• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leptoptilos lüi (1 Viewer)

When I try to bring up the Auk article, it kindly tells me that no abstract is available.

I don't know if I need a Bluffer's Guide to the Code - or simply to have Google Translate operate on the Code.

On second thought, after seeing some Google translations this morning I think that maybe the version of the Code that I have seen is the output from Google Translate. In one case, Google rendered 12 centimeters as 12 inches - but so did Bing Translate.

I cannot even find the title in the list of "just accepted" which otherwise goes back to March.

Niels

I recall others experiencing similar problems with JSTOR/Auk/Condor. Browsers are sometimes convinced that they have the latest page in cache - and so refuse to download an updated page even when a refresh is requested. Best to configure your browser to always clear cache on exit, to guarantee downloading of latest pages when next used.

Strange: In two browsers, when I start from Richard's link I get a page without an abstract. On the page I get there is a link to an Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/auk.2012.11227

Clicking that link in IE gets me the abstract, in Opera I get a page loading error (Temporary error).

Niels

PS: and clicking the link I just added here in Opera took me to the Jstor page with everything. I guess it was simply a question of Jstor moving the content from an interim place to the permanent place.

Niels

Last edited:
Suffice to say, the JSTOR website includes 'features' unappreciated by some browsers...

Maybe, but maybe the difference was not browser but timing dependent such that once the JSTOR people had gotten it right, it again worked in Opera.

Niels

And in support of Niels' observation, when I later tried to see the abstract without making any changes, refreshing, etc - it worked.

Apparently timing - or nationality - is everything.

Presumably lu isn't of Germanic origin, but rather Chinese. This being the case, why would umlauts be used - as far as I am aware, they don't feature in the pinyin system of pronounciation?

The U with the two small dots above it is also found in the Mandarin dialect of the Chinese language (all dialects share the same written characters). It is pronounced as "oo" or "ou".

I don't know why they would have bothered with the diaeresis anyway -- I'm told that "lu" in Mandarin is always pronounced with the German "ü" vowel rather than the German "u" vowel anyway, so it's a distinction which doesn't need to be made.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back