Attachments

• bosma 2.jpg
    bosma 2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 230
  • bosma 1.jpg
    bosma 1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Chris,

I remember you posting about this bin elsewhere. How does one go about getting a bin directly from Bosma? I am curious and might like to pursue that route.

Thanks.

The binocular pictured in the attached thumbnail looks like the Swift Reliant. The open bridge binocular in the linked url looks like the Alpen Wings.

Chris you might search for Bosma on the forum too we have a few threads (mostly started by me) for both bins and scopes.

Rather than hijack this thread we should perhaps start another but I'd like to hear more about your Bosma experience (and I'm sure Frank and Steve do too).

Hi yes I gave been contributing on the 'other' forum for some years now but have spent more time here recently as I seem to have started to collect the smaller roof / porro binos for more day viewing and general birding.
As I get older staying up late and looking at stars get more difficult !
Just with the Bosmas - I have a Chinese friend who is a N.Z. resident who makes regular trips to China. He buys the Bosmas at factory prices via family connections. He bought the above bino for me as a demonstration model. He is currently bringing back 3x various ED versions as onsold by Zen, Ray Promaster etc. for me to sample. I keep the ones that I prefer which is good as it costs me a third to half the retail price.
The above Bosmas I mentioned above are really optically very good. I am just so impressed how the quality and affordabilty of roofs has become - these roofs are very sharp on axis, no flaring or with spiking with stars, the image is very usable with curvature of field from about 80% out which is good for a 7.4 degree bino. The image is flat and there no observable or distracting CA or other aberrations or distortions on gross examination. Color fidelity and contrast agian is very acceptable.
The eyecups have the firm micro clicks and are well constructed.
I find the image preferable to my Japanese made Olympus Megallan [EXWP] 8x42 and equal to my Vixen Apex Pros. The only one concern is that for me the right diopter has to be at its 'maxiumum' for me to acheive fine focus - others will vary with this.

Chris

Their back allbeit 3404 days. Still no mention of PC. I liked the price of $58.62, but the flat-rate shipping of 9.89 sorta soured me on the deal. I wonder where these have been cooling their heels.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/Vie...medium=Email&utm_campaign=Follow Your Compass

ETA: At Safari Firearms in Sydney, shrimp on the barbie mate, they can be had for a mere $291.95 AUD.

https://www.safarifirearms.com.au/collections/200-500/nikko-stirling

Sorry Frank, no reverse porros to be had it seems.

Last edited:
This thread surprised me - never heard of the Bosma brand before, esp. as an OEM supplier of binoculars.

Edit - checked the website and they, alas, appear to be re-branders...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back