• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Adelie colony found (1 Viewer)

Amazing discovery, but there is a very strange paragraph in the article:

"The result is of major significance because it would appear the archipelago has somehow avoided the recent Adélie declines documented elsewhere on the peninsula, particularly on its western side."

How are they assessing that? There could have been 5 million there last year and this colony has suffered the biggest decline of all colonies, how would they know if this colony was unknown until recently.

Amazing discovery, but there is a very strange paragraph in the article:

"The result is of major significance because it would appear the archipelago has somehow avoided the recent Adélie declines documented elsewhere on the peninsula, particularly on its western side."

How are they assessing that? There could have been 5 million there last year and this colony has suffered the biggest decline of all colonies, how would they know if this colony was unknown until recently.

Mapping of some birds is done by counting birds on the fresh guano area: if only a small proportion of the guano area is occupied during the breeding season, then one conclusion is that there has been a population reduction. I'm assuming here that this new colony has breeding birds pretty well over the entire fresh guano area.
MJB

Mapping of some birds is done by counting birds on the fresh guano area: if only a small proportion of the guano area is occupied during the breeding season, then one conclusion is that there has been a population reduction. I'm assuming here that this new colony has breeding birds pretty well over the entire fresh guano area.
MJB

Yes, i thought of that this morning with a clearer head! But then i thought, what about if this colony has recently received an influx of birds from the other (declining) colonies. I guess they know the movements of these birds and assume that they are very colony faithful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back