• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clements/eBird 2012 update (1 Viewer)

'Clements' seems behind eBird as there is nothing on the Cornell site about the 2012 updates yet.
The revised eBird taxonomy has nothing to show what has changed, and I find the inclusion of all the horrible hybrids etc etc distracting.
Hopefully the Clements update when it comes will have the usual list of changes as well as the revised chart.

Steve

Ebird also came out with the Excel list before the Clements update last year, so that is just the way it is.

Niels

The website shows the changes http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/taxonomic-update-august-2012
though the excel file doesn't seem to
Des

One major change to eBird taxonomy that I don't see mentioned on the website is the reorganization and expansion of the Tharupidae (Tanagers & Allies). The sequence of species has been overhauled and Bananaquit, together with many birds formerly classed as emberizids have been moved there, i.e. Flowepiercers, most seedeaters, and many other finch-like birds such as Slaty Finch, Sierra-finches, Saffron Finch, etc.

Jim

Last edited:
I think that's because what you saw on eBird is targeted at birders and is strictly concerned with splits and lumps.

When I look at my lists on eBird I can see for example that they have implemented the change which puts Falconiformes after Piciformes, although they didn't mention that on the web page. Likewise they may well have made the changes you commented about -- for example I see Bananaquit between seedeaters and grassquits -- but the only way to tell for sure would be to download their spreadsheet.

I think that's because what you saw on eBird is targeted at birders and is strictly concerned with splits and lumps.

When I look at my lists on eBird I can see for example that they have implemented the change which puts Falconiformes after Piciformes, although they didn't mention that on the web page. Likewise they may well have made the changes you commented about -- for example I see Bananaquit between seedeaters and grassquits -- but the only way to tell for sure would be to download their spreadsheet.

The other changes in sequence and groupings you reference are definitely mentioned on the website (text reproduced below); the changes to Tharupidae I mention are reflected in the new taxonomy in their spreadsheet, and I also have printouts of pre-August eBird lists from this year showing the old taxonomy, so that's how I know there was a change.

Jim
In 2012, there were several significant changes:
  • Parrots (Psittaciformes) and Falcons & Caracaras (Falconiformes) are now believed to be each others' closest relatives, and sister to Passeriformes. Believe it or not, hawks (Accipitriformes) are not closely related to falcons, despite the apparent similarity, and falcons are technically closer to Ruby-crowned Kinglet or House Sparrow!
  • The sequences within hawks (Accipitriformes), Ovenbirds (Furnariidae), and Wrens (Troglodytidae), have been significantly reshuffled; note that many of these changes within Accipitriformes have not yet been adopted by the NACC (e.g., the placement of Golden Eagle), so the sequence of that family may appear somewhat unfamiliar to North American users.
  • Some familiar genera, especially those in nightjars (Caprimulgidae) and Fringillidae, have changed around. Also, Purple, House, and Cassin's Finches are no longer referred to as Carpodacus -- now they are Haemorhous !
  • The sequence of some New World suboscine families has been revised, from

Furnariidae Ovenbirds and Woodcreepers
    Thamnophilidae Typical Antbirds
    Formicariidae Antthrushes
    Grallariidae Antpittas
    Conopophagidae Gnateaters
    Rhinocryptidae Tapaculos
    Melanopareiidae Crescentchests

to

Thamnophilidae Typical Antbirds

Melanopareiidae Crescentchests
    Conopophagidae Gnateaters
    Grallariidae Antpittas
    Rhinocryptidae Tapaculos
    Formicariidae Antthrushes
    Furnariidae Ovenbirds and Woodcreepers

Last edited:
Thanks for the update; lots to work on there. One thing I noticed immediately:

"•Urrao Antpitta Grallaria urraoensis -- RANGE: Northern part of Western Andes of Colombia (Antioquia) (MAP) [Enter your records]"

cheers, alan

also:
Antioquia Wren Thryophilus sernai -- RANGE: Arid Cauca Valley, Antioquia, Colombia (MAP) [Enter your records]
!!

I agree that the group does seem to have a problem with deadlines. On the other hand, I know enough of what is going on to know that it is not because they are lazy.

Niels

The Clements Checklist:

Updates & Corrections

September 14, 2012

The official 2012 update to the eBird/Clements Checklist is still in preparation, but you can find a discussion of most of the changes at eBird. We'll upload the list and post the completed documentation here as soon as we can. In the meantime, keen taxonomists and itchy twitchers can read an in-depth treatment of the upcoming changes to basic taxonomy (at the group, species, and family levels) on the eBird Taxonomic Update page.

Please keep in mind that the eBird and Clements Checklist taxonomies are the same at the level of the group and higher (species, families, orders). That's why we now can refer to the eBird/Clements Checklist! Of course, the two versions of this taxonomy have some differences, the most important of which are that only the Clements Checklist includes all subspecies or provides a short range description for each subspecies or species.

STANDARD UPDATES and CORRECTIONS
Page 8,*Red-necked Grebe*Podiceps grisegena
Correct the scientific name of the North American subspecies from*Podiceps grisegena holboellii*to*Podiceps grisegena holbollii.
Reference:
****1973. Thirty-second supplement to the American**Ornithologists' Union*Check-list of North American birds. Auk 90: 411-419.
*32.5.2. A name published with a diacritic or other mark, ligature, apostrophe, or hyphen, or a species-group name published as separate words of which any is an abbreviation, is to be corrected.
32.5.2.1. In the case of a diacritic or other mark, the mark concerned is deleted, except that in a name published before 1985 and based upon a German word, the umlaut sign is deleted from a vowel and the letter "e" is to be inserted after that vowel (if there is any doubt that the name is based upon a German word, it is to be so treated).
Examples.*nuñezi*is corrected to*nunezi, and*mjøbergi*to*mjobergi, but*mülleri*(published before 1985) is corrected to*muelleri.
I guess this is correct. Widely spelled hoboellii. Name originally holböllii so you strike the mark and it becomes holbolllii since Captain Holböll was not German. Born in Copenhagen. Rhienhardt was professor of zoology at Uni. Of Copenhagen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Peter_Holbøll .

http://archive.org/stream/videnskabeligeme00dans#page/76/mode/2up .
Published Dec. 21, 1853 so really 1854?

A. CHANGES FOR PURELY NOMENCLATURAI. REASONS
I. Required by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature.
a. Under Code Arts. 26, 27, 32(c) (/)--as to compound names, requiring omission
of hyphens in all but one situation, and of diacreses and other marks.
Page 4 Podiceps grisegena holb•llii becomes P. g. holbollii.
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v090n02/p0411-p0419.pdf .

Holbøll's Red-necked Grebe

Page 8,*Red-necked Grebe*Podiceps grisegena
Correct the scientific name of the North American subspecies from*Podiceps grisegena holboellii*to*Podiceps grisegena holbollii.
Reference:
****1973. Thirty-second supplement to the American**Ornithologists' Union*Check-list of North American birds. Auk 90: 411-419.
The correction to holbollii was also implemented in H&M3 Corrigenda 8 (2008), citing AOU, 1973, Auk 90: 412.

Zoonomen (Alan Peterson):
Podiceps grisegena holbollii Nomenclature (spelling)
  • Originally spelled Podiceps Holböllii.

• This spelling was changed to Podiceps holboellii in Peters Checklist 1(2):151, and this spelling has been followed without question or comment by many others (e.g. H&M 3rd:80; HBW 1:192; AOU CL 7th:8, &c.). This bird was named after Capt. Carl Holböll (as indicated in the Richmond Index) and spelling the specific epithet "holboellii" would be correct if the Capt. was German. (ICZN Code Art. 32.5.2.1) otherwise "holbollii" is correct.

• The Mearnses in "Biographies for Birdwatchers" 1988 p.[197] write regarding Carl Peter Holböll :
    Holböll was a Danish zoologist whose long association with Greenland lasted from the 1820's until his death in 1856, when a ship that was taking him from Copenhagen to Greenland sank and disappeared without a trace. During his visits to the north he travelled extensively and took every opportunity to collect for the Royal Natural History Museum at Copenhagen. ...​
  • It appears that Richmond was incorrect about Holböll being a Captain of the ship but quite clearly Holböll was not German. The spelling "holboellii" is inconsistent with the Code.

• The Wikipedia biographical sketch indicates that Holböll was an officer in the Danish Navy.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but when I saw this:

A. CHANGES FOR PURELY NOMENCLATURAI. REASONS
I. Required by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature.
a. Under Code Arts. 26, 27, 32(c) (/)--as to compound names, requiring omission
of hyphens in all but one situation, and of diacreses and other marks.
Page 90 Somateria mollissima v. nigra becomes S. m. v-nigra
http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v09...0411-p0419.pdf .

I disagree with this, in my opinion this should be S. m. v-nigrum.

https://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Auk/v072n03/p0292-p0295.pdf says:

56. Somateria mollissima v-nigra Gray, 1856,i s to be listed as Somateria mollissirna v. nigra Bonaparte, from Somateria v. nigrum Bonaparte, Comptes Rendus
Acad. Sci. (Paris), vol. 41, no. 17 (not earlier than Oct. 22), 1855, p. 661.
(Contrées les plus boreales d'Amerique = Kotzebue Sound, Alaska.)

So they give Bonaparte as the author and his v. nigrum should be corrected to v-nigrum.

ICZN art. 31.2.1 and especially the example is a noun in apposition (nigrum neuter, agreeing with v, because letters of the alphabet are neuter) and needs not to agree in gender with the generic name with wich it is combined, but the original spelling is to be retained.

So I wonder why v-nigra is not corrected to v-nigrum.

Theo

Small rant coming up!o:D

Re "Examples.*nuñezi*is corrected to*nunezi, and*mjøbergi*to*mjobergi, but*mülleri*(published before 1985) is corrected to*muelleri", I can't get my head round ICZN (with the emphasis on 'International') and other organisations wanting to remove diacriticals at all.:eek!:

If a name is taken from another language, then is should be as in that language (if the script is different, such as Cyrillic, then you have the problem of transliteration). If the name is amended simply to make English-speakers more comfortable, then tough.;)

Other languages are not inferior, which is what the quotation above suggests, but the irony is that the rules within AOU and ICZN are not being applied just to the English language itself, but to scientific names (usually Latin-based). After all, diacriticals are easily available from the 'Insert Symbol' table... :-C

I assume anyone reading this, if writing to someone in Germany or Spain, for example, would not be so rude as not to bother with diacriticals for names of places or people (yes I know that some accents have alternative spellings), and so in the much more formally structured circumstance of ICZN rules, the weight of the argument surely should follow the precedent of courtesy and manners?
MJBo:)

Last edited:
Urrao Antpitta

One thing I noticed immediately:
"•Urrao Antpitta Grallaria urraoensis -- RANGE: Northern part of Western Andes of Colombia (Antioquia) (MAP) [Enter your records]"
At least the 'complication' is acknowledged...
Page (addition), Urrao Antpitta Grallaria urraoensis

Urrao Antpitta (Grallaria urraoensis) is a newly described species, with range "northern part of Western Andes of Colombia (Antioquia)." Remarkably, this species was described in two different publications, by separate teams of investigators, so there are two competing names for this new species. This kind of complication has happened many times before in the history of ornithology, but is rare in the modern era. We follow SACC in adopting the names Urrao Antpitta (Grallaria urraoensis); see SACC Proposal 479 for one discussion of the nomenclatural issues. These names also were adopted by the IOC World Bird List, but BirdLife International uses a different name, Antioquia Antpitta Grallaria fenwickorum. Insert Urrao Antpitta between Tawny Antpitta (Grallaria quitensis) and Brown-banded Antpitta (Grallaria milleri).

Reference: Carantón-Ayala, D., and K. Certuche-Cubillos. 2010. New species of antpitta (Grallariidae: Grallaria) from the northern sector of the western Andes of Colombia. Ornitología Colombiana 9: 56-70.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back